Thread: Ignition Question/ No fire

Default Ignition Question/ No fire

My little commuter car: 01 Mazda Protege

Scenario: Was headed to go scout a piece of property. When I cranked the car at lunch, it sputtered a bit when I gave it some gas. Got down the road and it was fine. Stopped for lunch, got back in cranked fine, no sputter.

Got going down the road about 5 miles and the car cut off. Was able to drift off a back road and stop. Car wouldn't crank back up. All lights, radio etc still worked. Fuel pump kicks in when I try to restart. All belts turn over, but you can tell nothing is firing, you can just hear the belts turning over.

Got it pulled back to the house, and started initial diagnosis.

Checked coils: One was really hot to the touch, the other was ambient temperature. Checked fire with no fire on 1,3 the others are attached to coil. ( only two coils and 2 spark plug wires) Coil 1( 1,4) Coil 2(2,3).

Checked relays and fuses and seemed to check out.

Googled and Googled, what I find is one( bad Crank position sensor, bad mass air flow sensor( took it off and cleaned very well), or Computer.

However I'm not sure how to determine a bad Crank position Sensor or bad computer.

Any thoughts on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

If you have check engine light on, I would scan and get codes first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    If you have check engine light on, I would scan and get codes first.
    Well here is the kicker, duckcutter came to get me, I had to take my battery out to use for his winch on his trailer. Thus clearing to codes. We tried to code check it after putting battery back in, but no prevail.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

*avail

You should be able to test the CPS with a multimeter. You just need to work some google fu to figure out what the acceptable ohm range is.

I'll wager you're going to have a fuel pressure code when you do get it to throw a code (fuel pump). However, I can't explain your lack of fire on those coils other than I'm assuming you're missing a good ground when you try to test it.

A sensor goes out over time. Eventually, when it works out of range, a CEL will present itself. If you had/have no CEL, I'm doubtful its the sensor.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

If you don't have fire, I'd start with crank sensor. The code would have been helpful, some scanners (better ones) will tell you history codes. Again a good scanner will tell you if you have RPMs in status request while trying to crank. If it reads 300 or higher as it turns over then usually crank sensor is fine. No fire on one cyl per coil is odd.

I'd make damn sure you have fuel pressure. Not sure about a Mazda but some cars will kill fire if there is no fuel pressure.
    More fuel = more boost!!

#samesies
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I was typing as you hit post.

But know some cars kill fire if fuel pressure is in lack of presence.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Timing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I was typing as you hit post.

But know some cars kill fire if fuel pressure is in lack of presence.
    Noted and filed in the back of my head.

Never ran into that one.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

sure its not the ball joint?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Lose crank signal and you'll lose spark. I'd check there

What they said...

If you don't have fire, I'd start with crank sensor. The code would have been helpful, some scanners (better ones) will tell you history codes. Again a good scanner will tell you if you have RPMs in status request while trying to crank. If it reads 300 or higher as it turns over then usually crank sensor is fine. No fire on one cyl per coil is odd.

I'd make damn sure you have fuel pressure. Not sure about a Mazda but some cars will kill fire if there is no fuel pressure.
    My scanner won't pull a past code, it's a cheap one.
    I paid less than a dollar for it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I'm getting no RPMs, so that's leading me to the Cranks position sensor like all posts above. When I finally found the sensor, it is covered in oil, so it has me believing more that the sensor is bad.

Thanks all for the input, will try to replace tonight and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    My scanner won't pull a past code, it's a cheap one.
    I paid less than a dollar for it
    Long as it does what you want it to do then it doesn't matter. The Snapon Zeus I'm looking at is 21K with the work station. Imagine having to write that check.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Long as it does what you want it to do then it doesn't matter. The Snapon Zeus I'm looking at is 21K with the work station. Imagine having to write that check.
    I don't want to imagine that, I wouldn't mind seeing What all that machine is capable of doing though.

Mine was an inexpensive unit off Amazon, bought the same day I renewed my prime membership. It threw some sort of weird discount because I renewed that day and it wound up being like $0.89. It's helped me to figure out a lot of stuff though.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Having a unit like that at your disposal is worth every penny and you know it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Tommy would have to show him how to use it.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

He doesn't do well with technology. Tommy still uses a typewriter.
    More fuel = more boost!!