Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Rifle

My wife got her grandads 30-06 with he died a few years ago. Each grand child got a gun. She really could care less about hunting but said she wanted to shoot it. I bought another stock for it and cut it down because she is only 5 foot. I didnt want to mess up her grandads orginal stock. I bought her the 50 percent less recoil bullets. It worked great. No kick. I now have a 5 year old that is starting to get interested in hunting. I will let him start with it in a few years and when he gets bigger put the original stock back on it. The 50 percent recoil bullets are the ticket with young or small shooters. Bullets fly almost identical out to 200. Then drop fast
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 10-29-2017 at 08:10 PM.

I recently bought a Remington 783youth in .243 at Dicks for $249 with 3x9 scope. 20" barrel. It far exceeded my expectations in how well it shot. Also, HSM makes a reduced recoil round for .243 that is real nice and easy for new shooters, or recoil sensitive.
    Mike

Reduced recoil and .243 shouldn’t even be in the same sentence
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    Reduced recoil and .243 shouldn’t even be in the same sentence
    Whatever happened to just acting tough and shooting whatever gun your old man had?
    Dad never worried about youth guns for me, I could shoot his stuff or stay at the house.

I didn't spend much time at the house.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 11-01-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Whatever happened to just acting tough and shooting whatever gun your old man had?
    Dad never worried about youth guns for me, I could shoot his stuff or stay at the house.

I didn't spend much time at the house.
    My dad never hunted and new very little about it. First rifle he got me was a 30-06 and several boxes off Remington 220gr corelockt. I was 7 or 8 years old and learned a lot about recoil the first time shooting it.
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    I got a Remington 770 youth 243 and my 8 year old loves it
    I have the same rifle for my 6yo. He shoots the reduced recoil loads really well thru it. Other than the cross hairs being extremely thick, the whole package is not bad for $350.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Don’t overlook an AR as a youth gun. The collapsible stock and no recoil are hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had full intentions of my 6yo hunting with an AR, like you mention has the collapsible stock and minimal recoil. I found this bolt gun on here, decided to get it thinking he would grow into it. This summer I let him mount it and it did not seem too big. We shot it the next weekend and he did really well, so we kept going.

Santa brought my son a Savage axis in .308, non youth model, when he was 8 had a muzzle break put on that reduced recoil but made it super loud (obviously). If you have one, a can will reduce recoil plenty, and he wont have to wear hearing protection. Guy i purchased it from recommended shying away from the accutrigger in order to develop good form; however I think having the accutrigger would be a plus based on my experience with him shooting

Mine shoot either the Marlin 30-30, a NEF single shot .308, or my Abolt .308 (the 13 yo is an inch shy of my height now). None are youth rifles. They took very few shots on paper with anything but the .22 prior to shooting them at a deer. All are technically adult rifles, but the Marlin and the Single Shot were easiest for them to handle in a stand when they were young.

Mine shoots the savage axis II in 7-08. Shoots the Hornady custom lite managed recoil bullets. He is 11 and has been shooting it for 3 years. Good results. I did change the scope out after the first year. The scope on the package was very poor in low light conditions as would be expected.
    Last edited by Tmbrhntr; 11-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.

My dad never hunted and new very little about it. First rifle he got me was a 30-06 and several boxes off Remington 220gr corelockt. I was 7 or 8 years old and learned a lot about recoil the first time shooting it.

the mental image of this made me laugh pretty hard....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

You're probably a better man because of it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    the mental image of this made me laugh pretty hard....
    I still remember telling him how bad it kicked after about the 3rd shot. He then told me that I was acting like my sister & took the rifle from me. He shot it 1 time, said s.o.b you aren’t kidding. He handed it back to me and never shot it again. I shot it about 10 more times to where I could hit a paper plate. We said it was good enough and he took me hunting the next morning. He sat me on the ground be behind my great grandmothers house right at day light and told me not to move until he came back to get me. Shot my first buck that morning, 200lb 8pt still one of the biggest deer I have shot. Never worried much about recoil after all that

Savage 111 youth is nice. I have one in 7-08
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

NEF single shot 30-30 is what my boys used. My son shot it last week. Still dead on and accurate. Hopefully my grandson with use it to take his first deer in a couple years.
    E T

Savage Axis .223 and 7mm-08 for 199 plus 50 mail in rebate at Cabelas. 149 after rebate.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...9.uts?slotId=2

Go ahead and get the youth...if and when he outgrows it, you can spend $100 and buy a new stock. There are tons of options available for the Savage and Remington rifles....it'll take you 2 minutes to swap out
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

.243 and a 7 mm-08 with reduced recoil ammo.

I shot a deer the other night with my savage .243 that was the first rifle I ever got at 7 or 8 years old. Was great then and still great now. Optics have been upgraded is all.

Brought him to the range today to see if he could handle the 6.8 in an AR platform. After the first round to familiarize him with the recoil, he was consistently ringing the steel plates at 100 yards. Bet him 5 bucks he couldn't hit the 3" plate hanging from the rack, I owe him 5 bucks.