Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: South Carolina land conservation Bank

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Is there another article out there other than the one you posted as the third entry in this thread? If there is I'd like to read it, if not then you are Way off base. According to the article from TheState.com that you posted there wasn't any money "lost", not even "millions of tax payer dollars". Here's what I read from the article you posted.

"The budget required the bank to transfer $3 million to Natural Resources to help match federal grants. But the Conservation Bank already had committed some of the $3 million to a Lowcountry land trust. The Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust had to return $700,000 to the agency that the trust had planned to use for land protection in eastern South Carolina, trust officials said."
    "Conservation Bank board member Mike McShane and other bank officials said there was initial confusion with budget changes that affected the Conservation Bank. McShane said Davant made a mistake, but the matter was corrected quickly.

“It was a numbers glitch and it’s all worked out,’’ McShane said. “DNR has their money.’’"

So according to the article that You posted, the conservation bank, while briefly confused over initial budget changes, sent 700,000 to a Conservation trust that was supposed to go to DNR along with another 2,300,000. So the conservation bank, after realizing their mistake, called the 700,000 back and the full 3,000,000 was sent to DNR. I know I'm probably biased because I met Mr. Davant once at a duck camp, where I was a guest, and stayed up drinking brown liquor trying to solve the worlds problems with him and some friends. But I'll say this, He may in fact be a "fuckstick" , however the very short time that I got to spend with him I did not get that opinion. I got the opinion that he was doing this job, not for the money because he is past the age of retirement, but because he wanted to make a difference and help save valuable habitat in our state. My guess is he resigned because he is tired of dealing with all the bullshit that comes with the position and dealing with lifetime politicians like Hugh Leatherman. Who by the way is 86 years old and has been in the Senate for 36 years, from my town, and I believe he should have retired after his last term.
    This is how I read it. I'm not in favor of welfare for the wealth. But who would own large tract of land worth conservation funds?

Here is what I have come to understand from this thread:
    1.)Banks only put large tracts of land under CEs.
    2.)It appears that rich people own these tracts of land.
    3.)I should be butt hurt bc a state agency is allowing these Rockefeller types to get tax benefits and I can’t even use the property.
    4.)Only tracts that have a high value, plantations (again with those aristocrats), should be getting CEs bc they are the only tracts in danger of being developed.
    5.)Farm land, timber land, large acreage tracts, etc that are not on the coast or near any immediate develop do not need CEs bc they won’t be developed. Ever.

Did I miss anything?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

ok. show me all the facts you spewed and how you spin it. where is the misappropriated millions of your tax dollars?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

An accountant can make things look good or bad.

I have known Marvin a very long time and consider him a friend, not a close friend, but a good friend. I have hunted with him and been involved with him at DU, NWTF, QDMA and other conservation organization banquets and meetings. He took this job after retiring from the tax commission. I believe that he truly believes in conservation and wants to help the future of hunting. I do not fully understand all of what is going on here and can tell that most also do not. I believe from what I have read that he got fed up with the "politics" and decided to move on. He recently also lost his two closest friends and hunting buddies that I also knew as friends--Bob Murphy and Jack Boggs.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

I can guarantee you the beaurocratic and political BS that Marvin had to put up with running the conservation bank was unfathomable!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I thought you liked shooting doves.
    I do, but no one ever invites me. I guess I should take the hint...

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Do we need to do the same if we voice opposition to Obama phones, subsidized housing, food stamps, and all the other wasteful government handouts? Or are those different?
    It's all good. I just checked the debt clock. We're only at $169,251 per taxpayer. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    I have known Marvin a very long time and consider him a friend, not a close friend, but a good friend. I have hunted with him and been involved with him at DU, NWTF, QDMA and other conservation organization banquets and meetings. He took this job after retiring from the tax commission. I believe that he truly believes in conservation and wants to help the future of hunting. I do not fully understand all of what is going on here and can tell that most also do not. I believe from what I have read that he got fed up with the "politics" and decided to move on. He recently also lost his two closest friends and hunting buddies that I also knew as friends--Bob Murphy and Jack Boggs.
    amen rooster

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Excellent post Rooster! A couple of comments - the Land Bank has had projects in 45 of the 46 counties! Most states have banks with huge budgets in comparison to SC . His ability to get matching funds from both private and public sources has made it the envy of Conservation banks across the nation! I only hope they can find a person with just half of the dedication and commitment that Marvin has put forth!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Only 1 duck pond owner???? They must not have done a thorough audit. Just about all the ponds in Rimini area have CE on them.

What happens to these CE's if the conservation bank is "shut down". What is the outcome of the land that these CE's encompass? I personally like the idea of CE's but have always wondered if there was a "catch 22" in a case such as this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    What happens to these CE's if the conservation bank is "shut down". What is the outcome of the land that these CE's encompass? I personally like the idea of CE's but have always wondered if there was a "catch 22" in a case such as this?
    Nothing......It only means future "purchased easements" will not occur unless funding is derived elsewhere.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Only 1 duck pond owner???? They must not have done a thorough audit. Just about all the ponds in Rimini area have CE on them.
    just bc it has an easement doesnt mean the SC land bank bought it...

lots of other options out there.

and I'm still waiting on jws to answer me and show me all the bad stuff the media talked about in the headlines.

the only thing i took from this thread is that this misplacement of funds, truly, could not have happened to a nicer guy
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and I'm still waiting on jws to answer me and show me all the bad stuff the media talked about in the headlines.
    He must have finally taken the time to read more than just the headlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

thank you, sir

this is how the media attempts to sell papers with headlines. The uninformed masses think they are "informed" because they read the headlines. As it turns out, very few of us understand the political process involved or how much time and effort it takes to FIND this money in the budget to use for this purpose. Certain individuals on this web site become part of the mob trying to lynch the guy for "wasting their tax money" but they actually have zero fucking clue how their tax money was SAVED to be spent on conserving land. Dont get me started on the "rich people own land" BS. I've said it once and I'll say it again--make good choices when it comes to expenses and you can save money and buy your own damn land.

I don’t just want the dam land. I want the dam land, the pond it creates and everything around it.

I mean what am I supposed to do with just a dam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post rooster and Ned, 2th and Scott.