Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother in law's 11 point sick buck

Default Brother in law's 11 point sick buck

My Brother in Law shot a beautiful 11 point buck at our club in St. Matthews at 601 and the river Saturday PM. When he brought it to camp I noticed quiet a few things that were wrong with the deer. First he only weighed 115 pounds and you could easily see his ribs. The deer smelled horrible like it was spoiled. The right front foot was enlarged and had a lot of puss in it. The deer had numerous patches of missing hair and looked almost mangy. Inside the ears was a substance that looked like yellowish foam or waxy particles all the way to the tips of the ears. I have notified Charles Ruth and Jay Cantrell with the DNR in case they wanted a sample of blood but they have not gotten back with me yet. I am not sure if this is EHD or something else. I sure hope this is not something that would spread to other deer. We have not noticed any other problems and have already had a great year with bucks and it is not even November yet.

IMG_0296.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0298.jpgIMG_0303.JPG
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

I would cook that one well done.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I been through St Matthews , wish I could of seen some gals that weigh 115lbs. But still a good set of horns.

Pretty Buck...in the last pic

Great buck. As for the mange, I'm not sure those are scars and wounds from fighting.

But the weight is pretty suspect. So sounds like something was going on.

It’s messed up all the deer and turkeys too in Calhoun county. No need to hunt there.

It isn't unheard of to see a deer with a nice rack have a low body weight. Especially right now.

Nematodes!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Fight wounds and an infection in that leg.

He may be systemically ill but I doubt it's from anything other than normal wear and tear associated with rut activity.

We took it to the local processor to see if he had ever seen anything like it. We had already decided that we would only keep the horns and dispose of the carcass. He advised us to do the same. Trust me, this is not rut activity or fighting. His hair even looked funny and around the wounds looked strange. That is far too much weight to lose from rut activity. We will use another cape to mount it with.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Trust me he says.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Deer aids
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    We took it to the local processor to see if he had ever seen anything like it. We had already decided that we would only keep the horns and dispose of the carcass. He advised us to do the same. Trust me, this is not rut activity or fighting. His hair even looked funny and around the wounds looked strange. That is far too much weight to lose from rut activity. We will use another cape to mount it with.
    You can get a 150 lb doe cape off of the SC Deer Hunters facebook site. They got a lot.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 10-23-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I have seent one like that. If its what I saw, meat smelled so bad once skinned I couldn't put it in the cooler room. Foot infections are not uncommon at all but this deer had something all together wrong. Every deer I weighed this week was around 15lbs light of what they should be. 115 seems way too small for that deer. Make sure they get your cape off a deer between now and mid November. Great buck - congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Trust me he says.
    Never trust a guy that says trust me. Keep an eye on women folk that say have a blessed day too. Trust me on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Snake bite?
    Non Supporting Member

I killed one like that one time.
    Nasty

First I agree with Glen.. I think highly unlikely EHD, possible sepsis resulting from fight injuries. The waxy substance in ears is possibly from a previous or ongoing heavy parasite load such as ticks etc or even in some cases from high density mosquitoes, horseflies etc. Hard to say but either way something ill was going on and probably best to play it safe as your brother did.
    Genesis 9;2

looks like an injury behind the left pedicle.

his toes look fine. not EHD. not rut. 115 sure is small for a normally 175lb deer...

i hate wasting meat but i reckon you gotta sometimes.

neat deer, though. he hasnt been sick long.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

How was the deer acting before he she it ? Did he seem disoriented?
    80-20 Genaration