OMC = peice of dog shit.
    Also, you're crazy.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by DJA View Post
    What you're describing is like no OMC built evinrude or Johnson I have ever run across but I'll take your word for it that it won't blow up with your special touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What?

It's cool. You don't have to understand.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    What?

It's cool. You don't have to understand.
    What? I said I believe you. Just never seen one.

"I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Well I'm with the gypsy on this one. I've had 4 different Johnson outboards and they have all served me well. Currently running an 03 johnson BRP 150. Has about 75 hours on it

Maybe I'm lucky...or I likely was lucky until I post this. Regardless, I have a 1985 Evinrude 30 on my little boat with an ungodly amount of hours. It's been a very dependable and reliable beater we've owned it since new. Run it at Pawley's a few times every year, rinse it well and use it in freshwater swamps and rivers the rest of the year. I worry about it from time to time but it just keeps on ticking. I do like those Tohatsu 25's and everything I keep reading about them though.

To the OP, sorry for derailing. Good luck and keep us posted if you go with a Tohatsu they seem like the better option for small outboards these days.

My engine runs great, the lower units are my problem. I've heard the short shafts are notorious for having a week foot.
    867-5309

Not to mention it is hard to find a 15" unit
    867-5309

Stupid question but can you tell before it goes out or is it instantly? Any surging or indication it's going?

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Stupid question but can you tell before it goes out or is it instantly? Any surging or indication it's going?
    the first time the lower unit went out on mine, i had just made about a 2 mile run on plane, i came off plane and was idling to the fishing spot. all of a sudden, the motor shut off without warning. lower unit completely locked up.

the second time i was out of town fishing a bowfishing tournament. the night before the tournament it started making a squeelin/ticking/grinding sound while scouting. the next morning, checked the fluid, metal flakes everywhere. i drained the fluid, put new fluid in, tried to flush out all the metal flakes. the night of the tournament i backed it off the trailer, put it in forward and it was done. lost first place in tournament because of it. i was on the fish.

there is a reason you cant buy a JOHNSON anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    First time I hit a stump in potato creek at the 3am blast off
    Second time the motor had quit going into reverse se , I continued to use it and she just gave out on me in a sharp turn full throttle. That one was a preventative thing.
    Third time I hit a trunk in the cooper river coming in wide open at low-med tide. Bent my stainless prop and exploded the inside of my foot.
    This last time I've been really mature and taking care of it. I noticed the reverse was starting to slip some , and also the seal around the prop shaft started leaking a little so I took it to a mechanic last year. Come to find out the dog clutch was a good bit worn and my shaft was slightly bent. Anyways the reason for the bent shaft is I never got the bend in my prop fixed, which causes wobble. So a month or so ago I take my prop to get it fixed which was only $50 and I don't know why I put stuff off like I do. I put the boat in Saturday to take it for a short run to get ready for the upcoming activities and once again clacka lacka bang and my lower unit is out again! I didn't hit anything this time I swear.
    867-5309

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Well I'm with the gypsy on this one. I've had 4 different Johnson outboards and they have all served me well. Currently running an 03 johnson BRP 150. Has about 75 hours on it
    Where's Dr Duck, doesn't he have like 2k hours on his etec?

I've never seen a crabber running a OMC.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Ill paddle before i own a johnson. If you have good luck with one awesome good for you. Never had a problem with a merc. Have had a few probs with my yamaha but it turned out to be bad fuel line coming from tank.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've never seen a crabber running a OMC.
    You never went to the outer banks circa 1990, did you?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I saw a crabber running an OMC 3 years ago out of Beaufort. He made it about 20 ft from the dock and it blew up on him. True Story.

"I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

"Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

You never went to the outer banks circa 1990, did you?
    I go every year. And all I see in their yards are piles of OMC motors, and their boats have suzukis hung on them now.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

That's because those OMCs had 10k hrs on 'em and burned oil for fun. And, also, because OMC no longer exists.

Now, they buy those torque monster Suzys and roll out with an oil change or two every year.

The neighbor at Harkers Island bought the first 4stroke I ever saw in the late 90s (I think). It was a Suzuki and it would tote as many people as you could fit in a 24ft skiff on plane all day. He ferried folks from Harkers Island to the Cape before the feds came in and shut that shit down (cocksuckers).
    Last edited by turbo; 10-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

That's because those OMCs had 10k hrs on 'em and burned oil for fun. And, also, because OMC no longer exists.
    I thought they were collecting net anchors, but what ever helps you justify your obsession for staying broke down on the water...