Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time or Weather?

Wind maters. Beyond that it's time in the stand
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I love the BLR Highstrung. .30-06?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

HS. What caliber is the BLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I love the BLR Highstrung. .30-06?
    Thank you, it is a 30-06

I had 6 food plots to choose from today with a ladder stand on each. I chose the one that had the wind in my face walking to it and while sitting in the stand. Cant always have it like that but when I can, I try to do as such. But I go when I can go.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-12-2017 at 09:35 PM.

With work and other commitments, I don't get to go as much as I like. So, I go when I can. I hunt the wind, more so if I'm in a low (16 foot or less) fixed stand, less so if I'm climbing and get up a good ways. But I prefer to hunt cooler weather, and will make a strong effort to hunt bitter cold mornings if I can get over a fresh to 2 year old cutover that the sun will hit early.

Also a big fan of a comfortable stand that allows me to sit longer.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

If you're just trying to kill any buck, go whenever you can. If you're trying to kill a particular buck, it's all about conditions IMO. I think you'll have more success hunting a wind that's favorable for him. The hard part is figuring out how to still hunt him without him busting you. It's fairly easy with a rifle. With a bow, not so much. Except for when he's hot on a doe, he likely won't move when the wind has him at a disadvantage. You ever had one that showed up on camera on days you weren't there? That may be because you were hunting on days where the wind was in your favor and he knew it.
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 10-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    If you're just trying to kill any buck, go whenever you can. If you're trying to kill a particular buck, it's all about conditions IMO. I think you'll have more success hunting a wind that's favorable for him. The hard part is figuring out how to still hunt him without him busting you. It's fairly easy with a rifle. With a bow, not so much. Except for when he's hot on a doe, he likely won't move when the wind has him at a disadvantage. You ever had one that showed up on camera on days you weren't there? That may be because you were hunting on days where the wind was in your favor and he knew it.
    This had to be what happened to me last year hunting a big 8 point. I waited on the right wind and he never would come in but the days in between where the wind blew straight towards his bed he was on camera several times throughout the day

Hunt when you can, regardless.

Get aggressive when the conditions let you.

I believe it’s the right time in the stand.
    My three biggest have all been killed coming to calls. My two biggest with the bow, one was killed in the first sit after finding him, the other was on a pattern, hunted twice and saw him both times, and moved stand after both of those hunts, third hunt killed him. For every one of those the baro pressure was perfect and wind was right( and I don’t mean in your face, etc, it needs to be right for both of you).
    I’m a big fan of rattling, grunting and now bleating. There are three keys when it comes to rattling, setup, making a ton of racket and a fresh set of antlers. Last years antlers sound nothing like a fresh pair. You should be worn out when you get done with a sequence.

I’m not a big fan of scents but they have saved me a few times. He may come running in but usually he will be trying to get downwind at the same time, have a scent wick to give him what he’s looking for on his circle and keep him from busting you. This worked out perfectly for me last night and will definitely be doing it again. Like everything else it has a time and a place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I really have been surprised by the number of good bucks being killed in this heat

Buckpro,the rattling ,when is good times to do this ,i call some in with calls never with the horns

I love rattling. I'll usually hit the grunt call first, then hit horns hard for 90 seconds or so. It's worked best for me in the morning hunts. I rattled in a grown one last year to ten steps from my tree. I couldn't get a shot and walked him walk out of my life forever. When you do hit the horns, get ready as soon as you stop cause at least from my experiences, they come in fast.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by ffr View Post
    Buckpro,the rattling ,when is good times to do this ,i call some in with calls never with the horns
    Its been pretty consistent the last few years that between the 15th and the 30th is as good as it gets, at least where i'm at. Grunts etc have worked best before that.

If I don’t get a response after the first set, I do it again 5 or so minutes later, I have killed quite a few running into the second set. Just be ready. Half the time a shotgun is better than a rifle, it’s been dang near self defense before. If you hear a buck coming, do not stop rattling.
    I say again, USE FRESH HORNS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I believe it’s the right time in the stand.
    My three biggest have all been killed coming to calls. My two biggest with the bow, one was killed in the first sit after finding him, the other was on a pattern, hunted twice and saw him both times, and moved stand after both of those hunts, third hunt killed him. For every one of those the baro pressure was perfect and wind was right( and I don’t mean in your face, etc, it needs to be right for both of you).
    I’m a big fan of rattling, grunting and now bleating. There are three keys when it comes to rattling, setup, making a ton of racket and a fresh set of antlers. Last years antlers sound nothing like a fresh pair. You should be worn out when you get done with a sequence.

I’m not a big fan of scents but they have saved me a few times. He may come running in but usually he will be trying to get downwind at the same time, have a scent wick to give him what he’s looking for on his circle and keep him from busting you. This worked out perfectly for me last night and will definitely be doing it again. Like everything else it has a time and a place.
    Good stuff. And I think "the right conditions" matter much more with a bow. I'd love to pick your brain and compare notes on rattling. I've rattled some deer in, but never rattled one in while bowhunting in this state. I'm assuming they're circling me and I've not committed enough time to putting it all together. The "fresh horns" is intriguing to me. I'd assume they wouldn't pay that much attention to the tone of the noise, but obviously I assume wrong. I've also been told to take old horns and soak them in a bucket of water to "deepen" the tone of the sound they make.

Rattling doesn't work. Until it does...

I rattled in a "6x6" in Montana when I was a kid in high school. I was sitting down and because of it the bastard lived. He came in quick, violent and looking to throw down. I never rattle sitting anymore.
    Last edited by led0321; 10-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.

I'm a working man, so I hunt and fish when I can most of the time regardless of the weather. The best hunter and fisherman I know hunts and fishes the moon only. Doesn't care about any other factors. Always kills big deer and always catches a cooler full of fish.