Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Contemplating a build.... again

You will be happy with it. I'd swap out that mcs-t for an EH1
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Yeah, the stock selection will be in mental flux for a bit. I want to try to keep the "lines" of this more classic sporter, although I see the advantage of the vertical grip. In the stock, I'm looking for proper cheek weld for the height of the scope, light weight, and just enough of a "flat" on the bottom of the forend to be able to rest it on a stand rail when one is available for longer shots.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

IMO I’d keep the factory mil dial on the scope. Your temp and elevation changes will Inevitably be different. No need to have a custom dial.

I'd go cds for your home state or primary use. If you travel you still have standard clicks.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'd go cds for your home state or primary use. If you travel you still have standard clicks.
    That was my thought process.

You won't be disappointed. Just got one of the 3x15x56 vx5s this week. Glass is better than that Leica in my opinion
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I just try to use the KISS method for my dumbass. The more simple I can make something the easier it is to remember. I personally have seen significant elevation deviations due to the temp and density altitude; and all of them being at the same range. Just different times of the year.

It's always changing is my point, let your rifle be the constant and the weather be the variable. Just get a decent ballistic app and rock out anywhere you go. No worrying with changing dials or keeping up with if it's higher or lower than what's written on the dials.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 11-28-2017 at 08:21 AM.

I'm not opposed to KISS. None of my stuff is custom dial

Default Combining stuff from two threads

I started to put this on the "Barrel Length" thread, but didn't want to high jack it that much...

My understanding is the Creedmoor was developed with the longer neck to allow better seating of longer/heavier bullets. More neck = better concentricity, and I guess more equal (in properly prepped cases) neck tension. Beyond that, there really is NO difference performance-wise between the 260 Remington, the 6.5mm Creedmoor, and even, in modern guns with the right loads, 6.5x55mm Swedish.

I understand that my urge for the Creedmoor is not based on any real improvement in performance. In the words of a mentor and excellent (retired) local rifle builder, "we do these things because they please us", not because we NEED to. Same mentality that drove me twenty-plus years ago to spin the 30-06 barrel off my Remington 700 and have him build me a gun in 280 Ackley. How I miss that gun... may whoever stole it get eaten by beavers. But I digress, and will sort of tie this thread in with the 6.5mm Creed barrel length thread with these thoughts....

My personal goals in this are to end up with a gun that:

• Is light and portable. Same weight class generally as a factory Remington 700 sporter (not a Sendero or Varmint).
    • Has sporter "lines" - not really wanting a "tactical" look. I have that in other guns and am tired of hunting with them to an extent.
    • Is low/modest recoil. This is partly in case my brother shoots it. He has an implanted defib in is left shoulder (and is left handed). But mostly because I like being able to observe hit results through the scope.
    • Is highly accurate. Perhaps the top requirement, and thus why I am making the choices of components I am. Accuracy is king for me. I want something that is 1/2 MOA or close to it with hunting ammunition. Not match. I know I will have to do my part with both load development and shooting skill.
    • Is chambered in a caliber that fires a bullet that will reliably perform (penetrate and expand) at the terminal velocities I expect to get at 400 to 500 yards on DEER sized game. I realize that a LOT of calibers do this.
    • Is not dramatically over-length, but I hunt with a can, so I recognize that I will have issues no matter what in some circumstances.
    • Has quality factory ammunition that meets my performance standards available. From what I gather, Hornady stuff fits this bill with the Creedmoor. But I will get my handloading act together.
    • Is topped with a good optic that will cover woods to cutovers. I am giving serious thought to this becoming my primary "do damn near anything" rifle. Although, of course, I do hunt some with other stuff.
    • Is different from what everybody else has. Because that counts.

Other calibers have been considered.

• 308 Winchester. Great cartridge. I have and have had enough 308's....
    • 280 Ackley. Great cartridge - don't really want to mess with another one. And it's a long action. Want to stay short.
    • 7mm-08. 260 Remington. Nahhhh

I don't want to mess with belted magnums, long actions, etc. I want to shoot at LEAST a 120 grain bullet, preferably 130+, in whatever I choose, because I like mass and sectional density.

My brother is constantly pushing me to buy the "new" Sauer Model 100 in 6.5mm Creedmoor. That gun intrigues me, but the recoil lug and bedding system bug me and it's a huge unknown performance-wise. I thought about getting one and using for the "woods" end of the spectrum with the idea of finding one load that works well in both guns (it and the project gun on this thread). Now, I'm backing away from that and thinking of this being a more universal fit. He's big on European stuff, but the fact that Sauer is still rather tied to SIG, and SIG is low on my QC trust list now also push that.

So, with all that being said, and looking at the data from the other thread, I am not uncomfortable with the reduction of velocity that a 22" tube get me. It's all a matter of degrees. And, really, I think you are rather limited with what can be done length-wise if I go with the Proof Research barrel. Bullets I'm likely to try to run in the gun will be Hornady ELD-X, Nosler AccuBond/LR Accubond, Nosler Ballistic Tip, and maybe even good ol' Sierra 140 grain GameKings. I like "heavy for caliber" bullets, in spite of so many folks successfully running Barnes and similar solid copper stuff. Just how I am.

Regarding the scope, yeah, I am moving away from the tactical turret mode - my NightForce NXS will get moved to a more tactical gun, likely my Savage Precision Carbine. The Leupold 3-15x56mm should give me ample low light ability (especially with the illuminated reticle), and the CDS will be good to have IF I need it. I won't even order that part until I have settled on a load I intend to stick with, and will likely leave it set on the 200 yard zero (or whatever is most appropriate for a max PBR based on a 6" circle). Understanding that, while I ask for the 400-500 yard effectiveness in accuracy and performance, I won't shoot that far without a LOT of validation shooting and practice. Having access to a 500 yard range next year helps. I know that 90% or more of my shots will be within 250 yards.

I have soooo many gun projects. And with potential full retirement only a handful of years away, I'm making a strong push to get them taken care of while I have more money coming in. You can expect more "project" threads.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 11-28-2017 at 10:43 AM.

It appears your trying to build this. It's a damn fine hunting setup.

https://www.remington.com/custom-sho...te-sheep-rifle

^6k lol.. I reckon they really are about to go BR.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    It appears your trying to build this. It's a damn fine hunting setup.

https://www.remington.com/custom-sho...te-sheep-rifle
    That's real close. But I won't be affording a titanium action. And plan to do it for a lot less than that.

Holee Fuuk!! 6K for a rifle with Hulu scribed on it? WTF are people thinking. I guess if you have ram hunting monies 6K in a rifle is pocket change.