Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSA on Leica ER5

^ Gotcha, Mine was on the door step this evening when I got home.

Its definitely better than the model at Carolina Rod and Gun but still not silky smooth on the optic power zoom nor paralax but will work.

Clicks are mushy but its not a dial up scope anyhow really.

Glass is right beside my NXS 56 easily maybe slightly better.

All in all a great price for what it is.
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-08-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    ^ Gotcha, Mine was on the door step this evening when I got home.

Its definitely better than the model at Carolina Rod and Gun but still not silky smooth on the optic power zoom nor paralax but will work.

Clicks are mushy but its not a dial up scope anyhow really.

Glass is right beside my NXS 56 easily maybe slightly better.

All in all a great price for what it is.
    Might work in as you use it. I put mine on the No.1 tonight. That rifle has always been tricky with short eye relief scopes but, this one has a longer tube and great eye relief. Best set up I've ever had on the gun. Going to zero it and kill shit dead. Yeah, clicks are mushy but, everything I read said they were and not to worry about it. For $650.00 the glass is damn near amazing, hell for the $1300.00 retail price the glass is amazing. I hope to see what it does in some low light this weekend once I get it zero'd. I do like the way it resets to zero, same as my Trijicon 4-16 and S&B. Appears to be a pretty solid optic overall.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Any reviews on 3x15x56? Debating it, trijicon, or the big 5..
    Last edited by trash2; 11-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Any reviews on 3x15x56? Debating it, trijicon, or the big 5..
    Haven't shot it yet. Mine is smooth, clear as can be, seriously the glass is incredible for this price optic. Reticle is the 4A, it's bold but without being too heavy. Mind you it is a hunting reticle so, you aren't going to be running a PRS match with it but you could kill the hell out of anything you'd know a hold-over on. It's a little heavy and I doubt I'd want it on a rifle I was going to pack all over the place but for a sitting gun, it'll do just fine. I haven't had the pleasure of looking through it at dusk but, my guess is it'll be impressive. I'll try to write it up a little better after I get a chance to put it on the range.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Where are you located trash? I plan on testing mine tomorrow at dusk. That will be what makes me decide to keep the Burris or sell it really cheap and get another one of these.

Alex has always been good to me, bought several Meopta fixed from him, now the 4A is BO, so if I go with the BP in the 50 do I need the Mag or standard for my 280 AI ? I will set to 6 or 7 and leave it alone ,I don't dial up or down. I use binocs for that.I am old school, there have been more deer killed with a fixed power scope in the west( Leus 6 X 42, or Reds 6 X 42) than anything else. Look on 24Hr and you will see that there are a lot of fixed power shooters, Strick knows, I see him on 24hr. Your pupil will only open to 6-8 mm depending on the individual eye. A run of the mill 30mm and 56 obj scope will not have the same light transmission of good Euro glass that is 30mm X 42mm. The Europeans shoot fixed 7 or 8 X 56 because a lot of their shot are at night on a good moon.
    I will buy it to run on my Ackley and put my 7 X 56 Meopta on my 308.

Opinions?

My long range and some of ya'll long is totally different, but I am 65yrs old so not as good as it once was. Strick knows exactly where I hunt.

rrc, the only thing I can respond to for you is that the Mag Leica scopes are for the 300 Win Mag round, or at least the Ballistic Reticles are. For the 280 AI you'd go with a standard reticle.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

RR,

For where you are hunting it would be hard pressed to get a shot past 200 at least from what I have seen there, so personally I would just run the duplex. Now if you want the BP and " If " you are running a 150 grainer or under then go Magnum BP , if above 150 grains I would opt for the Standard, its just a velocity reticle in essence. Trash for the money you won't find better glass buddy.

Its truly hard to beat the Swfa 6x42 power for just about everything dialing , glass or otherwise but its just not my cup o tea.. Big Stick over on the fire will learn ya up quick on that scope and hillariously so... Dude knows his chit like no other I have ever met period including F Galli.
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Thanks David, I have a SS10 X42, plan on running 150 NP or NAB. I thought about some Bergers or Barnes but I have had great success with Nosler.
    Your input?

Claude

BTW I saw your published article awhile back, impressive work. I think it was in the N& C.

Claude go standard. It's a BDC, you're going to have to figure out the zero points on either of them. 150 AB and BT are interchangeable in my 7mm08 and would be impressive in the Ackley. Going to load some for my FinnBear soon.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Where are you located trash? I plan on testing mine tomorrow at dusk. That will be what makes me decide to keep the Burris or sell it really cheap and get another one of these.
    I'm heading to catch a plane now, will be out of town for a few weeks at work. Would love the feedback tho.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Thanks David, I have a SS10 X42, plan on running 150 NP or NAB. I thought about some Bergers or Barnes but I have had great success with Nosler.
    Your input?

Claude

BTW I saw your published article awhile back, impressive work. I think it was in the N& C.
    Hard to beat either Partition or AB partner, especially in that environment. If you were headed out West for long range killing then I would say try some bergers just to gain a little flat ground..
    Genesis 9;2

So out of curiousity, per the original question on the Standard vs Mag Ballitic reticle... Is the .280 AI closer to the .308 or the .300 WM?

I ask because the rep at EO.com told me the standard is geared to the .308 and the Mag is geared to the .300 WM. Yes, Salty, you're correct that any BR is going to have to be gauged to each load to be meaningful, but I'm figuring one is probably closer to that goal than the other. I am just not familiar with the .280 AI.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    ~ George Washington

The 280 AI is equivalent to the 7 Rem Mag just in a non belted brass. So to answer the question I would say closer to 300WM than 308W.
    My 280 AI is not the same chamber dimension as the new Nosler riflesand ammo, they are chambered to SAAMI specs, mine is chambered to the original Ackley specs, slightly different shoulder and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    The 280 AI is equivalent to the 7 Rem Mag just in a non belted brass. So to answer the question I would say closer to 300WM than 308W.
    My 280 AI is not the same chamber dimension as the new Nosler riflesand ammo, they are chambered to SAAMI specs, mine is chambered to the original Ackley specs, slightly different shoulder and neck.

The 280AI is 100 FPS slower than the 7rm.

It’s a great round but let’s not make it something it isn’t.

Thanks for the info, rrc.
    ~ George Washington

Time to sight in and kill critters.

IMG_0433.JPG

Nice rig, Salty. What height rings are those?
    ~ George Washington

Good looking rig Salty. I mounted mine yesterday and plan on sighting it in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Nice rig, Salty. What height rings are those?
    High. Can't clear mediums on a 56 on a No.1. I got a leather cheek pad/cartridge holder due in tomorrow.

Sight it in and hunt it tomorrow evening to see how it performs in low light. Got a 140grn load worked up for that 7RM that shoots about 1" or a tad under.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.