Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niger Attack

Default Niger Attack

The last sentence in this piece is everything you need to know.

"For personnel recovery, Africa Command relies heavily on contract search and rescue assets due to lack of dedicated assets to support operations,” Waldhauser said. “Furthermore, African partners lack the capability and capacity to assist with personnel recovery missions.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-f...019-story.html

My level of surprise is exactly zero.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

"For months before the ambush, the U.S. military had requested more drones or other surveillance aircraft in Niger and additional military medical support, but those requests met resistance from the U.S. ambassador to the country, who was reluctant to increase the American presence in the country, according to a U.S. official briefed on the attack."

What? The military follows the directives of the ambassador? I would think it would be the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    "For months before the ambush, the U.S. military had requested more drones or other surveillance aircraft in Niger and additional military medical support, but those requests met resistance from the U.S. ambassador to the country, who was reluctant to increase the American presence in the country, according to a U.S. official briefed on the attack."

What? The military follows the directives of the ambassador? I would think it would be the opposite.
    Dept of state usually runs the show so the ambassador is in charge in places like Niger.

I know much isn't asked of the membership here but we will maintain some level of respect and decorum while discussing the deaths of American soldiers.

You want to walk up to the racial line and spit across it then do it in another thread and I'll ban you there.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-20-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Sounds like, from what I've heard, the ISIS group was tipped off and those folks ran their meeting long on purpose. They said the team was hit by as many as 50-60 in two waves. Terrible situation.

The politicizing of it is what chaps my ass. Show those men the respect they deserve from both sides and quit the petty grandstanding.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

The politicizing of it is what chaps my ass. Show those men the respect they deserve from both sides and quit the petty grandstanding.
    It's absolutely pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Sounds like, from what I've heard, the ISIS group was tipped off and those folks ran their meeting long on purpose. They said the team was hit by as many as 50-60 in two waves. Terrible situation.

Unfortunately with the way Gowdy would not let Bengazi go, what do we expect. It was disrespectful them, it is disrespectful now.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I knew one of the men killed. Not closely but we have worked together in the past. Shit happens. Stop making it out to be more than what it is. Every day we requested more or better assets and got denied. Simply put there aren't enough to go around. I promise you this wasn't the first time he was ambushed and he knew the the steaks. Lived a good life and was a hell of a soldier. Had he lived I promise you he wouldn't be bitching about the situation or circumstances. It's a fucking shame that a man can no longer die honorably without it being made political.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

INDEED.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Unfortunately with the way Gowdy would not let Bengazi go, what do we expect. It was disrespectful them, it is disrespectful now.
    Got to call bull on this one. People have always debated why we were involved in a conflict what went wrong when us troops are killed. And there is a time and place for that.

But that's not what is happening here. The president took the time to call and express his condolences. Now he is being criticized over the words he used and the lose of a life is being politicized at a time when the family should be greiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I knew one of the men killed. Not closely but we have worked together in the past. Shit happens. Stop making it out to be more than what it is. Every day we requested more or better assets and got denied. Simply put there aren't enough to go around. I promise you this wasn't the first time he was ambushed and he knew the the steaks. Lived a good life and was a hell of a soldier. Had he lived I promise you he wouldn't be bitching about the situation or circumstances. It's a fucking shame that a man can no longer die honorably without it being made political.
    This is the exact thought that I had. It was ambush. Tragic, but it is what it is. Every once in a while, the enemy will get one up on you and bad things will happen. I'm glad we have guys like this willing to take the risks they do.

Listening to the news and the talking heads all worked up, wondering "how this happened" and "how the one soldier got separated from the rest", all I could think of is "fog of war". You'd think this was the first time a soldier got separated from his unit in a firefight. I'm glad the French were there to get them the support they need. I wonder if we'll get the assets they requested now.

