Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse

Default Grouse

I have a hankering to kill a grouse in SC. I'm not looking for anybodies "spot", but can someone point me in a direction where I might start looking. As a kid, i would occasionally jump one in the Horsepasture area while trout fishing. I know 2000+ feet, 2-3 yo cutover, creek bottoms, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PM JABIII.

He has all the grouse info.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Cant say ive seen a picture of one killed in SC, they about like black panthers.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Good luck. I have not seen one in SC in many years. You might find Bigfoot before you do a SC Grouse. I have hunted them in NC for over 20 years, but never in SC. Their population across the Southern Appalachians has declined steadily over the past few decades and rapidly in the past fifteen years. You can thank the environmental preservationists and their ignorance of natural resource management for that. Timber cutting on NF is almost non existent now in the mountains and has been for a long time.

My suggestion would be to find the highest elevations you can. If you have a dog, take it. Look for a cut in the 10-20 year age class. Later in the year concentrate on rhododendron and laurel thickets near spring seeps in the steepest most rugged terrain around. When standing straight up if you can, and the side of the mountain is about 18” from your nose, you are getting close.

Are you on FacePage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Use to be some over near Grey Court. I set them out and my dad and his buddy missed every one of them. That little shorthair I had was pissed about it too. I think he cussed my dad all the way home.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Are you on FacePage?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    No.
    There was some group on their dedicated to Ruffed Grouse in the Southeastern Mountain region of the United States. Only reason I ask.

Good luck with your search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Good luck. I have not seen one in SC in many years. You might find Bigfoot before you do a SC Grouse. I have hunted them in NC for over 20 years, but never in SC. Their population across the Southern Appalachians has declined steadily over the past few decades and rapidly in the past fifteen years. You can thank the environmental preservationists and their ignorance of natural resource management for that. Timber cutting on NF is almost non existent now in the mountains and has been for a long time.

My suggestion would be to find the highest elevations you can. If you have a dog, take it. Look for a cut in the 10-20 year age class. Later in the year concentrate on rhododendron and laurel thickets near spring seeps in the steepest most rugged terrain around. When standing straight up if you can, and the side of the mountain is about 18” from your nose, you are getting close.
    Thanks. I'm going to give it a try. At the very least it will be a beautiful Saturday walk in the mountains. Great exercise.

Be careful if you are hitting public land, especially with a dog. Deer season is still open. I do not run my dogs on public land during deer season.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    PM JABIII.

He has all the grouse!
    FTFY and trust me, he does.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Be careful if you are hitting public land, especially with a dog. Deer season is still open. I do not run my dogs on public land during deer season.
    I would assume you're hunting quail some as well?

I can probably point you in the direction of a covey or two if you would let me tag along
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Old grown up apple orchards can be good at certain times too.

Here's an article I found that talks about grouse hunting in SC:

http://www.seriousbirdhunting.com/20...outh-carolina/

There's more at the link but here is one part:

This topic came up when Google dumped an article on us titled “Fighting to save S.C.’s hemlocks.” Way down in the copy was this line: “The ruffed grouse, a chicken-like game bird, seeks shelter in the hemlocks from predators.”

[In case you’re wondering where these chicken-like birds are, the article is about the Coon Branch Natural Area, “near Whitewater Falls along the North Carolina border…. Thick, cathedral-like groves of hemlocks can be found in an area along the Whitewater River and a trail through Coon Branch, just off the 77-mile long Foothills Trail.”]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I would assume you're hunting quail some as well?

I can probably point you in the direction of a covey or two if you would let me tag along
    Sounds good. I’ll send you a PM.

Thanks everybody. Shooting a SC grouse is on my bucket list. I haven't seen one in 45 years.

Doesn't look difficult

"Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I gave bear hunting a try 2 years ago. Saw a grouse on 2 of the 3 days. Of course I had no idea the rarity of the event at the time. I now know I could probably spend the rest of my life intentionally looking for one and will never see one again!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not much help maybe and it's been more than a few years but have seen grouse (once) crossing the FS646 road up near Burrell's Ford on the Chattooga river. I've also heard one drumming during turkey season on the Chestnut Ridge Heritage preserve tract on the backside of Squirrel mountain.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Use to be some over near Grey Court. I set them out and my dad and his buddy missed every one of them. That little shorthair I had was pissed about it too. I think he cussed my dad all the way home.
    No grouse, but I did see an escaped chukar on our lease in Gray Court 'bout 10 years ago. It was off Georgia Rd.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

If yall remember I had a damn Peacock at the bird feeder back for this site went to shit.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"