Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G Loomis???

Default G Loomis???

Picked up a 7' G Loomis e6x yesterday. As far as I can tell they don't mass produce many of their rods. It feels like a good rod but obviously have not fished with it yet. They aren't nearly as expensive as some of their other stuff they make. I have been using Veritas rods from Abu for the last few years. Anybody have any info on them? Will be used for inshore fishing.

When I fished a lot I used several gloomis technique specific rods. I had a shaky head rod that I swear you could feel the fish looking at the worm. Broke one rod and they stood behind it. Good rods for sure but too rich for my blood the older I got. Not familiar with the particular line you're speaking of though
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Some fly stuff and my top water rockfish rods are. I like them also because they look and sound fancy.

Ive got the inshore model. 7'6" I believe. I love it for redfish and trout

With a Loomis you have to cast to the fish and not at them.
    DILLIGAF

My uncle has multiple G Loomis rods, I use them when I fish with him on occasion and they are very sensitive.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Loomis built the best rod manufacturing facility in the US. Around 2000, Shimano bought Loomis to get a rod manufacturing facility so they could produce higher end rods since they were leading the high end reel market at the time. I have no idea what product lines exist today within the brand but had an insider view of that world in those days. A more "sensitive" rod is simply a rod that has a higher stiffness to weight ratio. There are other variables but I'm trying to keep Toofer off my ass here. The big tradeoffs with pushing the stiffness to weight ratio is cost and durability. If you want to be strictly practical about it, there aren't many saltwater fishing applications where "sensitivity" is going to improve performance. Even their high end fly rods have an action that is so fast, only the best casting technique struggles to take advantage of the efficiency offered in the design. So...most people end up with expensive status symbols that break easily. To each their own....
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

They are ok now. The e6 is a cheaper model. Not nearly as good as the years prior to Shimano purchasing them. They have changed many of the blanks on the rods and not for the better. The old IMX rod was probable one of the best rods ever produced. The new blanks suck compared to them. The customer service is not nearly as good now that Shimano has them. I have several of their rods because at one time they were really good not because it is a status symbol. I do not like the newer rods and do not purchase them anymore. Many rods out there that are a lot cheaper and better for the money. Just my opinion.

Also to go off my other post, I have a Bronzeback 7'2" ML that is much more sensitive than the E6X if that's what you're going for. It's a little bit more expensive but they're both worth the money if you fish a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    They are ok now. The e6 is a cheaper model. Not nearly as good as the years prior to Shimano purchasing them. They have changed many of the blanks on the rods and not for the better. The old IMX rod was probable one of the best rods ever produced. The new blanks suck compared to them. The customer service is not nearly as good now that Shimano has them. I have several of their rods because at one time they were really good not because it is a status symbol. I do not like the newer rods and do not purchase them anymore. Many rods out there that are a lot cheaper and better for the money. Just my opinion.
    I don't pay attention anymore but started putting together a blank business about that time and the IMX was one of templates for my technical bass designs. Not much could be done to improve the performance given the materials available at the time. Through trial and error, Gary Loomis had that one nailed down. I had a composite materials engineer as a partner and we had both been in the industry for a short spell. There were improvements that could be made around cost and efficiency of materials used in that design. I was also interested in a direct sales model for discerning custom rod builders. Lots of margin to trim when the wholesalers and retailers get cut out. Wife got pregnant and quit work. My sense of responsibility ultimately overwhelmed my entrepreneurial courage but I still have some prototypes floating around in the garage somewhere.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

spine is important to me.

your ass isnt.

nor is customer service, to be honest. I dont mind buying quality and if I fuck it up, I throw it away and get a new one.

I want to include that you people return more shit to cabelas than imaginable...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

oh, and I bass fish a lot and would love a free rod....

and any chance to get to talk to your sweet wife about you.

oh, and I bass fish a lot and would love a free rod....

and any chance to get to talk to your sweet wife about you.
    I'm going to assume you are replying to swipa? i doubt you want to talk to my wife. Your ears will need an ice pack when she's done. Thanks for all replies. About what I figured.

spine is important to me.

your ass isnt.

nor is customer service, to be honest. I dont mind buying quality and if I fuck it up, I throw it away and get a new one.

I want to include that you people return more shit to cabelas than imaginable...
    Can't hide $

cant hide pride

and yes, was talking to stripa.

cant hide pride

and yes, was talking to stripa.

I'm with you. Had the one I broke not been $395 and broken while setting the hook on a fish I wouldn't have sent it back either. I ain't sending a rod back that i stepped on or slammed in my tailgate
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 11-29-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    I can assure you I didn't buy it as a status symbol. Needed a new rod and liked the feel of it. If you would, can you list out a few rods cheaper that are better? Like I said, I have not ventured away from Veritas for a while. Do not like their newest design.

CH - I sent you a pm.

Got it. Appreciate the replies.

I've got a Loomis GLX 8 wt. fly rod my wife bought me almost 20 years ago. (I've got a really cool wife.) When the tip top guide broke a couple years ago (post Shimano acquisition), I had trouble finding a replacement. I had them ship me a replacement rod. They no longer made a 4 piece with the same blank so I had to "upgrade" to the newer Cross Current version of the rod. I subsequently found a replacement guide and was able to try both rods side by side. The older legacy rod was noticeably more nimble and light. It's an extremely fast action and requires pretty strict timing but when you get it right, it's a rocket. The newer rod wasn't bad but it just didn't have the magic. I ended up sending the new rod back.

I'm much more careful with my old rod now because it would break my heart to have to replace it. I never use heavy clousers with it simply because I'm scared I'll ding it.