Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee - Gruden question

Default Tennessee - Gruden question

Why Gruden? Im not bashing or trying to start an internet fight, so convince me.

Gruden has not coached a game since 2008 and has never coached a game in college. Sure he was a grad assistant, but come on.

Does he have a network of assistant coaches and coordinators ready to come with him?

Does he have any network built with High school coaches? Other than name, how will he recruit?

What will his offensive philosophy be? He was a "west coast offense" guy when he was coaching. That is not a college offense. Will it be successful in the SEC?

What are the pros to his hire?

Discuss
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Shhh

as a clemson fan this would be great. They will pay the man millions to win 8 games a year.

If he's going to Tennessee, why haven't they sealed the deal. What's taking so long?

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Shhh

as a clemson fan this would be great. They will pay the man millions to win 8 games a year.
    Why would a clemson fan care about Tennesse?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    As a Clemson fan, I could not care less who Tennessee gets as coach, as long as its not Muschamp.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Shit - by that logic, we should just lock down the whole sports forum down.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

You need to delete this thread before you fuck it up. We're all sitting here quietly with our fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Shit - by that logic, we should just lock down the whole sports forum down.
    Solid point
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

The narrative used to be "Gruden isn't going to Knoxville, he has it made at ESPN". Now it is "he will suck, he hasn't coached in 8 years, he cannot recruit ....I am scared"

#soon

If not for TV, kids like Cade Mays, Tee Higgins, and Amari Rogers wouldn't even know who he is (probably missed a few in there)....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post

If not for TV, kids like Cade Mays, Tee Higgins, and Amari Rogers wouldn't even know who he is (probably missed a few in there)....
    If not for gas my truck wouldn’t run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Starters

Hunter Johnson
    Tee Higgins
    Amari Rodgers

Soon:
    Cade Mays
    Lyn J-Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Why Gruden? Im not bashing or trying to start an internet fight, so convince me.

Gruden has not coached a game since 2008 and has never coached a game in college. Sure he was a grad assistant, but come on.

Does he have a network of assistant coaches and coordinators ready to come with him?

Does he have any network built with High school coaches? Other than name, how will he recruit?

What will his offensive philosophy be? He was a "west coast offense" guy when he was coaching. That is not a college offense. Will it be successful in the SEC?

What are the pros to his hire?

Discuss
    Don't get me wrong I really like Gruden but to me this would be like throwing darts at a board and see what stuck

Really don't see the infatuation with Gruden the UT fans have

Guess we will see

Peyton and Phil are very involved this go around and there is no limit on the budget. That wasn’t the case when Dooley and Butch were hired. Especially the money issue.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    If not for gas my truck wouldn’t run.

If not for balls, my uncle would be my aunt

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    If not for balls, my uncle would be my aunt
    Right?

Peyton and Phil are very involved this go around and there is no limit on the budget. That wasn’t the case when Dooley and Butch were hired. Especially the money issue.

Thats great! my question still remains, If I gave you a blank check signed by the university of Tennessee.....would you give it to John Gruden? Why would Peyton and Phil?

I dont know if he is interested, I dont know if he would suck or be successful. I am just curious as to why him.

He was a career .500 coach in the NFL and hasn't coached in nearly 10 years. Add to that he has never coached a down in college and to my knowledge has never been on an in home visit.

Its just an odd choice.

The press conferences would be entertaining.

He could be like what yall accuse Dabo of; He would be just the figure head and have capable coordinators.

Just wanted to know know your reasoning.

#soon does not give me any of that reasoning.........
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Thats great! my question still remains, If I gave you a blank check signed by the university of Tennessee.....would you give it to John Gruden? Why would Peyton and Phil?

I dont know if he is interested, I dont know if he would suck or be successful. I am just curious as to why him.

He was a career .500 coach in the NFL and hasn't coached in nearly 10 years. Add to that he has never coached a down in college and to my knowledge has never been on an in home visit.

Its just an odd choice.

The press conferences would be entertaining.

He could be like what yall accuse Dabo of; He would be just the figure head and have capable coordinators.

Just wanted to know know your reasoning.

#soon does not give me any of that reasoning.........
    I think they would put together the best staff in America and out recruit almost everyone starting immediately.

Personally, I would hire Kiffin today. He is a championship waiting to happen.

Personally, I would hire Kiffin today. He is a championship waiting to happen.
    Almost every UT fan I have talked to has said the same thing. I understand that one even less than I do Gruden.

Kiffin has a ton of hype around him, but his record doesn't show it. Not to mention the snub.