Thread: Mangroves

Default Mangroves

Does anybody think they will actually become a sustainable fishery here?

Most of the ones I've seen caught are not much bigger than a good bream, but they seem to be everywhere from the Cooper down to Port Royal.

I'm pulling for em.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I know some boys that have caught a bunch of them this year. Inshore, Nearshore out to 90ft.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I have only caught them in FL. They are delicious. Cool fish, I hope they increase their range.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

There has been a good many of them caught this year from around Savannah down too Darien area. All of them about that same size.
    Last edited by ChickenFlip; 10-17-2017 at 08:24 AM.

I've caught 3 this year in Edisto. Not eatin size though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems to be standard size for SC

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My daughter caught one about that size at the saltwater dividing line on the Cooper.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    This seems to be standard size for SC

Dang....that's the biggest one I've ever seen! All the ones I've caught here have been like 6 - 7 inches long.

Id take about a dozen of those scaled up fried whole with a side of fries and slaw!
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 10-17-2017 at 08:58 AM.

I caught one that size at Edisto a few months back. Talked to a guide and his numbers were in the 20s for the year. I'd like to catch a bigger one.

Couldn't get away from them in the harbor a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I'd like to catch a bigger one.
    Don't kill the smaller ones then.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I let it go to terrorize someone else's mudminnows. It was under the 12" minimum, or at least I think I remember seeing that in print.

Saltwater bream
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Saltwater bream
    Thought those were ringtails. Minus being edible though some try to make them that way.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I let it go to terrorize someone else's mudminnows. It was under the 12" minimum, or at least I think I remember seeing that in print.
    Shit....if it's big enough to fry up whole throw him in the cooler. Ain't no size on mangrove snapper up here. Been catching them for years here fishing for spots, whiting, and croaker. They obviously leave the marsh once they get hand size.