Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass bedding a rifles forearm

Default Glass bedding a rifles forearm

So, I ended up buying a used rifle that was more along the lines of what I wanted. The guy tells me, I paid XXXX gun shop $150 to bed the action. Okay. Well, I hated the trigger and ordered a Timney. When I removed the action to install it I found that it was already glass bedded at the factory and what the gun shop did was bed the forearm and free float it, which it already was from the factory. Was there any reason to do that, being that you want it free floating, or did they just take his money? I could see it maybe to stiffen it up but it was a B&C stock, so no. All I see it did was add more weight. Awaiting answers from the brain trust.
    Last edited by Bownut; 10-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Post a picture but sounds like they may have recontoured the forearm area. I only bed to about one inch past the recoil lug and use a tape dam to prevent going into the forearm area.
    Genesis 9;2

How did they bed a forearm then free float it? That makes zero sense. Like Strick9 said, bed to no more than 1-1.5" depending on the gun in front of the recoil lug. Also, most B&C's have a bedding block, glass bedding does little to no good when the action is properly torqued into the stock.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Ok, it's a 700 mountain rifle from the factory with a B&C stock. It has the little square thing that you can do something with your phone pressed into the action bedding, just like on the receiver, so that's from the factory. What they did, and you can plainly see it, is pour their bedding material into the forearm, from the tip to the recoil lug, then contour it back out until the barrel was free floating again. I don't see the benefit and think they just took his money.

If they ripped him off, I think he should know, so he would be better informed if he decides to send them more work.
    Last edited by Bownut; 10-09-2017 at 08:42 PM.

A lot of the OEM B&C stocks did not have the full length chassis. If that's the case they may have been trying to stiffen the forearm area of the stock. It's a common practice. You freefloat the barrel by removing material from forend then use vinyl pipe wrap on the barrel to freefloat. Same way you bed a wood stock. Full length bedding doesn't hurt a thing, it's just overkill on a high end stock, which a B&C isn't. I'd do a little homework before I assumed they ripped him off.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-10-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Assuming they ripped him off is ignorant. I'd do a little homework first.
    That's why I'm asking and that's what I'm doing. His word were they bedded the action. I said maybe they were trying to stiffen the forearm. I've had dealings with them before and they won't be doing any more work for me.

Unless this was Remington Custom shop gun, they didn't bed it at the factory. You sure gunshop didn't bed everything?

I will get a picture when I get home, but this (see picture below, some sort of barcode) is what is on the side of the receiver and in the action bedding, which after doing some research is used to keep up with inventory and such and has the firearms info like serial number and such in it. It is not on the bottom of the receiver so it couldn't have been "imprinted" into the bedding when it was done which tells me it's from the factory. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if the guy thought he was getting one thing and they did another after discovering the action was already done, then he should know.

images6WERA8KU.png
    Last edited by Bownut; 10-10-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Understood. Is the stock kind of a Grey/ green color?

FLS is likely correct in that if they did it the way you describe it was potentially in efforts to stiffen forearm *depends on stock*, would have been better to just buy another stock. Post that picture when ya get a second.
    Genesis 9;2

O.k., Upon further inspection, and with my glasses, it appears they may have put some under the action, which after looking closer now is solid aluminum. If any, it's very thin, but I still didn't understand the forearm deal (to pour it in and then rough it back out).
    Looking down on it I see this, which looks to be factory since it has the square thing in it. However, after looking at the bottom of the action there is one under it, that more obviously was pressed into it.
    IMG_1093.jpg
    I still didn't understand the benefit of doing this. Maybe now.
    IMG_1088.jpg IMG_1091.jpg
    With solid aluminum bedding like this, what would be the benefit of pouring it here. It's so thin you can almost see thru it. Filling minute gaps and such?
    IMG_1095.jpg
    Last edited by Bownut; 10-11-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Corrects variations from action to action even with a chassis Most of the better rifle builders bed everything, chassis or not. Hard to tell from pics, did they use clear epoxy?
    Last edited by FLS; 10-11-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Skim bedding is what it looks like.

That fore arm isn't beaded. That's factory
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I don't think so, cause when they roughed it out they got a little crazy.

IMG_1090.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    This. Looks like the factory Medalist stock IMO.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm on phone and can't be sure from pics, that's why I asked about clear epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I'm on phone and can't be sure from pics, that's why I asked about clear epoxy?
    No, whatever it is, is black.

Skim coat over the aluminum bedding block. Just becasue it is aluminum block does not mean is is perfect. Skimming it will mate the surfaces more precisely.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    I don't think so, cause when they roughed it out they got a little crazy.

IMG_1090.jpg
    That's where the tech at B&C got a little crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    This. Looks like the factory Medalist stock IMO.
    Yup. Exactly like every one I have seen
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.