Thread: First Deer ever on Sunday morning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Deer ever on Sunday morning

Sorry for the long story first off.

So the story goes something like this. I have hunted for several years and probably not as frequently as most of ya'll do. I don't own any land and don't care to fight WMA dummies for deer. I have always relied on friends taking me when they had time and there was a 3yr timeframe when dad was a member out at Riverside. I was handed down my Granpa's rifle years ago. I have always said my first deer would be a buck and it would be with Granpa's .243. I have caught a bunch of poking from friends over the years about the .243 but all I have seen while hunting were does. It got a bit discouraging at times but I stuck to my guns and kept being patient. So my hunting partner picked up a couple leases this year and of course welcomed me to hunt with him. We cleared some lanes, put out cameras, put out corn and even setup a ground blind for me to use due to me having foot surgery right before the season started. We started getting some nice deer on camera and then one day we went to corn and swap the cards and 2 cameras had been stolen along with my ground blind. I hate a thief. So we put up a box stand where the ground blind was. We drive the anchors in install some mobile home anchors and padlock the stand to them. Put up new cameras with lock boxes and Python cables to make it as difficult as we can for them to get stolen. Then we get a pic of a buck staring at our camera with a corn cob in his mouth like a cigar. Every time he shows up he has a damn corn cob in his mouth on camera. We must have a dozen pics of him like this and he just keeps taunting me. So of course I make the joke of man he would be a hell of a first deer! Well I made it a point to sit the stand as much as my schedule would allow. Being self employed most people would think that was an easy task. However being a one man operation, having my son playing fall soccer, and fitting in my buddies allowed times since it wasn't my lease it boiled down to 1 evening a week. I sat the stand every chance possible and never would see anything but birds and squirrels but the camera showed they were coming just at night. So Saturday night my buddy asked where I wanted to sit Sunday morning. We were gonna go across town to the other lease and I told him "I think I wanna go sit the field. I haven't sat it in the morning and the road beside the property should be quiet if he is crossing the road. So we agreed to change plans and go where I wanted to sit. I got to my stand around 5:45. Got everything ready and sat with the hopes that any buck would show up for me to shoot. While watching the corn pile and another lane I happened to catch movement out of the corner of my eye from the field. As I slowly turned my head I could see a dark silhouette walking through the field and onto a game trail through some scrub brush. As I noticed it was a buck I couldn't tell how big it was. I just knew it was big enough to shoot and hopefully be my first deer ever. So I pulled up the binoculars and watched him walk a few steps. Still early enough not to count tines but legal to shoot. I pulled up the rifle and tried to find him in the scope but had lost where he had went. I feared he had walked into the woods and I had missed my opportunity. As I scanned from the last place to the corn pile I saw what I thought was a tree trunk. Until I saw it move. He had made it to the edge of the corn pile and had just stepped out from the scrub brush and tree. I dialed in the scope and waited to determine where the shoulder was. About that time he lifted his head and looked at the trail camera. BANG! I squeezed the trigger and watched his shoulder dip and head fall to the ground. Where he had stood was now clear and no more dark body standing in the way. I put the gun down shaking from excitement and pulled up the binoculars to see if it had really fell where he was standing. Only to not see him laying there. I text my buddy that I had felt pretty sure he fell right there but couldn't see him for the scrub brush. I gave him about 30 min and climbed down from the stand and headed to the corn pile. I felt like I had been watching a hunting show on TV the way the deer came in and he just dropped when I shot him. I rounded the corner and saw the white tail laying away from the road in the pile. As I got closer I realized right away my dream had just became a reality. Of all the Bucks we had on camera it was him. It was corn cob laying dead in my corn pile. I still can't believe I got him for my first deer. Let me see if I can post some pics after writing my small novel. Sorry for being so long winded. I guess good things do come to those who wait.
    Last edited by SilverBack4Jack; 11-13-2017 at 10:37 PM.