Thread: Gypsy Soul

Default Gypsy Soul

So I did a little horse trading today, I'm kind of excited about the rifle it's a 6.5 Grendel. So all of you gurus, be prepared for a litany of new questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not guru. But I'm glad you didn't get a horse.

You might want to move that rear sight back.

Yeah, the whole sight set-up is the first thing I need to figure out.

For example, this will be kind of a do-all rifle for me, so I'd like to have something with some magnification that I can attach for long range stuff and hunting. Any advice on quick release mounts and how well they will maintain zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    For example, this will be kind of a do-all rifle for me, so I'd like to have something with some magnification that I can attach for long range stuff and hunting. Any advice on quick release mounts and how well they will maintain zero?
    Talley makes some good ones. Some more knowledgeable gun fellas might have some more options.

LaRue makes really good ones. I swap between a magnified scope and a dot and it surprises me how well it maintains zero.

Congrats. The Grendel is about as much performance as you can get out of an AR-15. The Hornady Black ammo performs well out of every Grendel we've tried it in. It performs well on game and targets.

He traded a low end savage rifle and sig's least expensive pistol for a 6.5 ar and a glock. I say good trade. Rear sight goes in front of the charging handle.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    He traded a low end savage rifle and sig's least expensive pistol for a 6.5 ar and a glock. I say good trade. Rear sight goes in front of the charging handle.
    Thanks, yeah, I've already moved it. He also had the bipod on backwards, which I'll probably only put on at the range. In fairness, I got the Gen 5 with blue label for $398, so that made it easier. I wish I had known about the black ammo, I had a box in my hand yesterday, but got the impression it was more for target and was holding out for the sst.

So I'm thinking short term, I will put a traditional 2.5-10 X that I have on it with fixed mounts, and I have a set of the 45 degree iron sights for plinking and close up. This should get me through deer season, then I can re-visit the idea of swapping optics via quick release. Damn they are proud of those mounts.