Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corn and Feeders

Default Corn and Feeders

I’ve been dumping 100lbd sacks of cob corn on the ground to find it gone in less than a week. Mostly deer, I see the occasional raccoon, turkeys or squirrel on camera. I have permission to hunt a new track of land that's mainly pines, so I’ve been feeding with corn. What do you all prefer, cob, shelled, or feeders, throw on the ground? I’ve heard people claim that when deer hear the feeders go off they come to it I just have a hard time believing that. I know the few times I’ve hunted next to a feeder it would scare the ever living shit out of me when it went off.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I’ve been dumping 100lbd sacks of cob corn on the ground to find it gone in less than a week. Mostly deer, I see the occasional raccoon, turkeys or squirrel on camera. I have permission to hunt a new track of land that's mainly pines, so I’ve been feeding with corn. What do you all prefer, cob, shelled, or feeders, throw on the ground? I’ve heard people claim that when deer hear the feeders go off they come to it I just have a hard time believing that. I know the few times I’ve hunted next to a feeder it would scare the ever living shit out of me when it went off.
    We've got All Season Feeders and can throw a bag or two in there and not have to worry about it for awhile. It doesn't scare me, either. I guess I'm just used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

When do you set them to go off?

i'd prefer cob, but it adds up too quick!....i've had the same cheap feeder from academy for at least 6 years....other than a new battery, all i've changed is the motor.....never seen em running to it like a dinner bell, but they've been feeding close by and barely lift a head when it goes off....i don't think it attracts your bigger bucks like the feed-anytime cob does

I'm switching over to just feeders after this season. I'm getting tired of them eating 600 pounds of shell corn a week on only two stands. I'm running one feeder on my farm that they don't seem to mind as long as the turkeys don't eat it all before the deer get there.

I've been using a feeder behind my house for years and the deer will run to it when it goes off. I watched a button buck stand under the feeder and get pelted with corn the other day when it went off and he didn't even move.

The 200 acres that backs up to my property has been running feeders and is getting the same bucks eating under them as I get on cornpiles so I don't think they mind them too much.

Takes a while to get them used to the feeders but once they are on it its no difference.

you think 100lbs a week is bad, i have a little tract i put three FULL ranger beds of earned corn in one spot and it was gone in a week. Those bastards can learn to fend for themselves now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I have three piles going.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I run feeders that go off at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. The deer get on the schedule. I only throw enough to attract them, not feed them. Some places that have a lot of turkeys only get the evening feeding. The deer at my place are not scared of the feeder and don't run off when it goes off. It makes me damn near jump out of the stand every time though.

I have some other stands that I use a shoulder satchel spreader for (Earthway). I put out 25 lbs. every two or three days and try to spread it into the weeds and grass to make them search for it. I find that deer prefer it spread out over piled up.

I've moved away from tripod feeders to directional feeders like the ones used for pond feeders (Aquapro, Sweeney). They are much easier to fill since I can do it standing on the ground. They're pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I run feeders that go off at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. The deer get on the schedule. I only throw enough to attract them, not feed them. Some places that have a lot of turkeys only get the evening feeding. The deer at my place are not scared of the feeder and don't run off when it goes off. It makes me damn near jump out of the stand every time though.

I have some other stands that I use a shoulder satchel spreader for (Earthway). I put out 25 lbs. every two or three days and try to spread it into the weeds and grass to make them search for it. I find that deer prefer it spread out over piled up.I've moved away from tripod feeders to directional feeders like the ones used for pond feeders (Aquapro, Sweeney). They are much easier to fill since I can do it standing on the ground. They're pricey though.
    I have wanted to try this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    When do you set them to go off?
    Like PB, 7a and 5p. Don't feed them per say, just enough to grab their attention for a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I'm glad i don't have to put corn out, that's some $
    Last edited by dhall1693; 11-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I went with gravity feeders at my farm. No noise, no batteries, no issues except the occasional squirrel or raccoon eating out of them and chewing. Its taken some time for the bucks to get use to them but now after 3 years, I have pictures of 3.5 year old bucks eating out of them. http://banksoutdoors.com/product/feedbank-300/ These are my favorite. Mount it on a 4x4 post and put a stove pipe around the post, and then you no longer have the squirrel or raccoon problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I got through about 1000lbs a week. We usually hunt one day during the middle of the week and then again on Saturday or Sunday (3 people). We dump 2 bags per stand out on the weekends for the weekday hunt and do the same thing on the weekday hunt for the weekend hunt. We barely have corn left when we do go and hunt, it's usually just a few hulls and kernels. For example, I dumped 3 bags out Saturday for the stand I hunted this morning and there wasn't a single kernel left. Shelled corn seems to be more popular in our area however I did throw out some cob corn a few weeks ago to see if it last longer. The deer actually seemed to be skidish of it at first. I can't even get the deer at my place to eat apples consistently.

We have tripod feeders at all of our permenant stands just to supplement and corn piles and try and get them used to the feeders. We have found that some of the feeders don't bother the deer at all and they will use the pretty well, but the next feeder 400 yards through the woods receives very little use. We have ours going off for 10 seconds at noon every day but would like to eventually change it to a morning/evening type deal
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

The feeders on timers w/ shelled corn will definitely save you money vs. throwing down cob to see a herd of just 7 or 8 wipe it out in two days.
    I bought two hanging motorized feeders from VisorGuy at the beginning of the season and the deer are on them. Have them set at 7am and 5pm for 4 seconds each time.
    4 seconds puts down one pound of shelled cob. We also have two smaller 6 gallon ones in hardwoods and the deer keep it clean underneath them.
    True story; we have a cull buck that weighs about 80 lbs that has two points on one side and one long cow horn on the other side. We call him "Dabo" as he is a full blown retard. When the feeder goes off, he comes running in immediately. We have literally had to chase him off at times. I have spared him thinking he was acting like a "live decoy" and would attract a larger buck but it hasn't happened.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-30-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    I'm glad i don't have to put corn out, that's some $
    This! Do deer not browse and eat acorns anymore?

The feeders have to be established because its not Texas, took me three years to get them fuckers to be comfortable around them ,be warned ,critters will tear your shit up ,dont go cheap ,and dont give up on it will piss u off at times and have clean corn ,not trash,sticks, and i love them in middle of a cutdown,less critters

Solar panels

Sweeney feeders with solar panels. Buy once cry once.

Build a 32"X32" table about 3'-3.5' tall, take some flat stock 12-16" long and bend it with a 3" 90 on one end. Get a 4' section of 18" corrugated smooth wall pipe and bolt the legs to it leaving the pipe up about 1 1/2"-2". Bolt that to the table. Sink the table in the ground so that 16" of it is up. Fill it with shell corn, go slow with the first bucket. Should take 9-10 5 gallon buckets to fill and holds about 3-350# of corn. Make a top and bungee it down. Fill it every three weeks or so, more if you got hogs.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Build a 32"X32" table about 3'-3.5' tall, take some flat stock 12-16" long and bend it with a 3" 90 on one end. Get a 4' section of 18" corrugated smooth wall pipe and bolt the legs to it leaving the pipe up about 1 1/2"-2". Bolt that to the table. Sink the table in the ground so that 16" of it is up. Fill it with shell corn, go slow with the first bucket. Should take 9-10 5 gallon buckets to fill and holds about 3-350# of corn. Make a top and bungee it down. Fill it every three weeks or so, more if you got hogs.
    I've been hearing about things like this. You got a link mark?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid