Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Game Rant

Default Post Game Rant

Ive got to say, yesterday was a bit of a low for me as a 2nd generation alumni, booster and 30+ year South Carolina fan. Not necessarily because of the game (although it was horrible at best) but because of what I dealt with and experienced in the stadium.

A little back story...I invited a good friend (who is a Clemson fan) to the game and he politely declined because in not so many words said he would most likely get in a fight due to obnoxious Carolina fans. I told him non-sense and that he would be just fine; regardless he still declined.

Fast forward to the game...I ended up taking another couple friend of mine who are also Clemson fans to the game. As we are walking into the game I had a "fan" and supposed student walk up to my friend and scream some things (which I wont get into) directly into his ear. My friend politely gave him the thumbs up while I ended up getting into an verbal altercation with him and his buddy (I told my buddy to stay out of this one, and he did). For those of you who know me, you know that I am one of the lest likely people to get into altercations but he crossed a line and that I couldn't ignore. Had the person who I originally invited went with me we would have in all likelihood ended up in jail. The moment passed and we went on to our seats.

Next up, I sit down and not 10 minutes after we sit down an older woman (65 years plus) sitting directly behind me, my wife and friends "quietly" (not really) tells her friend that she would rather eat her tickets before giving it to Clemson fans and that "real Carolina fans" would never give their tickets to opposing fans, etc. My wife who had had enough turned around and ended up getting into a verbal altercation with her and after much debate we agreed to disagree.

Fast forward to the start of the 2nd quarter, not 2 rows in front of me a group of 4 Carolina fans decided to be those fans to stand the entire time in front of a family of 4 Carolina fans with 2 young kids. After the dad asked him to sit down and with no luck, the dad asks again and then words and fingers started flying in front of the young girls.

Next I witness a student section start throwing bottles and I had had enough.

Now I know all teams have "bad fans" and most fans behave themselves but yesterday was really disappointing as an alumni. I have visited many opposing teams venues (Clemson, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Georgia to name a few), bowl games and a ton of Carolina home games and I can honestly say I have NEVER had a bad experience with an opposing teams fanbase, only my own sadly. I have many heard stories about "bad fans" and when I experienced altercations I always chalked it up to "bad fans" (for Carolina and other teams) and really not thought much of it. After yesterday and the conversation I had with the original person I was going to take to the game; it got me to thinking, is the Carolina fan base just really that bad?

It's one thing to make a stadium a "hostile" environment to play in, which I am all for. Cheer and scream for your team all you want, hate your rival if you want (I certainly do) and boo them if you wish, but show some class in doing it. I think Carolina fans have to realize that for the most part, successful schools (Clemson, Georgia, Bama etc.) are not "threatened" or "scared" of us when we play them because for the most part they have not had any reason to, which in my opinion, is why I feel I have had good experiences with them. Carolina fans on the other hand are frustrated due to our overall lack of success and in turn have to run our mouths to try and compensate.

For the record, I consider the banter that goes on on this website and most other forums quite entertaining and in good fun...for the most part. If you are a student of Carolina or a fan, I would ask that you do all you an to make Williams Brice as loud as possible and to make it as hard for opposing teams as possible, but show some class.

I am sure some of you will disagree with me and thats fine, but thats my opinion and after last night I felt the need to get it off my chest.

Congrats tigers on the win. You were the better team. I will be wearing my turnover chain next Saturday...

Ok, rant over

I wasn't there. But your post is very well put and on point.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Concrete jungle culture, you ain’t changing it.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Maybe so but I can’t at least complain about it.

This perfectly describes my and my wife’s last trip there. She was pregnant with my youngest son. He turns 10 in December. This isn’t a product of Spurrier success. It has been prevalent for a long time. From ice being thrown, to vulgar insults, to having police visit our seats about complaints of obscene language (oh the irony.). Incidentally we were offered 4 tickets this year. We watched on TV.

Until the university leadership steps in, free sex lots, public piss lots, tailgate fighting lots and all of the hospitality shown to visiting fans will continue. Until that culture is broken, Gamecocks will continue to be laughed at and ridiculed on and off the field.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Concrete jungle culture, you ain’t changing it.

Yep
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Anecdotal evidence. I've had bad experiences in almost every venue I've been to a game at.

We sat in East Club amongst a bunch of people from both sides and we all got along. It's just a damn game.

