Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a build.... again

Default Contemplating a build.... again

I'm considering a build again. Bolt gun, set up for longer range work BUT on the light end of the spectrum. I don't want a boat anchor, I want something I can walk around with all day if I go out west for antelope or deer. NOT looking at an elk gun, so I don't want a big magnum cartridge. Realistically, this is a deer rifle for cutovers/powerlines/bean or peanut fields. Here's my thought process:

Remington 700 short action (blueprinted)
    Bartlein SS barrel, #3B or #4 contour, possibly fluted, threaded, 24" long, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
    Manners stock, bottom metal for a DBM (MCS-EH2, or -EH3)
    Jewell trigger
    Thunder Beast Compact Brake installed for my can
    All metal Cerakoted

Would glass with something less heavy than the NightForce I'm using now. Leupold VX-3/VX-5 or Trijicon AccuPoint. But that's down the road.

Any input on that weight of barrel? Trying to keep the completed gun weight between 7 and 8 lbs (no scope, unloaded). Not interested in carbon fiber wrapped barrels due to cost considerations.

Just a bug I got under my skin - I was considering the Remington Model 700 Mil Spec (5R) Gen 2, and still am, sorta, but would like to find similar or better long range performance in a lighter overall package. Going with 6.5 Creedmoor to stay consistent with another project I am starting.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 11-22-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I wish I knew enough about custom parts to help here. Just wanted to pass on that Natchez, I think, is having a good sale on Leupy VX-6's right now.

Good luck on the build. Keep us up to date.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Sounds like you'll have a boat anchor either way.

A badass accurate deer killin boat anchor.

I'm just tired of carrying around heavy ass rifles to hunt deer. Frankly, the sporter length Sauer I'm looking at would likely cover the task as far out as I have business shooting deer.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I've a mod70 action that was a 300m, i was looking into re-barrelling, new stock and doing some accurising to, but the 6.5 would do all i need it to as well, now you go me thinking. I can't don't the DBM though, i like the classic look blind mag look, plus its one less thing for me to lose. looking forward to seeing what you end up with, i have to decide quick i want it to be ready for next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

IMO, I'd go with a small contour. If you're wanting a hunter, you'll want it light as possible. The only time it'll be a PITA is when you're sighting in and doing test firing having to let it cool. Other than that you won't be shooting enough to justify the extra weight of the bigger contours.

Give Steve a call at Apache. FLS put me on to him for a friend that is re-barreling his 300WM. Stand up guy with really good pricing.

http://apachegunworks.com/index.html

My 2cents. Detachable bottom metal is 100% unnecessary on a hunting rifle. In 30 years I’ve never needed a mag change during a hunt. I did run my WSM dry once but when the smoke cleared I had killed 4 hogs with 4shots. I left a $100 HS Precision mag somewhere on the high prairie of NE Wyoming. Must not have seated it fully??? Two rounds were fired on entire trip. Two antelope were killed. Standard floor plate is my hunting rifle preference. A heavy barrel is also unnecessary IMO. No long strings of fire. A magnum sporter is stiff enough and a Bartlein will be plenty accurate is the smith knows what he’s doing. I’d also cut it down to a 20 or 22”. You’ll still have plenty of speed. I also wouldn’t spend premium stock money. An HS, Bell and Carlson, or Greyboe will be plenty stiff enough for s hunter. I’m building something similar, just on a 308 model 7. Kreiger 20” Magnum sporter, HS stock, Timney trigger. I’ve got all the components just need to send them to Apache Machine. I carried my 6.5 match rifle out west and it sucked. Way too much gun.

FWIW Steve is one of the best rifle builders in the country. He started off building custom XP 100 for silhouette shooting, where he was one of the best in the game. He moved to precision rifle several years ago and there are several top PRS shooters running his rifles. He’s not fast and won’t work on what he considers “junk”, but when you get your rifle it will be as perfect as possible.

I concur with FLS, some people love them, but after hunting with the DBM for a couple years I'm going back to bdl.