Africa is well on it's way to being the next focus point. ISIS, Al Shabaab, Al Qaeda, all have a rich environment in which to grow.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 10-21-2017 at 05:50 AM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Politicians as a general rule, not all of them though, just very few are POS. On the national stage this is exacerbated 10 fold. They're all looking for their 15 minutes of fame and seeing their names in the headlines. And most, not all, could give a damn if it's off the backs of the dead sent to places no one would ever really want to go.

The only time that Congresswoman has ever given a shit about that fallen soldier was when she figured she could use it to further her career. One can hope that some form of retribution/karma is in her near future.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm just tired of all of this grandstanding, name calling, finger pointing, and spinning up conspiracies out of thin air. It's sickening. No one is without fault here. It will probably turn into a situation where intel didn't call for certain resources and logistics. (Go figure). If I were Trumps best friend I wouldn't have let him make the phone call. On top of that, as CiC, he's got to be the one to take the high road and put this type of fire out, not pour gasoline on it. I begin to worry about his mental competency more and more.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

I mean, really. He spends so much time and energy in catfights of his own making that he doesn't have time for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    I'm just tired of all of this grandstanding, name calling, finger pointing, and spinning up conspiracies out of thin air. It's sickening. No one is without fault here. It will probably turn into a situation where intel didn't call for certain resources and logistics. (Go figure). If I were Trumps best friend I wouldn't have let him make the phone call. On top of that, as CiC, he's got to be the one to take the high road and put this type of fire out, not pour gasoline on it. I begin to worry about his mental competency more and more.
    I am not a Trump fan. But he was 100% right in this particular case. She twisted his words and took them so far out of context that what she said was a total lie. If I was President Trump and some idiot lied through her teeth about such a serious matter, I would have called her crazy ass out too. The way she disrespected General Kelly was a flat out disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by scbulldog View Post
    I am not a Trump fan. But he was 100% right in this particular case. She twisted his words and took them so far out of context that what she said was a total lie. If I was President Trump and some idiot lied through her teeth about such a serious matter, I would have called her crazy ass out too. The way she disrespected General Kelly was a flat out disgrace.
    Brother, I initially thought the same thing at first until I listened and read the transcript. There was never a denial of what Trump said, but rather a defense of what his intent was. I have no problem with that but don't send Kelly to speak for you after you lash out at the two previous presidents. There was a grieving widow and family who received his message in a bad way. At that point, it is time to be the President and end it all right then and there. But no, he has to continue to talk about how he did a great job on his phone calls, lets Kelly stand up for him, and now we find out that the accusations that Kelly leveled at her were inaccurate. Quite honestly, I think Kelly was fed that information and left with egg on his face while the White House remains silent and won't refute anything. Don't get me wrong, the congresswoman handled it extremely poorly but jumped on it just like Benghazi. Meanwhile Trump has shifted to talking about tax reforms without blinking an eye. I feel sorry for any staff member whose last name isn't Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it to 2020.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

no reason to go all crazy...

Trump went against advice given and contacted the families of the deceased. that was an honorable gesture, imo. a phone tapper and a family member took the discussions of those calls and twisted our president's words and inflections to benefit their own agenda. shame on them.

just remember: while this discussion is going on, there are other (more relevant) things happening in the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    no reason to go all crazy...

Trump went against advice given and contacted the families of the deceased. that was an honorable gesture, imo. a phone tapper and a family member took the discussions of those calls and twisted our president's words and inflections to benefit their own agenda. shame on them.

just remember: while this discussion is going on, there are other (more relevant) things happening in the other hand...
    You may be right. I'd be lying to say it doesn't chap my ass. He plays this country like he did in business. Divide and conquer. We do have bigger problems and he doesn't seem to be fully invested. There may be bombshell dropped very soon, and if it comes out, we'll see his true character. Bank on it.

Divide and Conquer?

What exactly was it when the congresswoman said the white house was full of white supremacists and claimed that "empty Barrell" was a racist term.

There is plenty of division but you can't blame Trump for creating that.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 10-22-2017 at 09:01 PM.