Thread: Home Camera System Questions

Default Home Camera System Questions

School me on a home camera system. We have multiple buildings on the property and the gate to our farm is less than a mile away. I want a camera at the farm gate, and multiple cameras on each building. I know some will have to be wireless and I will have one central DVR. I also want the DVR box internet accessible from a mobile device. What is the best and most affordable brand to achieve a quality system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Check out supercircuits.com. I think their equipment is on par with the higher end stuff. You can call them and they'll help you with design. Tech support is good and they are based in Austin, TX. So, their techs speak English. It's hard to beat their prices to.

I have Luma at home and the office.
    I have not been impressed with the quality of the video or system.

Thanks for the advise
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Arlo Pro where you have internet or WiFi. Arlo Go where you just have cell service. You will not be dissatisfied.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

If you can get power at your gate location, you can locally power the camera and will then send video back to your NVR wirelessly through the use of access points. I have some contacts that can help you out, if need be. Granted it all depends on distance, power and accessibility.
    "run and gun guide service"

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    Arlo Pro where you have internet or WiFi. Arlo Go where you just have cell service. You will not be dissatisfied.
    The Arlo system looks nice but I only see a system for 6 cameras. Is 6 the most you can run per system? Also, the 300ft range would be to limiting for my application.
    Last edited by swampshooter; 11-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    If you can get power at your gate location, you can locally power the camera and will then send video back to your NVR wirelessly through the use of access points. I have some contacts that can help you out, if need be. Granted it all depends on distance, power and accessibility.
    Yes, I can get power to the gate easily, as long as you are referring to a standard 120V outlet. The gate is less than 1 mile away with some trees in between. It is definitely not a clear line of sight, I would say 20% trees 80% field from gate to house. You have any brand recommendations?

Bump this up. It's time for me to stop dragging my feet on this as well.

I bought the Arlo system for my mom and it has worked great for her. She really likes the real time alerts sent to her phone. But my dogs would limit the effectiveness of this for me.

Any others worth looking into?

Is anyone running one of the doorbell applications? I don't know that I need a full system, but this seems to fit what I would be looking for.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    also use this camera, i'm satisfised

I have the arlo pro at my house and liked it enough to purchase my mom one. She loves it. Costco had a good deal on a 3 camera system. All my stuff is mounted on the house so range wasn't a concern for me. At her house we mounted one across the yard pointed down the drive and at the boat shed. Its probably right at about 200' and works great. The batteries last about 2 months in active locations which is a bit of a pain but not vs hard wiring everything. I don't know how they link in with cell arlos. I would recommend the products though.

How good is the night video from the Arlo cameras? I mean, distance wise and resolution combined.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

For the ARLO, I would say the night distance is not great. It works better in the woods or where there is something in the background for the IR to reflect off of. It does not reach out very far in a field or open space.
    It is probably fine, but if you expecting it to reach out like a cuddeback camera, you will be dissapointed.

I'm just looking to watch over the cars in my driveway. About 30 feet max.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen