Thread: My First AR Build...Need Some Recommendations

Default My First AR Build...Need Some Recommendations

So, I'm not really an AR15 fanatic but I want one for pig hunting at night with a thermal from a tripod. We have loads of pigs and I've been borrowing a 6.5 Grendel from a buddy.

It's time for me to build one and I got a crazy deal on a good stripped upper/lower combo...Aero Precision M4E1. I'm going to get one of their rails and a Wilson Combat match barrel but I'll need everything else. I want to get nice parts and don't mind spending a little extra. Are there any top tier kits that you guys would recommend that will keep me from having to buy everything individually? Probably going to stay with 5.56. I also have a suppressor on the way.

is it a precision AR, a 3gun rifle, plinking/ hunting rifle? I would change a few parts depending on purpose.

It's for hunting so weight isn't a big concern. I'll be walking up on clusters of pigs in ag fields with it and setting it in a tripod for swinging on running pigs. I do like those gold or chrome looking bolt carriers. Probably going to use a Geiselle trigger

PSA has everything on sale. Small parts don't matter they're all the same.
    CMC triggers are on sale at PSA for $129. IMO they're as good as anything in their price range. I like geisselles High Speed National Match Triggers. The rest are overprice for what you get. I also,really like the JP trigger.
    BCGs are pretty much the same. The coated ones are a little easier to clean.

If you want your rifle to shoot flat for fast follow up shots, you can add a comp and a low mass BCG. You'll need an adjustable gas block and may have to play with springs and buffers to get it tuned, but they make a big difference in how the rifle behaves if you're engaging multiple targets quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    PSA has everything on sale. Small parts don't matter they're all the same.
    CMC triggers are on sale at PSA for $129. IMO they're as good as anything in their price range. I like geisselles High Speed National Match Triggers. The rest are overprice for what you get. I also,really like the JP trigger.
    BCGs are pretty much the same. The coated ones are a little easier to clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    If you want your rifle to shoot flat for fast follow up shots, you can add a comp and a low mass BCG. You'll need an adjustable gas block and may have to play with springs and buffers to get it tuned, but they make a big difference in how the rifle behaves if you're engaging multiple targets quickly.
    This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! No need for a break as I'll have a can on it to save my ears. I'll pick up that trigger from PSA for sure! I've messed with the CMC triggers and really liked them.

If you're running a can an adjustable gas block is a good idea, but you DO NOT want the low mass BCG.

If you're going to be stalking and you're already going to have to wait on ATF for the can, you might want to consider a short barrel. I have an AR with a 10.5" barrel and a 7" can and it feels great in the hands.

I really like the 300 blk. I can shoot 200 grain subsonics and hunt from the ground at night legally or switch to 110 grain supersonics and take long shots over a bean field. Both cycle with no problems or no adjustment of the gas block.

I like the CMC drop in triggers. I have the Geisselle High Speed National Match Trigger in one of my guns. It's nice but for hunting, it isn't worth the extra money IMHO.

LaRue has their MBT triggers on sale for $99 + shipping. I'm not buying another G trigger when I can get these for $99 + shipping.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter