Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA on Leica ER5

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Since it's a hunting optic and we don't have many shots here over 250, I got the 4A. I just shoot a #4 or its variations better in hunting situations than others.
    Likewise, the majority of my hunting is on pastures or lanes out to 200-300 yds, but the one sewer easement I regularly sit is clear out to 510+ yds, with occasional deer traffic angling from about 285 to the 500 yd range. Thus far I've just watched them. I don't normally move up that direction because 180 degrees downstream is clear to 214 yds and deer come out of the swampy area also, so the swivel seat is well used. My tripod is where it is because the land owner doesn't want any stands farther upstream because his duck swamp is in that area.

I've had one 4A reticle in an Elite 4200, but they were so heavy they blocked the view more than I cared for. 2th owns that scope now.

Does the Zeiss 4A have lighter weight stadia? They appear to be, but I've never looked through one.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Not a dumb thought. It would be great for the 5 times out of 100 that I would use it. The rest of the time it's just cluttering up the sight picture. That's why I went with the 4a. The articles I've found on the ER5 line suggest a dependable and accurate turret function as well, albeit capped.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Likewise, the majority of my hunting is on pastures or lanes out to 200-300 yds, but the one sewer easement I regularly sit is clear out to 510+ yds, with occasional deer traffic angling from about 285 to the 500 yd range. Thus far I've just watched them. I don't normally move up that direction because 180 degrees downstream is clear to 214 yds and deer come out of the swampy area also, so the swivel seat is well used. My tripod is where it is because the land owner doesn't want any stands farther upstream because his duck swamp is in that area.

I've had one 4A reticle in an Elite 4200, but they were so heavy they blocked the view more than I cared for. 2th owns that scope now.

Does the Zeiss 4A have lighter weight stadia? They appear to be, but I've never looked through one.
    No where near as thick as the 4200. Probably about 1/4 on the heavy posts. Much more precise. I liked my 4200 but I wasn't crazy about the thickness of that reticle. However you could see the SOB in pitch black without illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Not a dumb thought. It would be great for the 5 times out of 100 that I would use it. The rest of the time it's just cluttering up the sight picture. That's why I went with the 4a. The articles I've found on the ER5 line suggest a dependable and accurate turret function as well, albeit capped.
    I've been coming to that same line of thinking... 'Great to have the few times I'd use it, but needless clutter most of the time'.

Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    No where near as thick as the 4200. Probably about 1/4 on the heavy posts. Much more precise. I liked my 4200 but I wasn't crazy about the thickness of that reticle. However you could see the SOB in pitch black without illumination.
    I was trying to do a comparison of the online reticle picture of the ER5 and some old photos I'd taken to sell that 4200 and I was guessing 1/2-1/3, but it would be great if they're even lighter than that.

Guess I'll take the plunge and try it. Just wish they had a 3-10x40 to keep the weight down since this is also my stalking rifle.

Thanks again, Salty.
    ~ George Washington

OK, you guys convinced me. I've got a 2-10x50 w/4A reticle on back-order. Hopefully that won't take long, although I'll need some time anyway to figure out what I'm going to do about the rings since I don't have any non-AR 30mm rings to fit the Leupold one-piece dovetail base I've got on my Model 7.

Thanks for all the info.

Btw, if anyone else is debating this purchase, here's a good review article on the ER5 scopes...

http://blog.1800gunsandammo.com/leica-er-5-review/
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-04-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    OK, you guys convinced me. I've got a 2-10x50 w/4A reticle on back-order. Hopefully that won't take long, although I'll need some time anyway to figure out what I'm going to do about the rings since I don't have any non-AR 30mm rings to fit the Leupold one-piece dovetail base I've got on my Model 7.

Thanks for all the info.

Btw, if anyone else is debating this purchase, here's a good review article on the ER5 scopes...

http://blog.1800gunsandammo.com/leica-er-5-review/
    If you already have the base the leupold 30mm rings are around $40 on midwayusa. I ordered a set the other day because I have 1 inch leupold rings on the gun I'm going to put the Leica on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    If you already have the base the leupold 30mm rings are around $40 on midwayusa. I ordered a set the other day because I have 1 inch leupold rings on the gun I'm going to put the Leica on.
    Thanks for the Talley link, Britton40, although I'm going to try to stick with the one piece base. We'll see.

Coastal, I think I've located a set of the low Burris Signature rings, but those Leupolds are a good alternative. Thanks for the tip.
    ~ George Washington

I was able to do a side by side comparison today between my trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56, Leupold vx3 3.5-10x50 and the Leica 2-10x50. The Leupold crapped out probably 10 minutes before the others with the reticle being nonexistent and it was very grainy at dark. The Trijicon was just slightly brighter than the Leica at last light and I prefered the illuminated reticle. I'm impressed with the Leica at this point and the 4a reticle was great at lowlight. I only give the trijicon a slight advantage which might be due to the 56mm objective over the 50mm on the Leica. The 2-10x50 should make a great all around hunting scope.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 11-07-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Mine came today. I plan on comparing Thursday evening with my xtr

Got mine today. Reticle is thicker than my S&B but it's not illuminated so that's good for low light. Glass is great, very clear through the magnification range. Going to mount it tomorrow and sight it in Saturday. See how it does on the No.1.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I was able to do a side by side comparison today between my trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56, Leupold vx3 3.5-10x50 and the Leica 2-10x50. The Leupold crapped out probably 10 minutes before the others with the reticle being nonexistent and it was very grainy at dark. The Trijicon was just slightly brighter than the Leica at last light and I prefered the illuminated reticle. I'm impressed with the Leica at this point and the 4a reticle was great at lowlight. I only give the trijicon a slight advantage which might be due to the 56mm objective over the 50mm on the Leica. The 2-10x50 should make a great all around hunting scope.
    That's great to hear. I'll do a comparison with the Swarovski Habicht A 2.5-10x42 and a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-10x40 when I get my paws on the Leica 2-10x50.
    ~ George Washington

Mine came today. Pissed it was dark before I got home. DNZ will.hopefully show Friday so I can shoot Saturday am. Going on my 700 .22-250.

Been watching these hard just haven't pulled the trigger. On the fence between the Leica and Trijicon. Scope is going on a Browning Bar.

I've got one in the shopping cart, just trying to conjure up a way to convince the wife it's her Christmas present.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've got one in the shopping cart, just trying to conjure up a way to convince the wife it's her Christmas present.
    Explain to her how it's to her long term benefit for your eyes to not be strained so much by the lower quality scopes you've always settled for to save $$$. Hey, there is a ring of truth to it, now sell it!
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Tell her it's an accessory for that Weber you got from me. Put it on a gun, kill something and grill it for her. Accessory-ized.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Salty , was your optical adjustment power ring tight as pizz to turn? I bought the 3-15x56 ballistic plex for the hell of it. Tried one out at the store and the zoom ring was daggum near frozen in place and with that rubber ring around that immediately thought this thing is gonna unglue etc.
    Genesis 9;2

I couldn't stand it so I mounted mine after work last night and whoa what a nice piece of glass. Compared it next to my XRT II and I think its hands down superior. I will probably end up selling the XTR and getting another one of these. Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Salty , was your optical adjustment power ring tight as pizz to turn? I bought the 3-15x56 ballistic plex for the hell of it. Tried one out at the store and the zoom ring was daggum near frozen in place and with that rubber ring around that immediately thought this thing is gonna unglue etc.
    Smooth as greased glass. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the clicks on the turrets aren't real defined but they seem to lock well. The parallax is smooth a silk too.