Thread: Giant Salvinia

Default Giant Salvinia

Haven’t been on here much recently. If it’s already been posted I don’t give a shit.

That's one nasty invasive. Santee Cooper is fixing to wish they had 40,000 acres of hydrilla back instead of that stuff.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 11-21-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Next headline:

It's the Poker Run's fault!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

The south needs another invasive plant like I need a hole in my head.

I'd bet he farm it was introduced by Santee Cooper to keep their aquatic control program in place. What better to make sure you continue to be allowed to stock carp and spray the lake?
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-21-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    That's one nasty invasive. Santee Cooper is fixing to wish they had 40,000 acres of hydrilla back instead of that stuff.
    You Know It. Back in the day I burnt up a lot of motor's but we killed the heck outa ducks.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'd bet he farm it was introduced by Santee Cooper to keep their aquatic control program in place. What better to make sure you continue to be allowed to stock carp and spray the lake?
    Ayup.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Nailed it. Whats even better for them? Yep nothing eats it period minus a few specialized insects.
    Genesis 9;2

I'd bet someone had giant salvinia in their backyard pond and the flood of 2015 washed it down into the lakes.

Now imagine Marion and Moultrie looking like this pond in Louisiana completely covered with salvinia.

Weevils were put on the above pond in July 2016 and this picture was taken before teal season 2016. (Back to introducing an invasive non native species to combat an invasive non native aquatic vegetation species. No telling what the weevils eat next when they're done feasting on salvinia)

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

We can't seem to catch a break. All I want is native SAVs back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

From a quick search:
    Carp are not all that effective on this plant.
    Sonar has it listed on its label. Tx says Sonar works well Ls acts like it doesn't work as well.
    Diquat is defiantly a killer, but apparently this stuff can still reproduce while brown.
    The Salvinia weevil works, and when it runs out of food it crawls on land and then fire ants kill it.

Not sure about ducks, but this stuff appears to be bad new for fish. It soaks up all the nutrients and nothing else can live under it. This is all according to LSU.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

McCord has been there for a minute. Old as baseball.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Glad carp don't eat it. We have plenty of fireants to kill the weevils. Sonar is bad crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I recall going to a meeting with Bog and despite testimony from DNR biologists that the health of the carp weren't good, Larry still wanted to vote for more carp. Judging by the Biologists's reaction he wasn't happy with that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft