Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another thief.....

Default Another thief.....

Came home around 1pm today (in Anderson) to let my dog out, and there’s an old Toyota Camry backed in my driveway with all the doors and trunk opened.

At first I didn’t know what was happening, but quickly realized someone was going through my carport trying to load down the Camry with all they could grab.

At first, I blocked them in and called the cops, but realized I didn’t have my gun in the truck. I back the truck up and out runs this 40ish year old white guy wearing a construction vest, with my toolbox in his hand. He jumps in the Camry, flies through my yard with his trunk still open. I followed him, took a road I thought would cut him off, but ended up losing him.

Get back to my house, cops are all there. Realize he was in process of trying to get the motor off my boat. Luckily I got home just before he got it. Going to ask the police to come fingerprint the motor and see what they can do.

Moral of the story: I need to be more consistent in carrying my pistol. And, I hate thieves.

Truck gun...

WTF, you should have rammed his fucking car in your driveway and found something to beat the hell out of him with.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yea, I’ve thought about that running it through my head over and over, but it all happpned in like 20 seconds and I really didn’t know what he was doing until he jumped in the car with my toolbox.

If I could go back, that would be my play.

Your camera is about as useful a tool for this kind of stuff.

Glad you got him before he got the motor. And that you happened upon him rather than your family.

I won't second guess you as I'm sure you are doing plenty of that yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    WTF, you should have rammed his fucking car in your driveway and found something to beat the hell out of him with.
    There was a guy around here that did something similar. He didn't have his gun on him and caught a guy in his garage, he ended up nearly beating the thief to death with a set of hedge clippers.

I just picked up on the construction vest.

Like an orange vest?

I guess that is his cover when he's scoping the homes out.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Glad you got him before he got the motor. And that you happened upon him rather than your family.

I won't second guess you as I'm sure you are doing plenty of that yourself.
    Yep. Very thankful it wasn’t my wife getting back from work. Also would have been a bad start to the upcoming Duck season to not have a motor...
    Last edited by Clemsontider; 10-10-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I just picked up on the construction vest.

Like an orange vest?

I guess that is his cover when he's scoping the homes out.
    Yea, that’s what confused me at first. It was an orange vest like he was working for the utility company. Didn’t know he was a thief until he jumped in the car with my toolbox.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsontider View Post
    Yea, I’ve thought about that running it through my head over and over, but it all happpned in like 20 seconds and I really didn’t know what he was doing until he jumped in the car with my toolbox.

If I could go back, that would be my play.
    You are alive and that is good. If you are going to engage an enemy, you need to do so with overwhelming force, and that, of course, presupposes some knowledge of the enemy's likely capabilities. A handgun is a good tool for many situations, but for a scenario like you mentioned, an AR-15 or a shotgun combined with cover, would probably have been a better tool. It turned out to be one guy that may or may not have been armed. How would it have been to pull out a Glock G43 or a Shield and confront the guy only to find out there were 4 or 5 armed guys. Bottom line you are alive. Don't second guess yourself too much. Something like this could have gone down a number of ways.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Plates?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    You are alive and that is good. If you are going to engage an enemy, you need to do so with overwhelming force, and that, of course, presupposes some knowledge of the enemy's likely capabilities. A handgun is a good tool for many situations, but for a scenario like you mentioned, an AR-15 or a shotgun combined with cover, would probably have been a better tool. It turned out to be one guy that may or may not have been armed. How would it have been to pull out a Glock G43 or a Shield and confront the guy only to find out there were 4 or 5 armed guys. Bottom line you are alive. Don't second guess yourself too much. Something like this could have gone down a number of ways.
    Absolutely. I knew I didn’t have anything to stop him and he very likely had a weapon of some sort.

Thankful nothing bad happened other than losing a box of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Plates?
    Nope, he was backed in, and left in a hurry. I followed him but was never close enough to get the plates once we got on the road. He cut through my yard where I didn’t have an angle to see the plates.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    How would it have been to pull out a Glock G43 or a Shield and confront the guy only to find out there were 4 or 5 armed guys.
    he'd have two rounds left after killing 5 of them?

What part of town are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the city, close to Bellview Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    he'd have two rounds left after killing 5 of them?
    I like the way you think
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsontider View Post
    Absolutely. I knew I didn’t have anything to stop him and he very likely had a weapon of some sort.

Thankful nothing bad happened other than losing a box of tools.
    Exactly! You did the right thing giving your unarmed state, and, contrary to what others have said, going berserk on someone without knowing if they are armed, or if they are one of many who may be armed, is not too bright. Now if a loved one had been inside, all bets are off. If not, back out and call the professionals, provided you live somewhere with a quick response time. If not, and it will take them 20 minutes to get to you, better start thinking about carrying something heavy. I'm putting together a .300 blackout pistol build for a truck gun as we speak.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.

So if this guy were unarmed and you shot him, would this be illegal. Or would you have to worry about getting in trouble with the law.