Thread: 7.62X39 vs. .300 BO

Default 7.62X39 vs. .300 BO

I'm getting my youngest his first CF rifle this year. I've pretty much decided on a Ruger American platform and was leaning toward a compact in 7mm08 until I got ahold of a Ranch. I really like the 16" barrel and feel of the gun. Seems it would be perfect for a smaller shooter. However it only comes in 4 choices. I don't see a whole lot of difference ballistically in the BO and 39 with ammo costs similar as well. If I didn't have 2k rounds of 39 he could burn through, I'd go BO all day. Who has used these cartridges to hunt deer? How'd they do?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I shot a doe with my 7.62x39 AR with hornady round. SST I think. It passed clean through and she didn't run but 20 yds. I really enjoy hunting with it when I know I won't have any long shots to make.

Id go with the russian round.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I killed a buck at 170 yds with a mini 30 tactical shooting the ruskie caliber- broadside pass through and performed well- I shoot the Winchester 123 grn power points- groups about 2" at 100 off a rolled up coat with a cheap scope and bad eyes.
    Love the feel of the mini 30 over an AR style and happy with the round. Great 150-200 yd deer and pig gun. Zero recoil- my 8 year old grandson loves shooting it

Relatively weak cartridges require much more consideration of the fine details of ballistics, shot placement, bullet performance, and tracking ability.