Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DNR- Bear shooter won't be charged

Default DNR- Bear shooter won't be charged

SCDNR: Johnsonville black bear shooter won't be charged
    by Tonya Brown

A 45-year-old who shot a 300 pound black bear that was roaming around in the City of Johnsonville in October won't be charged, according to Capt. Ben Byers with S.C. Department of Natural Resources. (Photo by Whitney Smith)

A 45-year-old who shot a 300 pound black bear that was roaming around in the City of Johnsonville in October won't be charged, according to Capt. Ben Byers with S.C. Department of Natural Resources.
    Byers said there's isn't enough probable cause at this time to charge him with a crime.

Byers said DNR had no other choice but to euthanize the bear when it was found wounded in the woods.
    The bear’s remains were properly disposed of after he was euthanized, Byers added.
    Byers said he conducted a "very extensive and thorough investigation" with multiple interviews.

Byers said originally said if the bear was aggressive toward the man who shot it, then the shooting could be deemed justified and the man might not be charged.

Byers said about 100 people gathered at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Maple Street in Johnsonville on Oct. 23 to see the bear.
    At the time, DNR officers were trying to get the bear to go back in the woods, Byers said.

He added officers saw the bear bleeding as it ran across the street and back into the woods and knew it was more than just a cut or a scrape because the amount of blood.

He said at the time it was near dark and not safe for DNR officers to chase the wounded bear into the woods.

Officers went back in the woods the next morning. Byers said that's when they realized the bear had been shot and had to be euthanized.

Many people in the community took pictures of the bear and some said it didn't appear to be aggressive.

Community members told ABC 15 News they are upset the bear had to be euthanized.

Byers said they could revisit the investigation if new information is presented to them.

http://wpde.com/news/local/scdnr-joh...ont-be-charged

Pussies.

I live in Johnsonville and will tell you first hand this decision was based off a bunch of crooked politics!

I too am close to the shooter and this situation and just let me say that this couldn't have happened to a blacker bear

A+ SW

Community members told ABC 15 News they are upset the bear had to be euthanized.

And if it had been left to roam the neighborhood and did hurt someone they'd a been calling 999-9999 so fast it woulda locked up the phone system.

It's coming right for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post

And if it had been left to roam the neighborhood and did hurt someone they'd a been calling 999-9999 so fast it woulda locked up the phone system.

George Sink??
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It's coming right for us!
    It happens....
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    George Sink??
    Don't know, saw it on a billboard. Just call all nines.

He was a kodiak lookin fella about 19 feet tall

Flip or fly?

What kind of article is this? Why is there no info about the circumstances of the original shooter? The article says the shooter won't be charged but doesn't say shit about why the guy felt he needed to shoot it????

After personally being involved in a bear attack, I tip my hat to the euthanizer..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

All bears must fucking hang...

I can't get beyond DNR waiting till the next morning to go finish off the bear......unbelievable.

Didn't you mean "Unbearlievable"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I can't get beyond DNR waiting till the next morning to go finish off the bear......unbelievable.
    The officer was Francis Macomber, Jr.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

it was layed up in one of the thickest kudzu patches in Florence county and a frog choking rain and winds set in right after it was shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    The officer was Francis Macomber, Jr.
    Daaaahahahahahha!!! Good work, my man