Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, do you use Facebook?

Default So, do you use Facebook?

Do you? if so, why? I never intended to sign up for an account, but when my wife's cousin was telling me about and trying to hook me up with a low price FEMA Katrina trailer to use as housing for my OOS hunts, he sent me a picture of one...on his Facebook account. I had to sign up for an account to look at it, and I figured there would be no harm in creating an account and looking at the picture...after all, I had no intention of ever getting wrapped up in the mess. So, I created an account, filled in some personal info, and did what I had to do to look at the picture and determine that I would wait until I could afford a decent camper. Within 24 hours, I had a pile of notifications that turned out to be friend requests. There were a couple from folks I had lost touch with and would have liked to reconnect with, and there were several more from people I had forgotten about and thought it weird that they would want to "friend" me. Then there was one from an ex-girlfriend; this particular ex and I parted ways when things were actually going really well between us. She was a little hottie two years into a blossoming career with a big time accounting firm, a FU-money rich dad, and she liked to party as much as, if not more than I did at the time...and anyone who knows me knows I ran fast and hard on the razors edge through my first stint in college into my late 20s. This girl decided to "let me go" when I told her I was going out west after graduation, just as I had always planned to do (she knew this). I had every intention of staying true to her and hooking back up after my year in Colorado...she wanted me to drop that idea, move to Columbia, settle down, and possibly marry her, and she thought that giving me an ultimatum would get me to stay...that just made me understand that she was not the girl for me. So, we went to her dad's place in the mountains, did a bunch of illegal and fun party favors, did some intense break-up romping, and parted ways. I say all this to highlight the fact that there was absolutely nothing, NOTHING good that could come from clicking on that "accept as friend" button, and by the grace of God, there was no temptation whatsoever for me to do so...but I know a lot of my friends that would have hit the button...you know, just because they were friends and to just catch up...and we all know where that leads.

It was right then and there that I realized the evil and destruction that Facebook could unleash, and realized that the potential evil's far, far outweighed the cool convenience factor of "staying in touch." I could not have ever guessed the magnitude of the evils that could flourish because of Facebook or the number of ways Facebook could facilitate the spread of evil, but I did realize, in less than one day of having an account, that the potential for personal and professional harm was HUGE and it was something to be avoided at all costs. I have never logged-on since.

So, here is my point...if you use it, why? Do you not see it for exactly what it is? It may have started off innocently enough as a great idea that would make the founder rich, but the power that it has created has corrupted all who profit from it, and Facebook, by it's very nature, makes it far too easy for well-intentioned users to walk far too close to the edge of temptation...of right and wrong. For every good thing it offers, there are multiple horrible consequences. Cyber bullying of children is far, far more traumatic and unstoppable vs the face to face bullying we grew up with...which was traumatic enough. This beast quickly evolved into a vehicle for brainwashing and group-think, and if your kids are on there, you are now competing with millions of people who are masters of manipulation who are working as hard as possible to teach them values that are counter to the values you are trying to instill in them...and don't for a second underestimate the power and persuasiveness of those people and overestimate yours...we all fought our parents tooth and nail at critical times in our development, as that is human-nature, and hopefully, all that they thought us stuck and helped mold our character as we matured...but we did not have a million people that we thought were important and that we wanted to be accepted by constantly telling us just how wrong our parents were. We didn't have any adults telling us how wrong our parents were and using incredibly stealthy and manipulative tactics to turn us against their teachings.

All of the evil on this earth has existed throughout history...its always been here; the violent, divisive, evil state that the world finds itself in right now....with evil seemingly gaining ground at the speed of light while seemingly sane people argue against doing anything about it....you can not convince me that the wildfire spread of this evil is 100% due to Facebook and other social media platforms that exist today.

If you can argue against that, lets hear it. If you can't, please answer why the ^%&* you or anyone you love has an account.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I use it. I may post a few times a week. I may not post for a few weeks.

I may look at it for a few minutes, a few times a day, or I may go days without looking at it.

Do I hate it? Essentially, yes. Would society be better without it? Yes. But something similar, or worse, would rear its evil head.

Instagram, Snapchat, and many others are out there, and they can be used for much worse purposes.

I see where you're coming from, and I respect your decision. However, like anything else that be used to destroy us, it can also be a useful tool. It's just up to you to decide how to utilize it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Social media is still media and controlled the same way...the majority of conservatives are going to be pissed off if they spend any time watching it or reading it.

I signed on to FB at the suggestion of our IT manager to try to locate a woman in Cali that somehow used my email address when applying for a job...not Wal Mart job...a CFO position at a big company. I didn't want her to miss her interview so I tried FB. 3 days later I had 100 friend request...some i accepted and some I rejected. 6 years later I use it to stay in touch with distant family predominantly, laugh at idiotic crap my "friends" post, and thank people for the birthday wishes. I am on less than 10 minutes a week and most weeks I don't look at it at all. It is not a distraction and I don't get consumed in the drama surrounding it.

Kids today don't use FB...they even say it is for adults. Snapchat and other back door messaging systems in different apps are what kids use today.

Don't have it, don't want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post

This.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post

This right here.

I use it just like I use this site. For humor and giggles when I need a little break from the real world. Temptation is everywhere, my friend. I am strong willed enough to know what is right or wrong regardless of what some asshat on the inter web says.

Use it for the market place and used retriever training equipment group. The market place is WAY mo betta than craigslist. You don't have to put up with the camel jockeys and the spam calls and emails......

Other than that, if anyone wants to get in touch with me they better call my ass!!
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 10-03-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Use it and have culled what I look at and have settings at private. I don't have 50 million "friends" nor do I want them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I see more pictures of dead shit on there than I do here. Not to mention bikini clad women in the summer time. I try to scroll past everything else.

I f****** love summer

This time of year is really cool though

Some folks actually think that they have that many "friends". You wouldn't find too many of those "friends" showing up if you were in a real bind though.

I've got facepage. I am an adult so I don't go into posting wild late night deep thoughts or anything personal on there. It has been used more as business

fuck summer
    and facebook

Whitewaterduck sure does use a lot of words....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Im just going to pretend I didn't read that

i have it, am never on it. i could not give two shits about someone's personal problems that they post on there or what they're bitching about with hillary, trump, antifa, etc. life is a lot simpler this way
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

2th always struck me as more of a fall guy, what with pumpkin beers and all
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

He doesn't like to get hot

truth
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.