Thread: Greater Yellowstone’s coming plague

Default Greater Yellowstone’s coming plague

http://mountainjournal.org/a-wildlif...to-yellowstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting read. Never understood the feeding programs.

I think its to curb some of the winter die off during the harsh time.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

So it's a liberal entitlement program for elk that will lead to the death of the entire herd?

Who fed 'em during those times before we "saved" them?
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    So it's a liberal entitlement program for elk that will lead to the death of the entire herd?

Well, just to play devil's advocate for a second. Elk were originally plains animals who got pushed into the mountains and after that, during harsh winters the fed down into the valleys where the snow wasn't as deep. Now those valleys are either occupied by people or farmed. The farming technology produces less waste now then it did 20 years ago so there is less feed.

Their supplemental feeding program is not much different than our neatly manicured winter food plots/corn piles. Only difference is they don't get shot at while they are trying to survive.

Just to make a note here: I am not saying I agree with the system either. Especially with the risk of CWD so close by. But it is what it is.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 10-10-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Well, just to play devil's advocate for a second. Elk were originally plains animals who got pushed into the mountains and after that, during harsh winters the fed down into the valleys where the snow wasn't as deep. Now those valleys are either occupied by people or farmed. The farming technology produces less waste now then it did 20 years ago so there is less feed.

Their supplemental feeding program is not much different than our neatly manicured winter food plots/corn piles. Only difference is they don't get shot at while they are trying to survive.

Just to make a note here: I am not saying I agree with the system either. Especially with the risk of CWD so close by. But it is what it is.
    It's a good theory and may be about 1/4 of the reason for it. The reason for it is money. And money likes to look at elk and money doesn't like to think about elk getting hunted and shot for sport and food. They are fed to keep money happy so it can see the pretty little elk and build fancy lamps out of their antlers. Saving the elk is tertiary.

dont mess with mother nature. she does a great job with balance....

over time
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

"JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

It's a good theory and may be about 1/4 of the reason for it. The reason for it is money. And money likes to look at elk and money doesn't like to think about elk getting hunted and shot for sport and food. They are fed to keep money happy so it can see the pretty little elk and build fancy lamps out of their antlers. Saving the elk is tertiary.
    And there you have it.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

A good podcast on CWD. Its interesting how Norway dealt with it and scary how resilient that prion is.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...sting-disease/

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...see/750293001/

With deer hunting season underway, state wildlife officials are asking hunters who travel outside the state to be mindful of import restrictions before returning home.

The restrictions are in place in an effort to keep chronic wasting disease out of Tennessee.

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has launched a social media campaign to remind hunters who pursue big game, including deer, elk and moose, about the restrictions.

There are 24 states in the United States and two Canadian provinces that are CWD positive and importation from them is banned.

CWD is a contagious and neurological disease deadly to members of the cervid family. It is transmitted through animal to animal contact, animal contact with a contaminated environment and with contaminated food or water sources.

CWD is not known to infect humans or livestock.

"We are so fortunate that we have not had to deal with CWD in our state," TWRA assistant wildlife and forest chief Chuck Yoest said. "If Tennessee ever becomes CWD positive, it will mean that our agency will have to spend a tremendous amount of our focus on containing it. In terms of deer hunting, this disease would cause us to rethink how we manage our herds."

Yoest said Tennessee's elk herd, which is much smaller than the deer heard, also could be jeopardized by a CWD outbreak.

Tennessee's import restrictions require that the carcasses of deer, elk and moose legally killed outside the state be cleaned and dressed beyond what is typically done by most hunters before being brought into the state.

The states and Canadian provinces where the CWD importation ban is in place are: Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Reach Mike Organ at 615-259-8021 and on Twitter @MikeOrganWriter.

They must feel guilty after introducing an invasive wolf species that killed off half of them and continue to do so.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    A good podcast on CWD. Its interesting how Norway dealt with it and scary how resilient that prion is.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...sting-disease/
    Listened to that one as well. It is bad news for sure.

One of the more interesting bits from the podcast was about deer attractants (doe urine, etc.), all of which come from captive operations, being a possible vehicle for the spread of CWD to new areas.

What got me is that they still don't know how long the prion can survive in an affected area after all of the hosts have been removed. That's like some end of the world scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    They must feel guilty after introducing an invasive wolf species that killed off half of them and continue to do so.
    Preach! One thing about the wolf is it is moving them back out on the prairie where they can see shit coming a mile away.
    cut\'em

They seemed to do OK when Harv's relatives were running the show.

we ate the dumb ones first kept the herd strong.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.