Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cryptocurrency

Default Cryptocurrency

Out of curiosity, have any of your bought any cryptocurrency?

I thought about it two or three years ago, got distracted and forgot about it. Got serious about it back in June and tried to set up an account to buy bitcoin and litecoin, the website had issues and it wouldn't go through, forgot about it then as well. Finally got serious about it again about a week or two ago and bought in around $1,000, planning on picking up more weekly. I'm hoping it keeps trending up ... I'd be sitting on a nice profit if I would have followed through a couple of years ago, hell, I'd have a decent profit if the site would have worked back in June.
    "I like my bitch blonde and wet, with my duck in her mouth."

what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    what is this?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency

Bitcoin is the most popular, you can get an idea of how much it's jumped in 2017 here: https://charts.bitcoin.com

I don't understand it. I tried.

I was really interested in it a couple years ago and probably would have bought in if it had been a really simple process. I would have only spent what I was OK with losing but right now it would have increased by about six fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    I was really interested in it a couple years ago and probably would have bought in if it had been a really simple process. I would have only spent what I was OK with losing but right now it would have increased by about six fold.
    2 years ago bitcoin was trading around $250/coin, as of today it's over $7,900/coin. I've read estimates that it has the potential to get to $50,000+/coin, I don't know if that's crazy talk, or completely in the realm of possibilities. I'm willing to take a gamble though.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 11-17-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I don't understand it. I tried.
    I didn’t and really still don’t but I would look at it like gambling if I were to buy in.

Yeah, I've seen the rage on bitcoin lately but I still don't understand what it is and what it's used for.
    :FYT:

Yeah I’ve been meaning to get into it for several months. Bit the bullet last night. Once I get some things squared away job wise I’ll probably buy some more. Too bad you didn’t get into it several years ago.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    2 years ago bitcoin was trading around $250/coin, as of today it's over $7,900/coin. I've read estimates that it has the potential to get to $50,000+/coin, I don't know if that's crazy talk, or completely in the realm of possibilities. I'm willing to take a gamble though.
    I haven’t really kept up with it, I just occasionally see a thread on AR15.com where they have a thread going about it. That’s where I first read about it. As far as how high it could go, I believe it’s almost unlimited if it just started gaining more traction.

can't snort your oxy through a rolled up bitcoin though
    "No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true." Nathaniel Hawthorne

bought my bitcoin after placing in a poker tournament in april of this year. about every table i sat at during the tournament someone was talking about it. after i placed and got my winnings i bought one for the heck of it. since then its worth almost 6x what i bought it for. plus i got bitcoin cash when the chain split in august and its almost 4x its value. the more i research about it the better i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Out of curiosity, have any of your bought any cryptocurrency?

I thought about it two or three years ago, got distracted and forgot about it. Got serious about it back in June and tried to set up an account to buy bitcoin and litecoin, the website had issues and it wouldn't go through, forgot about it then as well. Finally got serious about it again about a week or two ago and bought in around $1,000, planning on picking up more weekly. I'm hoping it keeps trending up ... I'd be sitting on a nice profit if I would have followed through a couple of years ago, hell, I'd have a decent profit if the site would have worked back in June.
    I have a story similar to you. I will say put in and hold.

Bitcoin investing is a bit of a pyramid scheme right now. I would liken the current situation to the speculative home buying that was happening around 2007. Most folks see values skyrocketing and don't want to be left out of the money. Most of the folks jumping in are gambling on the hope that it keeps going up and somehow they will be smart enough to get out before the music stops.

Blockchain technology is a very fascinating emerging technology that is the basis for cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. It's a potential disruptor for many industries with many potential applications. Do some learning on blockchain and crypto will start to make more sense.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Bitcoin investing is a bit of a pyramid scheme right now. I would liken the current situation to the speculative home buying that was happening around 2007. Most folks see values skyrocketing and don't want to be left out of the money. Most of the folks jumping in are gambling on the hope that it keeps going up and somehow they will be smart enough to get out before the music stops.
    This is exactly how I view it too. There's no real entity backing it either. I would not buy in, especially at this point.
    But I am far from an expert.

It might worth a small lottery ticket purchase. I have been involved in a small way with spec stocks for over two decades. I would be extremely concerned that this thing is ready for a huge correction. But, then again it may not. Like everyone else I don't really understand it and that makes me nervous, along with the rocket trajectory in price. Bottom line, hell if I know what it will do, I may risk a small amount for a lottery ticket.

A less risky way to play it may be to invest in companies that utilize it such as Square. That's probably much smarter, less gain, but much less risk as well.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 11-17-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I learned all about it in 2009 when it first hit the scene. I'd be retired right now if I had two pennies to rub together back then. Mining isn't efficient for common folk, nor is being a mule (facilitator of trades). Keep your eyes on it. No telling where it's going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    It might worth a small lottery ticket purchase. I have been involved in a small way with spec stocks for over two decades. I would be extremely concerned that this thing is ready for a huge correction. But, then again it may not. Like everyone else I don't really understand it and that makes me nervous, along with the rocket trajectory in price. Bottom line, hell if I know what it will do, I may risk a small amount for a lottery ticket.

A less risky way to play it may be to invest in companies that utilize it such as Square. That's probably much smarter, less gain, but much less risk as well.
    Yeah what scares me about it is how quickly it blew up. Just makes me think it could be a bubble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

If you want to make your head hurt, try learning where bitcoins come from and how-to and what "mining" actually is. Then once that is settled, try to get someone to answer who is in charge and why they would not just allocate themselves sufficient coins to disrupt the system later in the going. Know this, if you lose your "wallet" with coins in it, much like in real life, you can never get it back. Like day trading, it is not for the faint of heart. Carry on. MG
    Aliqua die cognoscetis!

Quote Originally Posted by clembo3 View Post
    Yeah what scares me about it is how quickly it blew up. Just makes me think it could be a bubble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first learned about it I believe one bitcoin was valued at about 3-4 hundred dollars. I think they kind of shot up over a thousand and there was a guy who had been mining them from early on. He supposedly sold them and netted several million dollars. At some point they dropped back down to a few hundred dollars but now they've exploded. If they dropped back down to just a couple hundred dollars now that would probably be the end of bitcoin. I convinced there will eventually be a currency like this that becomes the standard I just wonder if the current ones don't become the 'myspace' version.