Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What broadheads do you shoot and why?

I shoot the green swacker 2” cut 100 grain heads. They fly great and I like their simple design and operation. I do carry a slick trick on one arrow in my quiver that I’ve wanted to try on a doe but haven’t yet. I like a mechanical because with the wider cutting diameter, I believe I have a larger margin of error if my shot isn’t perfect. Three tings that affect penetration: speed, weight, and drag. A heavier arrow, moving slower than a much lighter arrow, down range should penetrate better. You could always try the hypodermic +P broad heads. Their blade angles aren’t as severe as the standard hypodermics and therefore supposed to reduce drag and increase penetration.

I’ve started listening to the Nock On podcast that John Dudley makes. Some of his stuff can get over my head but for the most part I feel like I have learned a lot from listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

125gr slick trick magnums. Close thread.

I have tried several others over the years and the only thing I would ever consider again would be grim reapers. Just couldn’t shoot them with a 500+ grain FMJ, I exploded/mushroomed the end of the arrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

schwaker could be the most awesome broadhead out there but i'd never shoot them because that name is stupid as fuck
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Bipolar 125gr

Dey mean
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    schwaker could be the most awesome broadhead out there but i'd never shoot them because that name is stupid as fuck
    Haha it is pretty dumb. The old commercial made me laugh, “like throwing an axe through an animal”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

NAP Thunderhead 125 gr and my old NAP Supreme 125 gr as practice heads and backups since they shoot the same... or at least close enough for my skills and distances.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Muzzy 125s. Shot Woodsmans out of my **** bows, but now shoot muzzy out of everything. They've worked for the past 30 years for me.

Started out with muzzy 125gr 3 blades and for many years. Used Montec G5s for about 4 years, the same set, resharpened them as needed. Put the same head and arrow through 4 deer but after a while they won't hold an edge as well. Tried Slick Tricks standards and killed a few deer before moving on to the Magnum 125s. Very sharp and will continue to plow till you hit a rock or such. Still use the Muzzy 125s when I am low on the Slicks, just easier to find locally and on sale at times. No issues tuning with any of them, they all fly true.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 12-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles