Thread: Float coat or inflatable pfd

Default Float coat or inflatable pfd

Looking into purchasing a float coat or inflatable pfd (for duck hunting)....float coat would provide more warmth but be more bulky for moving around....what do you use or prefer
    Last edited by HEAD; 11-24-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Onyx float coat. Mainly wear it while riding to and from, but will shoot with it on if its very cold... takes a little getting used to shooting with it on.

I would recommend inflatable. I have worn one for years duck hunting in all temps. Seem float coat would be hot for these parts. Inflatable becomes unnoticeable. Im trying to make myself wear it when fishing by myself too but keep forgetting it....only needed it once and damn glad I had it

Float coat for me. Floating around in ice cold water for 30 minutes convinced me that it gets plenty cold enough in SC to wear one now.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Both. Float coat while underway or anchored in deeper water (fishing, etc,) and an inflatable while hunting from an anchored boat near shore or wading in the timber...

If you can only afford one right now, go with the float coat. As flockbuster said, the water gets real cold pretty quickly. Been in a fast moving river current once and just glad we at least had our vests on, but a float coat would have been a big help.

Mustang, Onyx, and Stearn are all good choices, from what I know of them (in that order). Stearns used to offer a camo version, but if I offer my camo one to someone hunting with me (it's a bit larger), then I wear the orange one and just put a camo shell over it.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-25-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

It looks like Cabela’s has an inflatable in their cyber Monday deal. $79.99-$89.99 normally $149-$159 or something close to that.

Float coat.

Float coat. If it's 60 and the boat is moving then you won't be hot. If you need a PFD when the boat isn't moving then this sport ain't for you and you should take up gaming, golf, or any one of the other fagot hobbies
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Mustang float coat is the only option. The rest aren't even in the same game.
    cut\'em

Float coat in the parka style, cause the bomber will hike up your back if you are tall. Onyx makes a nice camo pattern float coat. I've had numerous mustang float coats & they are warm as hell, but i like the parka cause if it's real cold you can layer up

I use both. I have an onyx float coat and an inflatable pfd. I like the float coat but it's really not conducive for shooting or moving around. I use the inflatable the most. It's not obtrusive and sometimes I even forget I have it on over my regular duck hunting jacket and waders. If you can only buy one, buy the inflatable. BUT, you have to always have it on while in the boat or it doesn't count as a pfd and you can get a ticket.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly