Thread: Smoking ducks help

Default Smoking ducks help

Need recipe to smoke a couple whole plucked woodies on electric smoker temp time etc

Hank Shaw has some cook books out that make for good reading too.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Hank Shaw has some cook books out that make for good reading too.
    i get sick of the whole jalapeno wrapped in bacon same ole same ole wild game recipes; both of shaw's books have legit tasty recipes from all around the world. it's definitely changed how i choose to butcher my deer and ducks because there are so many delicious recipes from all types of cultures that i really enjoy cooking.

Do yourself a favor and buy: 1) buck buck moose https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Moose-Te.../dp/099694480X and 2) duck duck goose https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Goose-Ul...ET1ZWKQ6VZDHKW

Quote Originally Posted by SBPep View Post
    i get sick of the whole jalapeno wrapped in bacon same ole same ole wild game recipes; both of shaw's books have legit tasty recipes from all around the world. it's definitely changed how i choose to butcher my deer and ducks because there are so many delicious recipes from all types of cultures that i really enjoy cooking.

Do yourself a favor and buy: 1) buck buck moose https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Moose-Te.../dp/099694480X and 2) duck duck goose https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Goose-Ul...ET1ZWKQ6VZDHKW

He has another book coming out in February. More wildlife other than ducks and deer. Rabbits, squirrels etc. Nothing on coon yet that I see.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I read his stuff to, kinda. I don't really take the time to read. I glance over it to get ideas. I like a bunch of it.

I've smoked a few. I would have to say anyone I've done with maple syrup on them are my favorites.

Brown sugar and kosher salt brine. Baste with butter and turn the heat up towards the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Leave the skin on.

BRINE: (If you buy a domestic bird alreasy brined, don't do this)
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1 TEASPOON Insta Cure No. 1( End cap in Sportsman's cooking section, aka pink salt)
    4 cups of water
    End of brine

1 cup of REAL maple syrup

Marinate duck up uo 12 hpurs. Dry 2-3 hours.

Cook maple syrup down to about half. Paint duck with this.

Use a drip pan to catch fat and maple syrup while smoking. Good stuff.

Cook until meat pulls back on leg and leg is loose. About 170-175 degrees

Cool before carving.

ALSO, BEFORE COOKING, Use a needle to prick the skin so fat drains from the dird.

This is not for sea birds, coots, shovelers etc other other lean birds like snow geese. Fat is important.

Now to get it right, order the book Duck Duck Goose.