Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina land conservation Bank

Deleting my original post and defaulting to what MC just said. He's better versed and less snarky than I am.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 10-26-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    The Public Trust Doctrine is what established those grizzly bears and trees as belonging to no one. They are held in trust for you, me and everyone in this as well as future generations. So you first have to separate the notion that a conservation organization is even a possibility for managing our natural resources.

That gets us back to the state and federal governments role in managing that public trust. The Public Trust Doctrine established the states as trustees, except where the Constitution provided for federal oversight. Three clauses in the Constitution address federal oversight: the Commerce Clause, the Property Clause and the Supremacy Clause. So yes, it is part of "the job".
    The public trust doctrine was established so that there was a basic understanding of common shared resources. Bill Gates can't buy the ocean and charge ships who cross it. Labluvr can't claim "his deer" just because it crossed his property and ate out of his corn pile. It's what keeps Yankees from having the cops throw you in jail when you are fishing the waters near their dock. It doesn't give the government the right to own vast swaths of land or give people tax credits for managing their land a certain way.

The state and Feds role in conservation is to make laws that maintain a healthy and productive environment. Making it illegal to dump oil in the marsh would be a good example. Their other role is enforcing those laws. Their role is not to manage stadiums, parks, or duck hunting impoundments.

We need vast swaths of natural habitat. Even nonprofits are beholden to the biggest donors. Collective ownership by the citizenry is the only option. You are spewing idealistic pipedreams. Sports stadiums have no relevance to wildlife conservation.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

As for "owning vast swaths of land" - Look up Article 4, Section 3 of the Constitution. Clause 1 deals with the admission of new states (hence the reason I asked about the history of Yellowstone in relation to the formation of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho). Clause 2 is the Property Clause that deals with the United States owning property. You won't be the first one to want to argue with either or both of those, but the Supreme Court has ruled to uphold those for a long time.

"Tax credits for managing their land a certain way" - are you referring to the conservation easements from earlier?

"The state and feds role in conservation is to make laws that maintain a healthy and productive environment." So should state and federal government have a role in conservation or not?

Hey I get it, you want small government. You want the federal government reduced as much as possible with state government following suit. I don't disagree with that, and I fully agree there are plenty of examples of poor management.

What I don't agree with is dismantling our country and many of the great things about it on the notion that any idealistic model of governance is going to change human nature.

Everybody can live on their own private island of ideals, until there are no more islands. Then we are back to trying to figure out how to live together.

Without a lot of public outcry, this is the last year of the bank.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Stanford got enough for SC we are good now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Deleting my original post and defaulting to what MC just said. He's better versed and less snarky than I am.
    how you think I feel?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Without a lot of public outcry, this is the last year of the bank.
    I've talked to my representation a lot about this subject, of course they're both all for it. It would be ashamed if it was the last year, but I'm pretty hopeful.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-30-2017 at 07:54 AM.

The dems have been in lock step with the bank over the years. There has been some success convincing them the easements have primarily benefitted the wealthy.

^^^^
    That’s absurd.

Compelling arguments were made from the house floor. Several democratic house members were shocked.

Opponents of the bank are using the "wealthy tax credit" argument to generate class envy.

What's absurd?

Compelling arguments were made from the house floor. Several democratic house members were shocked.

Opponents of the bank are using the "wealthy tax credit" argument to generate class envy.

What's absurd?
    The next time they are shocked at the wealthy getting a handout. Rattle off how much money flows through WIC, section 8 housing, heat and energy assistance, etc etc. Then ask them if they are still interested in cutting back on entitlements.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news...ion/vi-AAufokX

This is how you really dumb it down and put it into a very simple nutshell!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 10-31-2017 at 07:27 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

the land bank is not giving tax credits...

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    The next time they are shocked at the wealthy getting a handout. Rattle off how much money flows through WIC, section 8 housing, heat and energy assistance, etc etc. Then ask them if they are still interested in cutting back on entitlements.
    Federal

Where do the feds get their money from?
    Last edited by scatter shot; 10-31-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Federal
    Federally funded and state administered. Either way...Joe taxpayer foots the bill. You get the point.

Not hot off the press news but FYI.....The SC Conservation Bank has been funded for this fiscal year!

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...7406dfc94.html
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It has been funded but has a LOT of political bs thrown in.

Always...