Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Springer Spaniel

Default English Springer Spaniel

Ok...so, I think I want my next dog to be a Springer. All I will expect from this dog is to be a good family pet and pick up doves on occasion. Will a Springer be a good choice or should I look into another breed??
    If you have had/raised/trained a Springer and have any input, please add it.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Good buddy of mine has a Field Bred Springer Spaniel and she is one of, if not the best dove dogs I've been around.

Incredible pet too
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

We HAD one. I hated that dog. Very temperamental,would bite the shit out of you if you were in her space.

We are on our 2nd one and she is the best dog we've ever had, and we didn't thing we'd ever have a dog we liked as much as the first. She isn't a hunter but is the absolute best family dog we've ever owned. Raybird has a Springer that's a hell of a hunting dog.

John Rouse at Appalachian Kennels in Hazard, KY is your man.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

We bred and hunted Springers, Elhews, GSPs and Labs years ago. That being said, and knowing what the last 10 years of having a Boykin has brought us- I would choose a Boykin over a Springer. Lab over Boykin for a few reasons, but Boykins are super cool dogs.

There are good and bad dogs in every breed, but finding a truly great Field Springer is going to send you far and wide.. JMHO.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Never owned a Springer but I've been around a few good ones. If you haven't already I'd consider a Filed bred English cocker as well as a boykin.

The English Cockers that I have seen have hair that is too long. I just ain't gonna brush a dog that often. As for Boykins, if I could get a snapshot into the future to see what the puppy would look like as an adult, I might consider a Boykin. But, some of them are really ugly when grown, IMO. Especially the ones that have really light colored skin around their eyeballs. Those just look creepy. On the other hand, I have seen grown Boykins that are absolutely beautiful.

Dogs with white are hard to hide in a dove field or duck blind. I'm not fond of owning long haired dogs. Besides shedding, hair can haul a lot of messiness into the truck and house.

Once a month to a groomer for a shaving is what our LBD gets until October- March. They are awesome dogs. Some good guys on this site breeding them. If you want to go outside the local gene pool, there is a great breeder in GA .... just sayin. He is a member here too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Once a month to a groomer for a shaving is what our LBD gets until October- March. They are awesome dogs. Some good guys on this site breeding them. If you want to go outside the local gene pool, there is a great breeder in GA .... just sayin. He is a member here too.
    LBD??

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    The English Cockers that I have seen have hair that is too long. I just ain't gonna brush a dog that often. As for Boykins, if I could get a snapshot into the future to see what the puppy would look like as an adult, I might consider a Boykin. But, some of them are really ugly when grown, IMO. Especially the ones that have really light colored skin around their eyeballs. Those just look creepy. On the other hand, I have seen grown Boykins that are absolutely beautiful.
    You are in luck. Happen to have 2 males left for sale. See my ad. You will be very happy......
    Home Of :

HRCH HR SHR Sunstar's Gigi The Boss's Daughter MH

Sunstar's Lookout 4 Miz Azie
    Sunstar's The Pro-Zak Attack

WWW.sunstarsduckdogs.com

Myself and 2 dove hunting buddies hunt English cocker spaniels. Very pleased with hunting ability and lap dog after the hunt.
    Groom every couple months. Her hair is not as long as most Boykin's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBD = Little Brown Dog (Boykin)
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

image.jpg

I 2nd the Boykin.

One of my buddies guides quail for a living and swears by English cockers. I am a lab man. I'll admit his cockers can school my labs on a dove field. Ducks wise it's not even close and the labs dominate. Labs also seem a lot less temperature sensitive even in heat.

Also like to add that a man who will own a Boykin may not be a fagot be at a minimum he has felt the heat off a cock close to his face
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I've had several Spaniels. We have our 2nd Springer now. She's extremely calm and an excellent pet. I never had much time to train/work with her (3 kids), but as far as a family dog, she's all we could ask for. Loves kids, barks a little at random people, etc. Our 1st ESS was a hunter and had all her commands down pat. One thing about Springers is they are very loyal and demand to be near you all the time, in my experience. Our first ESS had a litter of 8 a couple years ago and 3 went to SCDuck homes. I keep up with them and they are all very happy with the way they turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I would go English Cocker and buy clippers, great dogs.

Don't leave out a French Brittany, has been a great dog so far and it's not a Boykin so you don't have to listen to griffin talking about you being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Don't leave out a French Brittany, has been a great dog so far and it's not a Boykin so you don't have to listen to griffin talking about you being gay.
    That is actually a breed that I am also considering. I really like the brown roan coat that some of the French Brittanys have.
    Last edited by MKW; 10-16-2017 at 09:29 PM.

I'll never forget a friend's English cocker long retreiving canadian geese. That dog was impressive!