Edit- I will say though, the Clemson Carolina matchup should never be a night game.
    Last edited by murraywader; 11-26-2017 at 05:20 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Alcohol and immaturity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buncha sore losers. They typically act fine when they're winning, it's when they lose that the true colors shine through. Every team has some, of course. I'm not what you would refer to as a "well-traveled Tigers fan", so I haven't really haven't had enough interaction with many other team's fans to know how the coot faithful compare.

From your first hand account and what I saw on the TV last night, it's sounding like the coot culture is at rock bottom. I haven't been to a game there in almost a decade, I think. Last time the missus (who is a chicken alum) and I went to a Palmetto Bowl I bout got into a fist fight with one of the Gamecock faithful who was mildly intoxicated and didn't appreciate me pulling for my Tigers when they were up by a good margin. He let it be known to me with continued snide comments, despite his female companion's objections to them. They continued they came close to that line you referred to, and then the wife encouraged me it to exit stage left.

If we do go back to one at Willy B anytime soon it'll likely be in the confines of a nice tailgate spot, or against a ECU team that the chickens are almost guaranteed to win. Because other than that I'm not sure if I would want to take my daughter into that environment. Wifey missed her last chance to take my daughter with the Wofford game, so thank goodness it'll be next year before we have to make that call.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Late game. All day to “pre-game” = alcohol stupidity.

I’ve been in an argument with your wife i feel sorry for the “lady” behind y’all.

Night game and rivalry game isn't a good mix at any venue.

I will add however that I went to the UGA game in Columbia last year. Sat in the middle of the SC fans. There were a few comments and looks but most everyone around us was cool. We talked with a few. We we're close to the field in a heavy alumni ticket holder section. Later in the game when people started to leave and other people moved down from the upper deck the comments got a little louder. But still nothing bad.

The worst I have experienced we're UF fans in Jacksonville. I can overlook it from students. But old men were talking shit down there and getting in people's faces. We'd go out after the game and most of the younger crowd was great.

I was not there. I was at Clemson in 2012 when we lost #4. The Clemson fans were frustrated and not well behaved. Mostly students but I know stuff got thrown and there is a screenshot of a guy flipping the bird on tv. Per the videos it was a higher percentage on the fans last night but we have done it too. I think there is a 2012 post on here about it.

Dropping a class level or two is pretty much an epidemic across college football (just check our the sports forum regulars vs the other forums) maybe it is worse or maybe is it is the same at USC as I have no idea.... the bottle things was bush league amongst a student section that has been great all year.

Good win for Clemson, I have nothing negative as USC had their chance to show if they were on or near the same level, they arent.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Agree with everything in your original post, except for your wife arguing with the lady who doesn't sell tickets to visiting fans. What she does with HER tickets in nun ya business.

I've been to every SEC stadium minus Texas A&M and Missouri. Had mostly good experiences, a few bad ones. The folks at LSU are rough, and that's when they're winning. I'd hate to be there when they're losing. Anytime you get 90k people together, you're bound to have a few mouth breathers looking for trouble, that's any big time college football game on any given week.

The student section at S. Carolina last night was a disgrace. That being said, I tend to give young people a little bit of a pass, particularly when a full day of drinking is involved.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Every team has fans that will poison your oaks. Seems that some teams have a lot more than others. I did think the USC players had let it become personal the entire week and were too emotional and tried too hard to show they weren't intimidated by playing after the whistle and general thug crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Honestly it’s the main reason I don’t go to games anymore. I try to go to small games for my kids but to be honest I think they have just as much fun at the citadel games as they do usc games and well, you just don’t run into that crap at the citadel games.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Honestly it’s the main reason I don’t go to games anymore. I try to go to small games for my kids but to be honest I think they have just as much fun at the citadel games as they do usc games and well, you just don’t run into that crap at the citadel games.
    Because the citadel knows VMI cheerleaders will beat their ass

Again
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Because the citadel knows VMI cheerleaders will beat their ass

Again

Lol. Maybe so, but a few weeks ago I witnessed the bulldogs beat the crap out of vmi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I am a Clemson alum and last night will probably be the last Carolina-Clemson game I will go to. My girlfriend is a Carolina alum and we sat in a majority Carolina section. I did not have any problems all day long with any Carolina fans. I keep my mouth shut and show respect when I'm at someone else's home. We did have one lone Clemson fan behind us run his mouth until we left at half time. He made me want to kick his ass. He acted like a total child and had to let everyone know how great Clemson was doing. It's that kind of person that ruins it.