Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a long commute?

Default Tips for a long commute?

I'm going from a 12 minute ride to work to 45-50 minutes. It's all open road with no traffic and only 3 red lights.

Looking for recommendations for a gas saver (or someone who has one for sale). Also curious if anyone has any tips for how to make that time productive. Audio books and phone calls is all I can think of.

Get a Geo Metro and start smoking. Sportin Woodies would be proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

45 minutes ain't a bad drive.

Older Toyota Camry would be my suggestion a car.
    Stay off the phone as much as possible
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Females put on make up, Facebook, text, drink Starbucks, and gossip to other women about shit on their drives anywhere.

Men listen to tunes, think in silence or cuss non driving women out on their drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I drive a Mazda protege. This car was my wife's first car in highscool 01'. Got her through high school, college, and we bought her a new one in 13'. I took it over @ 99k miles and have been driving it since. Was driving 45 minutes one way, but now I'm just 5 miles away. However I still drive it because it only costs me $20 ever 2.5 weeks. Also great for long trips for scouting, meeting folks to buy stuff, etc. I've put several turkeys in the trunck. Side note I've only put 10k miles on my truck in 4 years so win win.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 10-26-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Audible and podcasts (meat eater, joe rogan, hunt dog podcast, etc)

I drive a good bit. Listened to a lot of good books.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Audible and pod casts

USMCSilver surfs the internet on his commute. But he takes the bus. So that might not be applicable to your situation.

Speaking of sporting, where is he?

Recently finished listening to "Wealth of Nations" on audiobook, It will last you a few months.

I had a Ford Fusion as a commuter car back when I commuted from Columbia to Walterboro a few times a week. Buying commuter car isn't also cost effective. It all depends on how fast your current vehicle will depreciated, distance commuting, difference in gas mileage, cost of second vehicle, insurance, along with all the taxes associated. Buying a 5 year old Fusion that got 10 mpg better than my truck ended up being a good investment, but I calculated prior to make sure.Bottom line, unless you are driving a lot and your main vehicle is fairly new... not necessary beneficial to buy second car.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Commuter vehicles... I am just too shallow for that.

If your bladder is like mine, don't start drinking your morning coffee until you leave the house or else you'll be stopping at a hunt club gate to piss!

Toyota Corolla. Francis Chan.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Can’t help with vehicles. You can always find a few podcasts you like. I like Joe Rogan, Tim Ferris, and Jocko Willink. Satellite radio is good. Howard Stern does a great job of interviewing people.

Been driving 45 mins one way for the last 14 years. Did the commuter thing for a while and probably will again when gas prices go back up plus 14 mpg gets old quick. I honestly spend a good bit of my drive at 5am with no radio and just a chance to enjoy the peace and quiet and take some time to pray and talk to the man upstairs.

Sirius xm Howard 100.

Wife is fixin to get rid of her Buick Verono. 32/mpg and maintained to a tee and nothing but interstate. New tires and one owner. Would put it in the trading post but Can't get nobody to take my moneyto re=up. I refuse paypal 84,000/miles
    Last edited by DRDUCK; 10-26-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Wife is fixin to get rid of her Buick Verono. 32/mpg and maintained to a tee and nothing but interstate. New tires and one owner. Would put it in the trading post but Can't get nobody to take my moneyto re=up. I refuse paypal 84,000/miles
    They won't take it cause they don't want you selling anymore ford trucks.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I used to drive a lot, early mornings and late nights. A cup of coffee, NPR and a can of dip. I was always more worried about the drunks when the sun was down than what could hold my attention for the duration of the trip.

I'm here.

On my long commutes I pod cast Perry Noble and snap chat the girls in the Sunday school class I teach.