Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer cooler?

i dont have any butchers, microbiologists, certified meat handlers, or dentites in my circle of close friends, but ive been hanging mine in a walk in cooler for 8-10 years, and processing my own for the last 4-5 years, usually 5-6 deer a year. My main reason for doing so is to ensure that i'm getting MY meat back, and I like to use beef fat for my burger, where most processors use pork fat.

I cant tell you a thing about the biology behind "aging" BUT i can say two things for 100% sure.

1. Deboning and cutting up a deer that has been hanging a few days makes it MUCH easier to "handle the meat". especially compared to the wet, soft, watery meat out of a cooler of ice.

2. When you pull the back straps out of a "been hanging a week" deer, the meat tears and is noticably more tender than a freshly killed deer.

Now, back to Jasons original question. Fuzzys set up wit the window unit and the cool bot thing works good. Also, ive seen a few people use old convenient store drink coolers, or old ice coolers. Gut the cooler and put you a pipe in the top to hang the deer from. You can easily fit 2-3 deer in one, and more if you quarter them up.

I've done the on ice method for a few since I wanted to try canning. It's been an eye opener and like Toofer, I'll probably start doing this even if I want to take the meat to the processor for sausage. I don't have a walk in cooler but would love to do a taste test of some tenderloins that have drained free of blood on ice for a week vs hung in a walk in cooler for a week. The loins I've grilled that have been on ice draining for a week have been stellar and completely free of any "game" flavor. Putting nothing on them but salt and pepper.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I've done the on ice method for a few since I wanted to try canning. It's been an eye opener and like Toofer, I'll probably start doing this even if I want to take the meat to the processor for sausage. I don't have a walk in cooler but would love to do a taste test of some tenderloins that have drained free of blood on ice for a week vs hung in a walk in cooler for a week. The loins I've grilled that have been on ice draining for a week have been stellar and completely free of any "game" flavor. Putting nothing on them but salt and pepper.
    yep
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I age mine, hide on, for anywhere from 45 min to two hours. Then I put a boot on em and roll em off the tailgate onto the concrete pad at the processor. Then I go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I age mine, hide on, for anywhere from 45 min to two hours. Then I put a boot on em and roll em off the tailgate onto the concrete pad at the processor. Then I go home.
    This is my method as well. Has worked for years for me. The meat tastes fine when I get back, all wrapped up in plastic, purty like.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Exactly this. But when you take it out of the freezer put your roast, loin, steak etc. in a colander with a bowl under it. Place in the fridge and let the capillary blood drain for a few days. You’ll be amazed what still comes out and how it smells.

http://www.sportingchef.com/dry-agin...john-mcgannon/

This explains it well. Same idea applies to cuts of venison

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Skin, gut, and hang for 2-4 weeks typically.
    Kevin, stick to dentistry!
    Troof... 16-20days hide off in 37degree ca-ca-ca-coolah
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

you and Cali can get a room together. PLENTY of science to say what you are doing is ABSURD.

But, keep on keepin' on.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you and Cali can get a room together. PLENTY of science to say what you are doing is ABSURD.

But, keep on keepin' on.
    so will you agree that SOMETHING is happening to the meat after 7-10 days hanging in the cooler? Or you believe that its the same as the day you kilt it?

Default Deer cooler?

I bet y’all hang your deer wrong in the cooler too.

“The ideal way to hang your ungulate for aging is using a technique called the tenderstretch method. The tenderstretch method is done by placing a hook beneath the pelvic hip bone or below the ligament passing along the backside. When done properly, the hindquarters of your deer will hang at a 90-degree angle. “

https://www.realtree.com/deer-huntin...rong-for-years
    Last edited by britton40; 11-28-2017 at 02:06 PM.

I also like Glenn's method
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    so will you agree that SOMETHING is happening to the meat after 7-10 days hanging in the cooler? Or you believe that its the same as the day you kilt it?
    no. most of what yall are talking about happens in 24 hours. the enzymes go to work after rigor. after 7 days, nothing is happening but drying.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    i dont have any butchers, microbiologists, certified meat handlers, or dentites in my circle of close friends, but ive been hanging mine in a walk in cooler for 8-10 years,
    That sounds a little too long to me.

I have been doing what my ole buddy from Tennessee has been doing for years. We 1/4 them, put them in white plastic garbage bags and put them in a refridge at 34 degrees for about 4 weeks. When we take them out, they stink terribly, but you wash off the blood and the meat is noticeably more tender and tastes great.

I age mine on a black plastic bed liner for at least five hours before kicking it off the tailgate into a pool of festering blood and guts for my deer guy to meticulously separate my aged deer from the rest of the deer that have been aged in a cooler full of ice.

G

This was the end of last season. I'm ready for it to look like that again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/