Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl jacket

Cabela's 4 in 1 owner for about a decade. If its above freezing I wear this jacket and a t-shirt. If its below freezing I wear a long sleeve or a thermal underneith. Always warm, always dry. I wore the shell to the Clemson Game this weekend as a matter of fact. Stayed dry through 4 hours of solid wind blown rain. Best part is if you pull the hood up and button every thing up it keeps your head dry, which is something most wax jackets miss. But a good wax jacket is hard to beat for a cold windy day. I dont think the two are interchangeable, you need both in the closet.

I've got a Drake 4-in-1 jacket in XL that I'm about to put in the TP only because I have too many jackets I'm not wearing. The shell (MODB camo) has never been worn outside the house. The zip-out fleece-lined jacket (MODB upper half and sleeves, brown fleece lower half) also has zip-off sleeves, so the versatility is great. The liner jacket has been worn a little, but is in excellent condition.

As for the waterproof qualities of a Drake shell, I've just sprayed them like I do most other jackets with one of the new waterproofing sprays for synthetic/breathable shells.

Just let me know if you're interested.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Thanks Woodie, but I'm getting away from Drake for a little while.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have an old browning 3in one. It has to be bitter cold to wear it. I mostly wear a long sleave shirt, fleece pullover and an old mccalister wading jacket.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Thanks Woodie, but I'm getting away from Drake for a little while.
    No problem here.

If you want to go 'lightweight', I'd go with the Columbia Widgeon. They have several models of liners, or used to. For heavier weight, the guys above already mentioned the Filson or Barbour options, with Barbour being lighter weight from what I remember. I've just never found my waxed coats to really be 'breathable' so have sold the two McAlister wader jackets I had, plus I didn't like the heavy weight of them. If you're looking for a Large size, check with Strick9. He was selling one I sold to him, but I don't know if he sold it already or not.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I have been really impressed with my sitka delta wading jacket. Going on my 4th season with it. I also flyfish in it. The gusseted sleeves are great. It's not a 3 in one system, but it's the best hunting shell i have owned. Why do you want a system? I'm just curious
    finally pulling the trigger on this one myself, agree price is high as giraffe pussy but hoping it last for 5 years
    Last edited by SBPep; 10-31-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I have an old browning 3in one. It has to be bitter cold to wear it. I mostly wear a long sleave shirt, fleece pullover and an old mccalister wading jacket.

I've got one, i don't think its a 3/1 just a browning DC edition that one of the down puffy jackets zips into a mobu gortex liner. nice jacket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    And there's no way in hell I could pay all that $$ for a sitka. Even if I had it to spend, I still couldn't justify it.
    totally get it. I'm a buy once cry once guy. The most i had been getting out of cabelas/bass pro/drake was two seasons. At four seasons i have come out even and expect it to last way longer.

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

anybody got any of this avery heritage stuff. Looks good.

https://averyoutdoors.com/store/?c=4...8736d-68374607

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    I've got one, i don't think its a 3/1 just a browning DC edition that one of the down puffy jackets zips into a mobu gortex liner. nice jacket.
    Same one I have. Its warm as hell! first nice jacket I ever had. Got it for Christmas one year. Also moved up from canvas waters to neoprenes that year. It felt weird to be duck hunting and actually be dry and warm.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Same one I have. Its warm as hell! first nice jacket I ever had. Got it for Christmas one year. Also moved up from canvas waters to neoprenes that year. It felt weird to be duck hunting and actually be dry and warm.
    it may have been my first nice one as well, i started wearing neoprene about the same time, a 3mm lacrosse pair, and remember thinking how great it was to be warm, and how easy it was to wade in them. my legs seem to "lift" themselves out the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Cold weather below 30 rivers west eider
    Not real cold 30+ rivers west pintail

Best jackets for ducks I've bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Filson 622

Or

Old Columbia Widgeon with a coat of otter wax.

That eider jacket will burn you slam up around here. I got one need to get the pintail

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat8991 View Post
    That eider jacket will burn you slam up around here. I got one need to get the pintail
    It was 20 and snowing one morning and I had the eider and a t shirt on and was warm
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    All you're doing is wasting money if you don't buy goretex.
    This! Sitka makes some jam up stuff. It’s pricey, but if you can talk yourself into it like I did, you won’t have to buy another jacket again. I’ve hunted in torrential rain for a solid hour and didn’t have a damn drop on me underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a Columbia Widgeon, the same one, for 13 years. Never leaked. And it keeps me warm with the liner in it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I just ordered one of these, because my old Herter's jacket is starting to show its age. I still get a sick feeling when I think about when Cabela's bought out Herter's.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

The waxed cotton is very dry and very durable. But, you will sweat your ass off if walking any distance. I just bought a Sitka Delta. I have yet to use it, though.