Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl jacket

Default Waterfowl jacket

Need some ideas on a good waterfowl jacket. Would like a 2n1 system with a hard waterproof shell and an inner insulated jacket that can zip out.

I like the Columbia widgeon but I’ve never seen one in person. What else should I look at?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I've had a Cabela's 4 in 1 for many years. Warm, but will get wet if it's raining hard.

All you're doing is wasting money if you don't buy goretex.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoorsLight View Post
    I've had a Cabela's 4 in 1 for many years. Warm, but will get wet if it's raining hard.
    I've read that it's because they screwed some of them up by installing the zipper flaps below the zipper instead of above. Call them to replace.

doesn't get anymore water proof than waxed jackets. we haven't had too many cold days in the last few years where i needed a whole jacket system, I've ended up with a sweater and a vest more times than not. if its nasty ill break out the mcalester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

X2 for grease coat. Unless it's bitterly cold...then I go to the Sitka boreal.

Layers. I usually wear a Macks PW wind proof hoodie that keeps me dry and warm in anything short of a monsoon. Have worn it as low as -10deg and been fine. I like shit tucked in my waders, can't stand shit over them.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 10-30-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    cut\'em

Filson #435

20171030_201444.jpg

A Solway and a wading, my main two hunting coats

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I have been really impressed with my sitka delta wading jacket. Going on my 4th season with it. I also flyfish in it. The gusseted sleeves are great. It's not a 3 in one system, but it's the best hunting shell i have owned. Why do you want a system? I'm just curious

I wear either a filson field cloth or tin cloth, wool vest under it is best. If its cold, I have a KUIU down jacket I wear under it.

I have the cabelas 4-1 parka and like it, but I only wear it when it’s cold and pissing rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I have the Banded White River coat. I picked it up a year ago and wore it a couple of times since. It did what it was supposed to do.

not a system, but love my sitka hudson jacket. i got 5 years out of my redhead 2 in 1, was looking at the Columbia Wigeon too, but after trying on the Sitka, i bit the bullet & after 2 seasons it's proved worth every penny, although it is ridiculously overpriced. the shell pockets are taller, narrower, & higher up which makes a huge difference carrying around a box of shells. it's also about 1/3 as thick as my redhead, a drake, or any other 2 in 1, way more comfy, & i always had to layer up under the 2 in 1 systems anyway, so it's much less bulky on the cold days in this thing. my redhead kept me dry in downpours for the first few years, but then it started leaking, a quick waterproof treatment & it was good, but it always got so heavy when wet, & the sitka doesn't do that, must b that fancy goretex shit, only downside is the neoprene cuffs are super comfy & seal amazing, but Off Deepwoods will melt them, at first i thought there's no way this thin jacket will keep me warm, but it does even sitting still in the freezing wind, must be that fancy primaloft shit...
    Last edited by shoooooots; 10-31-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Why do you want a system? I'm just curious
    Don't need a system.. Mainly interested in a hard outer shell. SC hunting rarely gets cold enough for the insulated layer anyways. I just thought it would be hard to find a hard outer shell without getting the insulation added in.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have a cabelas brush buster 2 in 1 wader jacket. I don’t care what anyone says, a Filson or any other waxed jacket is not dryer than this. It is by far the warmest and dryers jacket I have ever owned. Water doesn’t soak into the material it beads right off. The cuffs are elasticly tight which has kept water out of my sleeves when I tripped and my arms went under water. I have warn it on 10 degree days with a chamois shirt and fleece vest and had to leave it unzipped at times to keep from sweating.

Now, I have said all that to say this, I rarely wear it. For starters cabelas really fudged up on the coloring, the material is very bright to the point of worrying that I’m sticking out. I bought this jacket when all I did was hunt out of pits so I wasn’t as concerned about the brightness. Also, the zippers for the hand pockets are too tight so when your hands are freezing and you go to stick them in your pockets, the zippers cut them up. Also it’s difficult to get shells out of them quickly. Not a huge deal but one of the designers should have picked up on the issue.

I now mainly hunt in my Filson bc I mainly hunt timber so it blends in better than shadowgrass and it has a few other benefits. But on the coldest or rainiest days of the season I’ll be wearing my cabelas brush buster.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

And there's no way in hell I could pay all that $$ for a sitka. Even if I had it to spend, I still couldn't justify it.

I've got a Drake 3 in 1 wader jacket I bought 5 years ago. It's been great. I've fallen in the water and stayed dry on the inside of that thing.
    "I'm the type of person that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, Aww shit....he's up"

HRCH Shakin' The Southland Shelby MH