Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grendel Field Report

The only drawback to the Grendel is, in the AR 15 platform, the bolts and extractors fail. There are 3-4 of us shooting them in matches and every one of us has had a rifle go down due to broken components. I had mine crash at a 3 Gun Nation long range match in Virginia and at the 2 man Team match at the Clinton House. Both were Alexander Arms extractors. I've since put a JP in , at 3 times the cost, and it's been fine. There isn't much meat left on the bolt face and that's it's Achilles heel. May never see that in a bolt gun. It's a fantastic little cartridge.

FLS, so you would recommend buying a 2nd bolt and keeping it around? I don't plan on shooting this gun that much, but I like to be prepared.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

I've read that there was a batch of AA "hard use" bolts that were prone to cracking. That seems to have been corrected or at least not as common as before.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I would buy a couple of JP extractors. I may replace my bolt too. The barrel is a hammer. It will shoot half MOA if I do my part. It's a Frankenstein gun made out of parts I had laying around.

You may have mentioned it, but what barrel did you use?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Alexander Arms 24" with and .875 gas block. It had some goofy thread on it. I had Robbie Wheaton re crown and retread it 5/8-24 so I could run a 308 comp.

Gotcha. I'm likely just going the bolt gun course if I do this, and it will be on a Howa action. The comments I saw in that forum about the new CZ weren't too glowing. My concept would be to get whatever the lightest contour barrel I can that will still have ample "meat" when chopped back and threaded at 16.5". With the can, the effective "barrel length" would be 23.5" OAL. Figuring it as a woods and "walk-around" gun. This is all sorta hinging on how well the 6.8 SPC does when I finally get it built. I may not need the Howa, but I don't need 90% of what I have anyway.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen