Thread: Wood duck placement

Default Wood duck placement

I've got a few boxes I need to put up. Is it ok to put them up in smart weed? I figured it would give the ducklings good cover, but wasn't sure if snakes would use it to get around the guard.

they will hatch, drop out of the box, and swim away with mom, never to use that area again.

so....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 11-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Cut all branches, bushes, etc from above and below that can allow access to the box by coons, snakes, etc. If a snake can climb it, cut it back several feet. Nothing worse than checking a box and pulling a snake out full of eggs.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Cut all branches, bushes, etc from above and below that can allow access to the box by coons, snakes, etc. If a snake can climb it, cut it back several feet. Nothing worse than checking a box and pulling a snake out full of eggs.
    RatSnake.JPG

UGA- putting them over water helps reduce the amount of predators. in low weeds is ok, nothing that a snake can use to climb up. and try to put them in a secluded spot, back of a cove. lower visibility will help it not to be used my multiple hens (aka dump nest). Set the pole with a slight lean so the ducklings can crawl out easier. or tack some wire mesh inside. Fill it halfway with cedar chips and you're done.
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 11-29-2017 at 07:00 PM.

God that makes me want to puke.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    UGA- putting them over water helps reduce the amount of predators. in low weeds is ok, nothing that a snake can use to climb up. and try to put them in a secluded spot, back of a cove. lower visibility will help it not to be used my multiple hens (aka dump nest). Set the pole with a slight lean so the ducklings can crawl out easier. or tack some wire mesh inside. Fill it halfway with cedar chips and you're done.
    Thanks for the tip on the lean. The more I think about it the smart weed isn't going to be stout enough to give the snake any support.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    God that makes me want to puke.
    That box would be on fire in a quick minute
    867-5309

Holler when ya get ready to put em out UGA. I've done a few and wouldn't mind lending a hand.

You make the boxes yourself, or you get em pre-made?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

It's best if you put them up in the dumb weed
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

using your smart phone
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Holler when ya get ready to put em out UGA. I've done a few and wouldn't mind lending a hand.

You make the boxes yourself, or you get em pre-made?
    Thanks. I'll text you. .

This happens when you don't maintain your boxes, not just inside but cutting limbs around the outside. The whole clutch was gone.

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Me and my sons give em a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    This happens when you don't maintain your boxes, not just inside but cutting limbs around the outside. The whole clutch was gone.

Not no, Not hell no, but oh hell no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

Interesting that the last three pics I have seen of snakes in a duck box we're all black rat snakes. I've never seen a black rat snake in the water but have plenty around here. I guess they are better climbers than swimmers.