Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What broadheads do you shoot and why?

Default What broadheads do you shoot and why?

What and why do you shoot what you shoot?

I’m making the switch from hypodermics to Magnus Buzzcuts (100 grains).

Thought behind this is that it doesn’t much matter what you shoot within 25 yards but if you care to take a longer shot penetration becomes more important. Saying that-my next move is probably a heavier broadhead but don’t want to sacrifice too much of a flat shot.

I know rages can be satisfyingly gorey and leave a huge blood trail but wonder about consistency and penetration. Especially after listening to a podcast from a professional tracker on the subject.

Shoot away.

Rocket Hammeheads because they always open, stay intact, fly like broadheads and give great bloodtrails.

I shoot Muzzy 100 gr. No particular reason other than they work. That is what I shot 15 years ago when I hunted around lot, so I decided to go back with them when I started back recently.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Big Mechanicals shine if you miss and hit the guts. Fixed shine if you miss and hit the shoulder. Both work if you put the arrow In the ribs. I like a smaller profile fixed head because of flight characteristics. Buzz cut wil do fine, but you may have to broadhead tune more than you’d care to. Check out the black hornet if you’re sold on Mangus (great company). Exodus, slick trick (I like the viper trick), ramcat, etc will fly similar to field points if your bow is putting bullet holes through paper. I go the other route with weight up front. I like to stay with 100 grain heads (availability is easier) and shoot a heavy insert in my shaft. I’m shooting a black eagle rampage shaft with a 55gn insert and 100gn broadhead. Flys like a dart, good weight FOC, and I can take advantage of the millions of 100gn heads out there.

I’m open to others, but will likely finish out the year with these.

Someone named “Zwickey” is reading this thread..
    Last edited by Ghetto; 11-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Slick tricks. Shot them for a long time and then switched up and started shooting swhackers. Killed several with swhackers last year and early this season but with every shot I had penetration issues. Shot two different bucks that stopped the arrow dead in its tracks when the swhackers blades hit ribs at a 90 degree angle. For my set up (older/slower switchback with mid weight arrows) fixed is the only way to go IMO. More kinetic energy out of the faster bows is much more forgiving with the big expandables. I will say that the swhackers killed them dead as hell, but I couldn’t get over not having an exit wound.

Slick tricks or magnus stinger(2-blade), Always better to have two holes. Have blown threw multiple shoulders with these heads.

When i shot mechanicals, i always shot the nap killzones. Had one get hung up in offside shoulder so i mainly shoot fixed blades now.

Slick Trick magnums because I like having an exit wound and I have faith that they'll punch through a shoulder blade. I shot 6 or 7 deer with NAP killzones and never had an issue until I hit a big bodied buck (190-200 lbs) in the leg bone and got only 2 inches of penetration. If the broad head would have went in 6 or 7 inches it would have heart shot him. After that I switched back to fixed blades.

I've also had great luck with NAP thunderheads, I have a 215 lb and 205 lb buck on the wall that I killed with a 50 pound bow when I was 16 and never had a problem with penetration or blood trails with those heads.

Simmons Tiger Sharks 175 gr.

A well tuned bow and big heavy arrow with a fixed blade head has worked since the dawn of time and I see no need to fix what ain’t broke.

Tooth of the arrow 100gr. They are just like slick tricks but one solid piece. I like this better as they are tougher. I broke one and called the company and they sent me a free pack and practice tips. Customer service is jam up. They are one solid piece of Cnc steel.

The best blood trials I have gotten have come from small diameter cuts. I like 1” fixed blade broad heads. The main reason I shoot tooth is the arrow is because with that road head and four fletchings on my arrow, I have robin hooded two arrows with my field tips. They literally fly just like my field tips. Don’t get me wrong I have had most broad heads fly real close but not robin hooding multiple arrows.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-28-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Slick tricks. Need no reason close thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    Someone named “Zwickey” is reading this thread..
    Funny. I read it too buddy, even though I don't bow hunt. It seemed like casual reading even though I don't care for reading.

3 blade rage in 100 grain. I don't see a lack of down range penetration, but I shoot a pretty heavy arrow.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Grim reaper 100 grain razor tips. Very quiet, almost underground loyal following of bow hunters that would not shoot anything else! Research them.

125 grain Snuffers. I also shoot German Kinetics 2 blades on occasion. Stopped using mechs when I grew facial hair.
    Carolina Counsel

Slick Trick Magnums. Like already mentioned, they fly true, and they give you two holes the majority of the time. They flat out kill stuff.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

100 gr montec cs. Although I recently shot a buck with a slick trick and liked it. Just think the montec flies the best and I can resharpen it to shave. The blades always open because .... well, they are open
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

135gr Simmons Land Sharks - cause Glenn said so.

Was using 125gr Slick Tricks but wanna give these heads a go.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

In my compound I have been shooting Slick Trick Magnums with 50grn inserts for the last 8-9 years. I like the convenience of the Slick Tricks as far as replacing blades and their blades have been some of the most consistently sharp out of the package I've ever used. I like the cut from the 4 blade design, the wound typically bleeds faster and I believe I have experienced less wounds getting plugged.

You mentioned Magnus Buzzcuts. I shot them along with Stingers for a few years and they are great heads. I noticed a higher percentage of deer that would stand there after the shot, or walk a short distance and fall over. I also noticed that out of probably 10-12 kills, almost every deer that ran would travel 40-50 and one time 100 yards before I would find any blood. I switched heads because I was hunting in a river swamp and often had water all around. I felt like the 2-blade or 2-blade with 2 small bleeders didn't get the wound opened up and bleeding as fast. After loosing a big buck and feeling like the 2-blade head was partially to blame I went to the Slick Tricks.

Over the years I've killed deer with the old WASP Cam-locs, Thunderheads, 3 blade Muzzys, Delta/Magnus Snuffers, Wensel Woodsmen and Zwickey Eskimos. The Wensel Woodsman is my preference in my recurves.