That's one of the reasons my EH4 with the mini chassis is for sale right now. Unless you want to buy it, then its totally bad ass and necessary .

Think you're on the right track with the barrel contour. My last one had a Brux #5 which is comparable to a Bart 3b.

BTW, I have an Ultra 7 on the way, looking forward to trying the thunderbeast. I've enjoyed my Harvester, but its going to be dedicated to my kids .243, figured I would see what all the fuss is about regarding TBAC.

Just go buy a Sako 85 Finnlite. You’ll have less in it and a better gun.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My weatherby ultra light is 5 lbs 12 oz. lightest hunting rifle I have ever picked up

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Just go buy a Sako 85 Finnlite. You’ll have less in it and a better gun.
    I kind of agree. Factory rifles are more than accurate enough to hunt with. And I see some good cherry picked 3 round groups here and there, but I’ve never seen one that would consistently outshoot a rifle built by a good smith. I hear rumors, but I’ve never seen one in person.

The Sako is bad ass, no doubt. But keep in mind he wants to thread it for his suppressor. Most sporter weight factory barrels are way too thin to "safely" and properly thread anything bigger than a 6mm.

For a 6.5mm he will want at least a 9/16-24 thread pitch which needs .662" at the muzzle, hence the #4 or bigger contour.

5/8x24 would require .725" which can be done on a standard #5 at around 22" or shorter.

I have a 6.5-47 carbon barrel gun that weighs under 6 pounds and runs with any SS heavy barrel gun out there
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

SR,
    I would probably go with the #4 contour at 24 inches measured from the front of the lug.....but that is just me. Might want to give Dave Kiff a call about getting a reamer speced out that you can use for both projects particularly if you have a good idea of the bullets and brass that you want to use (for leade angle, neck, throat diameter, freebore, back end, etc.). Dave hooked me up with a .308 reamer based on the dimensions that George Gardner gave me. I think that you have seen that rifle. It shoots fairly decent. For triggers, of course Jewell is the gold standard, but darn if Timney isn't making a good trigger, especially the Calvin Elite.......just a thought.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

#3 contour and 22" will get ya what you need in most cases and is quite handy for all uses with only about a 100 fps loss over a 24 tube.

If you want diversity and a flat cartridge that will run the weights from 120s to 195s you might rethink to 7 saum or 7 WSM or 7/300wsm (If you reload).. With a creed your stuck at 147s heaviest, though some talk of a 150 is out there.

The 7s have great Bc and incredible bullet selection throughout the weights so why limit yourself? Meanwhile with the 147s by Hornandy I can't deny I was thinking about a creed at one time but in the end it would end up a 6.5 saum if I were rolling 6.5. The 6.5 saum will smoke the girl hair right off a creed.

Personally I love a dbm for hunting. I usually run the gen 1 Hs precision metal and mag as the gen 2 is a little clacky. I keep the mag in a stock pack with pocket when not in use so I never loose it or forget. I used to prefer bdl but cold hands or a rush while dumping the plate will eventually lead to fumbling a cartridge into that mud puddle, ditch or deep grass you parked beside.

May try a trigger tech in my next rig as well since I keep hearing excellent reviews. Fluted barrel yes, spiral please with spiral bolt to match just because I like eye candy and they seem to sell quicker if I ever want to dump it and start over.
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-22-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

And for the love of god buy a custom action. By the time you factor in the cost of the action, blueprinting, and bolt fluting you're at the same price as a stiller but with half the resale value
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-22-2017 at 10:02 PM.

G speaks truth, but if you do choose a custom action, I would opt for a better action than Stiller. I went through about 4 of them before I got one that was perfect and kept it.. Surgeon and Defiance are pretty hard to beat ( for hunting purposes) and throw in Big Horn if you like the floating bolt head concept which is the best thing going for overall concentricity when chambering a round but then again the bolt head pin can break soo...
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-22-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Genesis 9;2