Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Say goodbye to the internet as you know it

I could see this costing the communication companies a lot of customers. I can promise you I want be paying to view amazon, ebay or any other site. Made it just fine for years without them. Have no problem doing it again.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Net neutrality is a relatively new thing and was implemented to solve a problem that didn't exist. The innernets did fine before it and will continue to do fine after.

I knew that old CB was going to be handy again one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Net neutrality is a relatively new thing and was implemented to solve a problem that didn't exist. The innernets did fine before it and will continue to do fine after.
    I hope you are right.

Created in '15 by B-rock and his crowd so big innernets users wouldn't be forced to pay more for their lopsided use of bandwidth. It is and was a regulation created as a political favor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ne..._United_States

as long as free market, competition and greed exist........the internet will stay cheap for you and I

Created in '15 by B-rock and his crowd so big innernets users wouldn't be forced to pay more for their lopsided use of bandwidth. It is and was a regulation created as a political favor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ne..._United_States
    That was just the latest policy. The FCC has always supported neutrality and supported some cases against isp's well before 2015. This is the first time the FCC has said they don't care about neutrality and opened the gates for ISP's to do as they want. It will start small with things like Verizon giving their apps and services preference or AT&T making direct tv faster than anything else. But eventually it could lead to issues with ISP's choking out their competition. But those cases will be challenged and chances are the FCC will support them on it.

With 4g and cell towers, there will be alot more competition and people won't be stuck to one provider. I agree that it won't be some sudden change where we have to pay for sites. But it does open the door for some interesting monopoly issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    I could see this costing the communication companies a lot of customers. I can promise you I want be paying to view amazon, ebay or any other site. Made it just fine for years without them. Have no problem doing it again.
    You'll pay, you just won't know it. They'll charge those sites the money and they'll pass on the costs to you.
    Last edited by Kioti; 11-22-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    as long as free market, competition and greed exist........the internet will stay cheap for you and I
    Yep. I read (I'll try to find the source) where Netflix alone during peak hours is responsible for 39% of bandwidth use. That's more than Amazon, Hulu and sling combined. Why shouldn't they have to pay more?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    You'll pay, you just won't know it. They'll charge those sights the money and they'll pass on the costs to you.
    And you'll have to option to not use them.

Yep. I read (I'll try to find the source) where Netflix alone during peak hours is responsible for 39% of bandwidth use. That's more than Amazon, Hulu and sling combined. Why shouldn't they have to pay more?
    Because it's not something they control. The users who utilize the data to watch shows via Netflix already pay for the data required to access the shows. Would you want to be charged more to have a webpage all because a bunch of people started clicking on your website one day? Remember...the fact that people are utilizing these sites doesn't exactly mean it's generating money for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Special interest at their finest. Comcast, AT&T, etc have gotten the upper hand in Washington. You will pay dearly to stream Netflix, browse Facebook, or Twitter to the world that you are taking a dump.
    i doubt that very much!

trump knows exactly how to do things and is going to drain the swamp!

Because it's not something they control. The users who utilize the data to watch shows via Netflix already pay for the data required to access the shows. Would you want to be charged more to have a webpage all because a bunch of people started clicking on your website one day? Remember...the fact that people are utilizing these sites doesn't exactly mean it's generating money for them either.
    Exactly. As customers we are paying for access to the internet. And we pay for the speed of the service we want. What we choose to use that access for is none of their business.

If the ISP's want to charge Netflix they will just pass it on to us. And this won't hurt Netflix. But it will severely hurt the next Netflix.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 11-22-2017 at 11:03 AM.

pay per click websites are nothing new- many small businesses pay by the click for their web pages- my site is normally top of the page for every category of work that we do, and pay per click turned out to be the most affordable way to have it. I get calls every day from somebody wanting to take over our website maintenance and advertising and none of them have beat what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Exactly. As customers we are paying for access to the internet. And we pay for the speed of the service we want. What we choose to use that access for is none of their business.

If the ISP's want to charge Netflix they will just pass it on to us. And this won't hurt Netflix. But it will severely hurt the next Netflix.
    You pay your ISP for internet access. That in no way gives you full access to every website and content out there. That is up for the owners of the site to decide. Most are free but come with annoying pop up ads and banners from site sponsors. Others that stream content like netflix, hulu and amazon provide a service for a fee. Should their fees rise because of their bandwidth use then so shall their subscription fees. You, as a currently free American, can tell them to pound sand and you aren't going to pay it if you so choose. The free sites will either adjust their business model or up their ad space pricing. Either way it's still up to you to decide whether or not you want to go there. What will happen is the free market will take over and I doubt you'll notice little to any change whatsoever.