Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time or Weather?

Default Time or Weather?

I was talking to my Uncle the other day. We got the subject of big buck killing. He has killed a bunch of them, so I listen when he speaks. He said the he would rather hunt 10 or 15 times a year. With cold temperatures and the correct wind than 30 or 40 times just to be in the stand. So is it time in the stand or the right time in the stand? Specifically hunting a big buck.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Need a full moon and a flashlight lol. Jk Good question
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Cant kill them at the house and there aint a deer in this world that beds all day long.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 10-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.

You sure as shit won't kill em when you ain't there. I won't hunt anywhere with the wrong wind though.

A good buck is only gonna show himself a handful of times in daylight each season. You gotta be there one of those times. Deer don't concern themselves with the temps as much as we do. They still gotta move to eat and breed. IMO the simple answer is seat time. Nothing can replace it.

Hunting the wind should be an obvious one

Weather
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

I have held onto what an older fella told me one time.

If you don't hunt when it's too cold, too hot, too windy, might rain, the wrong moon, etc. then you don't hunt very much.

I get pulled in enough directions with work and the kids. I hunt when I get the chance. But I agree with you on the wind. I will use the wind to determine which stand I hunt.

So with the wind.... You buy all this cover sent,wash clothes in it, etc. Then you add in doe piss,mock scrape maker whatever. How do you hunt the wind then? And if a buck is hanging in that area what's your plan??
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

A couple of years ago I was riding up to the club with Dad for a morning sit. He mentioned something, almost casually, that he was going to hunt a perpendicular wind suggesting that bucks were just starting to walk crosswind smelling for does rather than walking straight into the wind to avoid predators. About an hour and a half later I was helping him drag an 8-point out of the woods.

Dad thinks deer but doesn't always talk deer. That morning I listened. Now, if I could just get tuned into whatever clued him that the bucks had just changed strategies...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Lots of aspects to consider here. A buck is much more likely to show himself when less pressured. So if you're the only gun in town and aren't worried about someone else killing your deer then go when the weather is good. If you have 6 other people hunting your shit and educating the hell out of them running cameras blah blah better go a lot

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I was talking to my Uncle the other day. We got the subject of big buck killing. He has killed a bunch of them, so I listen when he speaks. He said the he would rather hunt 10 or 15 times a year. With cold temperatures and the correct wind than 30 or 40 times just to be in the stand. So is it time in the stand or the right time in the stand? Specifically hunting a big buck.
    He sounds like a smart dude IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think what it all boils down to is just like ducks....you gotta be where he wants to be on the day and time he wants to be there. Whether it be bc of food, wind direction or hot pussy doesn't matter why. You just gotta be there. I think by only hunting during "ideal" conditions is really limiting yourself. Hell how many nice bucks have we seen hit the ground in the last two weeks and its been 100 degrees!!
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 10-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.

[QUOTE=SCWOODROW;2394452]I personally think what it all boils down to is just like ducks....you gotta be where he wants to be on the day and time he wants to be there.TE]

You sir are a fucking genius. Thanks for sharing that lil nugget.
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 10-12-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Reads almost like you wrote it..

[QUOTE=Cottontop74;2394466]
    Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I personally think what it all boils down to is just like ducks....you gotta be where he wants to be on the day and time he wants to be there.TE]

You sir are a fucking genius. Thanks for sharing that lil nugget.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I get both sides. I know he is out there hot, cold, new moon, north wind, whatever. I hunt a place that gets very little pressure. I have been very patient this year trying to hunt when my odds should be increased. Interesting comments for sure!

RH I am not sure I have ever really thought of hunting a buck with a cross wind...got my gears turning.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Hunt as much as you can. Right now, find the acorns, find the does and wait on the buck.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    RH I am not sure I have ever really thought of hunting a buck with a cross wind...got my gears turning.
    I just checked the date - it was October 18th, 2014.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Real time, actually like 30 minutes ago

20171012_185419.jpg

I'm not complaining about the Heat

I believe our latest weather has proven it doesn't affect things as much as other factors.