Thread: Trim problem

Default Trim problem

I have a Bob’s machine shop trim on my 40 Yamaha. It’s not working and there’s a whirring sound coming from the relay. I tested with multimeter and getting 12V to the switch but only 6V going back to the trim motor. I’m guessing the relay is bad?

Next question. Should I just replace with the relay from Bobs or is there another brand that would work better?

I haven’t even had it on the boat for a year so pretty aggravating it already went out. Boat is stored under carport. Relay is mounted to side of boat. Could vibration have caused it to fail? Just trying to figure out what caused the problem to try to prevent it from happening after part is replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075C...solenoid&psc=1

Personally I would do away with the relays and install this... been running these on a Cmc for about 4yrs and a yr on a atlas jack and never had a problem
    Last edited by winyah_82; 11-22-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winyah_82 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075C...solenoid&psc=1

Personally I would do away with the relays and install this... been running these on a Cmc for about 4yrs and a yr on a atlas jack and never had a problem
    Where and how do you have it mounted in the boat? Does it need to be put somewhere somewhat protected from the elements?

I have mine mounted up under the back seat near the battery but yes u can mount them anywhere, they are waterproof

I have the same ATV solenoid for my CMC tilt and trim unit mounted under the back hatch in the bilge area of my Havoc. No problems in two years and my boat is in the saltsater a lot and stored outside.

Those stock relays are junk. The ones that came with my Atlas Microjacker are already failing. Gonna just replace mine with a OEM Yamaha tilt/trim relay and mount it under the cowl. Got the relay under the cowl currently and it's very convenient. 12v is right there and the switch is on my tiller handle. Easy peezy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-23-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Those stock relays are junk. The ones that came with my Atlas Microjacker are already failing. Gonna just replace mine with a OEM Yamaha tilt/trim relay and mount it under the cowl. Got the relay under the cowl currently and it's very convenient. 12v is right there and the switch is on my tiller handle. Easy peezy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Didn’t think about that. I have a OEM relay from a unit I salvaged and then just couldn’t get the pump and motor apart from saltwater corrosion. I might see if it works but I did go ahead and order the one Winyah suggested