Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a build.... again

A lot of good input. Correct in that part of my rationale for the barrel contour is driven by the need to have enough "meat" at the muzzle to thread for the suppressor (brake). I want enough length to get max efficiency out of the cartridge - no more. If I can run a Bartlein 3B contour and fluted at that, to cut weight, I'm okay with that.

Good input on the 'smiths, too. I was actually looking at using Whidden, but I'm interested in all points of view.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Why would you not go Carbon for a lightweight build?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    $$$
    Carbon blank $750 - fluted bartlin $500 or more. No issues with suppressor on the carbon build and much better accuracy once it warms up. Honestly it's a no brainer.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

If my lilja barrel on my 6.5 saum didn't shoot so damn well it would already be gone in favor of a carbon barrel

Something else to consider....

If I ever re-barrel my 300WM Abolt, it will have a carbon-fiber more than likely. Doubt I’ll shoot it out, but that’s an upgrade that I can live without for a while. I was however able to cut my factory barrel down to 24” and have enough meat to get 9/16x24 thread with enough shoulder left for a 5/8x24 adapter for the can.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 11-23-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Price????
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by winyah View Post
    The Sako is bad ass, no doubt. But keep in mind he wants to thread it for his suppressor. Most sporter weight factory barrels are way too thin to "safely" and properly thread anything bigger than a 6mm.

For a 6.5mm he will want at least a 9/16-24 thread pitch which needs .662" at the muzzle, hence the #4 or bigger contour.

5/8x24 would require .725" which can be done on a standard #5 at around 22" or shorter.
    Every Sako made without irons can be had from the factory set up for supressors. We just don’t see them as much because you have to sign away your first born in order to get the paperwork to purchase one. The European markets can get a can easier than getting a gun.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Price????
    Haven't really considered selling it. Having too much fun shooting it

Well it looks like a good shooting setup and knowing you, you do it right.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Well it looks like a good shooting setup and knowing you, you do it right.
    I built it for myself. No corners were cut. Those barrels are amazing.

Griffin, whose carbon barrels do you like? I have a Christensen on a AR10 and I heard somebody disparage them recently. Who makes good ones and what is bad about a Christensen?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Griffin, whose carbon barrels do you like? I have a Christensen on a AR10 and I heard somebody disparage them recently. Who makes good ones and what is bad about a Christensen?
    They had some QC issues early on. Word is they have corrected their issues but I can't verify.
    Proof makes a great barrel and they will shoot .5 MOA or better 99.9% of the time. If you want to go all out hardy engineering is tits. About a half pound lighter than the others and all the ones I have used would shoot well into the .3s with most being in the .2s

The gun you originally described is pretty close to the Barrett Fieldcraft. https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/#overview Bought the 6.5 Creedmoor with an 18” threaded barrel and have been very happy. Super lightweight, and very manuverable with the suppressor mounted. Only complaint is with their metal coating, which is apparently isn’t designed for my typical use.

The Barrett gets some daggum amazing reviews.
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-24-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

I hadn't looked closely at Griffin's setup until just now. Savage action... nice.

I have a line on a possible Remington NIB short action for $350. I'm still trying to keep the price under control. Whidden will be doing the work. But, in spite of the budget, Proof Research is now a definite contender. In fact, the Light Sendero contour, 24", 6.5 Creedmoor is a definite possibility. I'm starting to consider that this may be a "one gun that does it all" deal.

Holler at me when you're ready for a 700 action. I can save you a few bucks on one

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Holler at me when you're ready for a 700 action. I can save you a few bucks on one
    Will do.

I had the custom build bug for years, thought I had it in remission. This is showing that it's coming back.

My CURRENT mental picture of this is:

Remington 700 short action, BDL config (no DBM)
    Proof Research Light Sendero contour barrel, 6.5mm Creedmoor - bouncing between 22 and 24" - threaded and TBAC CB brake installed for my can
    Timney or Jewell trigger
    Manners MCS-T stock with the carbon fiber shell
    Optics... the unknown. Wanting a lighter scope than the tactical NF I am using now. Looking at a lot of options, but the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm with a proper CDS dial is intriguing me.

After looking at the other thread and trying to keep this thing short yet efficient, I'm about solid on the 22" barrel choice now.

And the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm