Thread: Two Rivers

Default Two Rivers

Record Waterfowl Count Along Mississippi Flyway
    By The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

Ducks love national wildlife refuges. Refuges provide the perfect place for migrating waterfowl to rest and feed as they head south for the winter. Right now, one of the best places to spot record breaking numbers of waterfowl is Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge in Missouri and Illinois.

Two Rivers is an important stopover for hundreds of thousands of ducks and geese each fall. Right now more than 350,000 birds are utilizing refuge habitat. Established in 1958 to protect and enhance habitat for migratory birds, Two Rivers is located between the Mississippi River and Illinois Rivers and encompasses 9,225 acres of riverine and floodplain habitat scattered around the confluence of the rivers.
    MixedDucks.jpgNorthern pintails, gadwalls and mallards in flight over wetland/Photo courtesy of Steve Gifford

October and November are the best months to see fall migration. You'll easily be able to see thousands of waterfowl feeding in shallow wetlands of the Calhoun Division and on Swan Lake. Two Rivers has more than great birding - it's the perfect place for recreation, including hiking, biking, paddling, hunting and fishing.

Who's stopping at Two Rivers?

Each week during fall migration, biologists from the Illinois Natural History Survey fly over the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers to count the number of waterfowl in the Mississippi Flyway. This year, waterfowl counts have been particularly impressive. This is the third largest count at this location since the start of surveys back in 1948 and is the largest count of northern pintail and ring-necked ducks ever recorded on the refuge.

These counts are more than impressive numbers - they help define general trends in the number of waterfowl resting and feeding at Two Rivers and other neighboring national wildlife refuges. Survey results are used by managers, hunters and birdwatchers to monitor the progress of migration. Counts also give biologists a sense of how healthy refuge habitats are and how restoration work is benefiting birds. Check out the latest waterfowl numbers from the Illinois Natural History Survey and plan your visit to Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge today!

http://www.beachwoodreporter.com/peo...nt_along_m.php

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Tripp and the grandboy Casen are headed out to their field in Missouri Thursday after we eat. The birds are there hope they get on them good. Tripp probably cusses me under his breath for giving him duck fever as he was growing up. Good thing he and the daughter-in-law have good jobs cause that boy will spend some dollars on duck chasing. This year he ordered 8 more dozen G&H dekes. I asked him what was wrong with the 10 dozen he already had, he said they were starting to loose their luster. Good lord! Back when I was young I did good to have 2 dozen and I used a lot of Parker paints when mine got dull. I couldn't afford new dekes. I'll probably roll out there with him later this year.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Sitting next to the Union county refuge right now just a little south of there

3299CDB9-D1D7-4D5C-9552-82DF64F70B7C.jpg
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Sitting next to the Union county refuge right now just a little south of there
    So what's the scouting report?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Be about an hour South of there next week end, So lets here how its going Duckman.

Lots of ducks. Killed 41 mallards in timber this morn. Shit load of specklebellys here
    80-20 Genaration

Glad you're having success, hope to see some photos like you post u here from time to time. Good hunting!

I will when I get home the first of the week. Good luck to you next weekend
    80-20 Genaration

D, you at Grassy Lake?
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by DuvnDux View Post
    D, you at Grassy Lake?
    No sir. Hunting with a buddy of mine
    80-20 Genaration

Gotcha, we got the report from there earlier this week that the ducks were thick.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"