Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ironman 70.3

Alligator got him

Quote Originally Posted by Highcotton View Post
    Alligator got him
    Damn! Maybe I will say screw it lol. Anyone want to go drink beer?

i did a half in Vegas...the heat got me on the run there. Training wise there are lots of plans out there but I didnt follow any one, had some buddies doing it with me and we just would meet up and do something. Swim actually ends up being one of the easier parts because it is so short, and first. It is very different than pool swimming though, there are not lane lines or anything to follow so you have to lift your head out of the water almost every stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundswat View Post
    get in touch with ACCboykin. hes practically the mayor of the augusta half ironman club. they've got a awesome facebook group.
    I found him on Facebook and he is hooking me up! Super nice guy. He had to put his Boykin to sleep today due to being sick.

Well I'm officially signed up for my first triathlon! Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga in May. Training is coming along good so as long as I can stay injury free it is on!

Good luck! Don't think I could ever do something like that. Fat kids and endurance just don't go hand in hand.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I was 270 pounds in March 2016 and couldn't run a quarter mile. Do you think I thought I would ever attempt something like this? Hell no! Your body is capable of almost anything. It's your mind you have to convince!

If you're concerned about your swim, check out Total Immersion. You can find the videos on YouTube. Distance swimming boils down to technique & being in decent cardio shape. If you're in shape, the 1.2 mile swim should simply be a warm-up by the time you attempt the 1/2 Ironman race. Get in the habit of running after you bike. Every time you get off your bike, lace up the shoes and go run a quick mile or two. This'll help. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateAngler View Post
    If you're concerned about your swim, check out Total Immersion. You can find the videos on YouTube. Distance swimming boils down to technique & being in decent cardio shape. If you're in shape, the 1.2 mile swim should simply be a warm-up by the time you attempt the 1/2 Ironman race. Get in the habit of running after you bike. Every time you get off your bike, lace up the shoes and go run a quick mile or two. This'll help. Good luck.
    Thanks! Swim is coming along nice. I run after 2 of my bike rides per week on average and run as good or better pace off the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by jmjsc View Post
    I was 270 pounds in March 2016 and couldn't run a quarter mile. Do you think I thought I would ever attempt something like this? Hell no! Your body is capable of almost anything. It's your mind you have to convince!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundswat View Post
    get in touch with ACCboykin. hes practically the mayor of the augusta half ironman club. they've got a awesome facebook group.
    Isn't this an oxymoron?

Now this is truly awesome. You're already on house money. Well done, sir, and good luck.

Pro tip: look at the elevation schedule of the course and prepare accordingly. I got my ass handed to me running my first marathon after I had trained hard on flat ground and the course was made out for billy goats.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Pro tip: look at the elevation schedule of the course and prepare accordingly. I got my ass handed to me running my first marathon after I had trained hard on flat ground and the course was made out for billy goats.
    Thanks for the tip!

my bud is 5'9" 245 lbs and has worked a desk job all his life- he quit smoking and took up triathlons 10 years ago because his weight had ballooned up to 280- he has won the masters division a number of times and if you look at him you would swear he couldn't walk around the block twice.
    He said that he didn't worry about speed- just finishing and that after he was able to finish a full race the first time- he had it made mentally and the speed just came with practice. He stays ready by swimming laps every day.

Well I'm officially signed up for my first triathlon! Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga in May. Training is coming along good so as long as I can stay injury free it is on!
    good luck- you can do it. How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    good luck- you can do it. How old are you?

good on you for doing that but for me there's a time to stand and fight before all that!

That's awesome, Congrats! And you could not be more right!