Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shady Grove Kennels - Ricky Coward

Take the dog and visit the perspective kennels. See how the trainer and dog react to each other.

I have a dog that Ricky force fetched as that is all she needed. I referred many people to him in 2010-2012 timeframe. I was out of the dog training/buying market for a while. He does have a good reputation.

Rhett(HuntinCosta) seems to have a good reputation and comes highly recommended as well.

I have no experienced with Lakeside beyond passing there billboard in Newberry. Never had a voice of the customer referral so they must be new to the county.
    Last edited by Smilee; 10-28-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yelladog View Post
    Coot- have you had a dog of yours trained by Ricky recently?
    A couple years ago I did and had not one complaint. Not just saying this because Ricky and I are good friends. I do agree with labhumper. If you are looking to take the dog to higher levels such as hand signals and stuff I would check out other trainers. Ricky can do it for sure but I don't believe he does left and right backs just a back command. But like I said if you want a damn good hunting dog that won't break and deliver to hand. You will not be disappointed at all by Ricky.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Ricky is good people and an excellent trainer. He's trained all my dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Thanks Coot, you splained it much better than I did.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Ricky is a great guy and did a great job with my dog. He finished with him in July and he retrieved to hand all dove season at 18 months old. He gave me exactly what I wanted, a steady hunting dog.

How well trained do you want your lab? If it's basic obedience, about any trainer can do it. If you want a trainer that can get everything out of your lab he's capable of, it narrowsit down to a very few. I used Bay Creek. I still use Rhett at Bay Creek for tuneups. I can't say enough good things about Rhetts training or his ability to coax the most out of a lab. One thing with Rhett is he won't bs you to keep your dog there longer then you need. I also like that he runs a lot of dogs in hunt tests and field trials and is very successful. If a trainer can carry 12 dogs to a hunt test and all or even most of them pass, that shows he knows his stuff. I'm different than a lot of duck hunters in that I want a great family dog but I also want and demand a well trained retriever.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    How well trained do you want your lab? If it's basic obedience, about any trainer can do it. If you want a trainer that can get everything out of your lab he's capable of, it narrowsit down to a very few. I used Bay Creek. I still use Rhett at Bay Creek for tuneups. I can't say enough good things about Rhetts training or his ability to coax the most out of a lab. One thing with Rhett is he won't bs you to keep your dog there longer then you need. I also like that he runs a lot of dogs in hunt tests and field trials and is very successful. If a trainer can carry 12 dogs to a hunt test and all or even most of them pass, that shows he knows his stuff. I'm different than a lot of duck hunters in that I want a great family dog but I also want and demand a well trained retriever.
    How did the pup do up north? I heard it was a good trip
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Yes, Rhett is a damn good option as well, but I think the OP was looking for someone closer to home.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

He did great Boozer! 118 ducks in 7 days for 3 people. Did shoot one snow as well.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH