Thread: Help me prepare dove field for next season

Default Help me prepare dove field for next season

Have not prepared a dove field since the years of when we could cut, plow and top sow wheat just before the season opened . My few dove hunts since then have been on other fields

My SIL/daughter have a 50 acre track of land that has about a 10-12 acre some what grown up pasture(SIL Mom had horses there years ago before she died suddenly when he was young).

Friend of mine dropped his tractor with bush hog and a disk harrow off out there so I could bush hog the field and actually fixing a good size food lot on back side for deer season. . Been a lot of hours on the tractor last couple weeks when I have time since field has not been cut in at least 2 years

Land has huge water oaks on 2 1/2 sides and some scattered smaller trees in back part of field . Pretty much open on front half for most part, no power line other than along the road

Is there anything I can do now to help with small dove field for next season.

I know lot of folks plant sunflowers but I know nothing about planting those, SIL is a Clemson student and can get some help from there (he has landscaping/agricultural background courses but changed major to business )

I am thinking in late spring to disk up what will be the food plot for deer season and plant something in that and right after Labor Day cut that and plow and replant for deer season

Kind of a new at this so any help would be appreciated.

I am getting told all kinds of stuff but not sure what is easiest to do, can have tractor anytime I need it.
    Last edited by tprice; 10-01-2017 at 08:08 PM.

All I can say is good luck...My suggestion is put up a fence to keep the deer away and try to do whatever you can to keep the weeds under control.

Why wait till next season why not top sow some wheat to hunt doves in November.

The law has changed again so that top sewing wheat is now an agricultural practice. The key is it has to be done after a certain date. I think the legal date is October 1 but double check that.

As for next year I'd plant a variety and put it somewhere the birds want to be anyway. Gravel/sand and water are good draws.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Why wait till next season why not top sow some wheat to hunt doves in November.

We talked about that as well, was not sure if that was legal or not.

Will not be a primary place to deer hunt, just a spot I can run to in an afternoon or for a quick early am hunt. Only 10 minutes from my house and 10 minutes from my office

So some late season dove shoots would be no problem
    Last edited by tprice; 10-02-2017 at 07:42 AM.

its legal October 1st until maybe the 14th.