Thread: Cartridge choice

Default Cartridge choice

I have a proof research steel barrel that is a 1:8 twist in .284.

It will be finished out at 28” threaded 5/8x24 throated for the 195s.

I am a huge fan of the 7mm rem mag. I kinda wanna do something different. I don’t want a 28 nosler either.

What do y’all suggest? Open to all cartridges based on a long action.

This will be a LR and ELR rig.

Lots to be said for the 7mmRM. Tons of load data, flat shooting, relatively mild recoil, accurate, extended range etc. I'm not a fan of all these one off's and "newer/better" cartridges. Look how many come out that people get a boner about only to find ammo scarce or components to load your own scarce and expensive after a few years.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 10-18-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Lots to be said for the 7mmRM. Tons of load data, flat shooting, relatively mild recoil, accurate, extended range etc. I'm not a fan of all these one off's and "newer/better" cartridges. Look how many come out that people get a boner about only to find ammo scarce or components to load your own scarce and expensive after a few years.
    I have a 7rm now. I have had several.

Kinda wanna do something different.

7mm STW.
    Never had one but throwing it out there

I do too but, then I bought the Sako 85 Finn Bear, the others stay put up now. Damn that gun shoots good.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Huge STW fan, simply because I own one and have tinkered with it extensively. Never messed with the 195s, but mine (700 action benchmark barrel) spits 140 and 168 vlds extremely well. I like being the only STW at the hunt club, but brass is high. I'm paying $70 per 25 for nosler.

7LRM
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    7LRM
    Have you had any experience with one?

Speeds seem to be similar to the 7-300.

I like the idea of no belt.

I have a reamer on order.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I have a custom 7 mag sendero and a 7 Rum. I prefer the 7Rum.

7 rums glory days have sailed. 28 nosler is superior and not nearly as finicky to load for

7 Hart.

I have 28 Nosler. I got it in a Christensen. It shoots great. I also have a Cooper LR in the 26 Nosler.

280 AI. standard 30- 06 / 270 bolt face and box mags. You've already got a 7 RM and dont want the nosler so I'm figuring youre looking for something a little milder and more efficient? Just my 2 ¢
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Nothing finicky about pounding heavies in the Rum ... But I would also opt for 7LRM , just buy the brass in advance from Gunwerks and don't overwork it
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Nothing finicky about pounding heavies in the Rum ... But I would also opt for 7LRM , just buy the brass in advance from Gunwerks and don't overwork it
    That made me laugh

Carry on

7/300WSM would really shine in that 28" tube.

And in a short action, lovely but not much value found over a 7 saum ..150 fps maybe with another 8-10 water mls..

If your gonna push, push it hard RUM or LRM.. 195s were designed for knocking the warm fuzzies out of kilter at range. Run em.
    Genesis 9;2

Sick rad boowit lingo.

I like it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I'd go 22lr